advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving mexican fan palm
mexican fan palm
miked

Posted: 2008-07-28 09:04 am   Permalink

i dont know if i am saying it correct but how do you debark a mexican palm for tiki carving reasons, i was told to use a razor blade but there is no way its far to thick an tough

View Profile of miked Send a personal message to miked      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 09:26 am   Permalink

You will need to use a draw knife I think.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/default.php?cPath=36_104&gclid=CMiHydD_4pQCFSQdagodiy1CSw

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VonTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-28 09:30 am   Permalink

Use a razor knife and keep going around it , eventually you'll get it. If you have a teenage son, you can put him to work on it, or hire some mexican day labor to help, they can zip that thing down to nothing in no time. Once you get through all the husk,and you've got a trimmed log, you can use a draw knife to remove the skin and shave it off. some guys use electric planers, but I have found the draw knife to work best. Good cardio workout too!

[ This Message was edited by: VonTiki 2008-07-28 09:35 ]

View Profile of VonTiki Send a personal message to VonTiki  Email VonTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 09:30 am   Permalink

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-_ZuqP7Ry2s

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VonTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-28 09:45 am   Permalink

I'm on my way to home depot to buy a new planer after seeing that! Thanks Buzz!

View Profile of VonTiki Send a personal message to VonTiki  Email VonTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
miked

Posted: 2008-07-28 8:27 pm   Permalink

thanks to all that replied i as well am off to home depot hey what about the queen palms in my frot yard how do you de bark them

View Profile of miked Send a personal message to miked      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-28 8:28 pm   Permalink

Loved the YouTube...never seen that kind of action before...you made it look simple, but I know that's not the case...looking forward to episode 3.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 07:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-28 20:27, miked wrote:
thanks to all that replied i as well am off to home depot hey what about the queen palms in my frot yard how do you de bark them

I've never heard a Queen bark.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VonTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-29 11:08 pm   Permalink

I've heard too many queens bark.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation