Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Live Exotica in St. Pete, Friday Aug. 1
Live Exotica in St. Pete, Friday Aug. 1
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 09:09 am   Permalink

Im happy to announce that my new exotica combo, Stolen Idols, will play at the Salvador Dali Museum this Friday, Aug. 1, as part of its summer jazz series. Were playing 5 pm to 8 pm.

We are (currently) a quartet with piano, vibes/marimba, upright bass and percussion. Well be doing a combination of Latin jazz, exotica, and straight ahead jazz.

Hope to see you there!

http://www.salvadordalimuseum.org/events/calendar.html

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-28 09:23 am   Permalink

Who's doing the birdcalls ?

have a great first gig !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-28 09:29 am   Permalink

We will try and make it up and will throw a bird call out at ya!

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 09:36 am   Permalink

We'll probably have some pre-recorded nature/jungle sounds in the background on key tunes. Of course, live bird calls are encouraged.

We're still in the process of building up the exotica content of our setlist. Still, if you like Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Cal Tjader, and that Shearing sound, you'll dig it.

[ This Message was edited by: OnyaBirri 2008-07-28 09:37 ]

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 4:51 pm   Permalink

I'm going to try to make this as best I can.
Big shot client in on Thursday.
Deadline on Sunday.

I think Exotica on Friday would throw a little excitement into the weekend.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 3:34 pm   Permalink

Great to hear Pablus. I think Tiki Bill will make it Friday also.

Be sure to say hi when you're there (I play piano).

Hope to see everyone at the Dali!

TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 02:04 am   Permalink

Good to see the price dip to 7.50 ...

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 11:07 am   Permalink

Heck. Not looking very probable for tonight.
Can't leave until 6:30 at the earliest and that puts me there for the final 30 minutes after the drive.
I hate to watch bands pack up and leave.

Hope it goes great and I sure am sorry to miss this. I've been waiting for this kind of thing in the area ever since I moved here. After wearing out the carpet at every jazz club within a 50 mile radius I'm now shocked at how few live venues actually put bands of any kind into their employ.

It's great that you were able to get this going and I hope it keeps going so I can check it out at a more opportune time. I also hope someone gets a video or a few snaps or recordings of it.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lounge Laura Taylor

Posted: 2008-08-08 09:12 am   Permalink

YOU GUYS KILLED IT!:)

Quote:

On 2008-07-28 09:09, OnyaBirri wrote:
Im happy to announce that my new exotica combo, Stolen Idols, will play at the Salvador Dali Museum this Friday, Aug. 1, as part of its summer jazz series. Were playing 5 pm to 8 pm.

We are (currently) a quartet with piano, vibes/marimba, upright bass and percussion. Well be doing a combination of Latin jazz, exotica, and straight ahead jazz.

Hope to see you there!

http://www.salvadordalimuseum.org/events/calendar.html

View Profile of Lounge Laura Taylor Send a personal message to Lounge Laura Taylor  Email Lounge Laura Taylor Goto the website of Lounge Laura Taylor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation