FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 08:54 am   Permalink

I found this over on the Lotta Livin'Board and no one has an answer for the guy. I know someone here knows!

"So here's a slide I picked up recently. The eBay info reads Vintage color slide of a man posing in front of what appears to be a Nightclub. The sign above reads Room. This was probably in the Los Angeles area. I had other slides with this man in the same clothes at Disneyland. Slide stamped May 1959.

So, who has some idea where this was/might have been? My first thought was South Main, since that's where all the more interesting places liked to congregate. But the way this bay is set up doesn't seem to quite jive with the Burbank/Burlesk theater facade (which if its neighbor is 544, would make this 546 SM)."

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 10:07 am   Permalink

.i'm almost positive it's the bamboo room in seattle....i have another photo i can post later which i actually pulled from here, but i forget wht thread it's on....it shows a palm tree on the sign and i see a hint of the bottom of it in your slide...plus, the buildings architecture on both side of him also looks like it was from that place..i'm sure this is the same place...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 10:51 am   Permalink

This image?

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 12:26 pm   Permalink

that's the one...but now that i see it i may be wrong...

..and furthermore...who the hell takes a picture of themselves in front of the place they want to remember and fail to include the sign??

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-29 12:29 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 1:04 pm   Permalink

Ther eis just enough to say, could be. Sign is at the right height and place. The facade on th ebuilding to the left looks about right, but the front of this building doesn't quite look right. If only the first picture were just a little further away, we'd know.

That image is from Tacoma ather than Seattle.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ekomomai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-29 3:39 pm   Permalink

There was a bar called the Islander in Tacoma, on A and S 11th street. There's another thread running around here that had a picture of the menu, and the illustration was somewhat similar in style as the storefront.
Whoops - re-reading the first post, I now see the reference to Los Angeles. Sorry - never mind.

[ This Message was edited by: Ekomomai 2008-07-29 15:41 ]

View Profile of Ekomomai Send a personal message to Ekomomai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MsSwanky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-29 4:22 pm   Permalink

Just an observation - If you look at the lower left hand corner of the 'next door' building (544, the blue building) there is a small wall, along the sidewalk, with those green Asian tiles (like Trader Vic's & Mai Kai have). Then look at the bottom portion of the wall with the mural. Under the mural there appear to be more of those same tiles embedded into the wall. Makes me wonder if the blue side of the building is a part of the same business?
So, maybe he's not standing in front of the actual entrance? Maybe there's more to that building than just the section with the mural?
Curiosity peaked...

View Profile of MsSwanky Send a personal message to MsSwanky      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-29 4:27 pm   Permalink

Makes ya wish you had one of those fake computers you see in the movies. Then you could just zoom into a window, see a reflection of a TV store across the street, then zoom into the reflection of one of the TV's and read the reflection of the sign!

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 5:04 pm   Permalink

it looks like it's somewhere in china town..that would explain the tiles, plus i think the store to the left is selling kimono's or robes and it looks like chinese characters written vertically up the white column in the store window...but which china town?? and what town?

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-07-29 6:05 pm   Permalink

I did a search of "544" here on Tiki Central and came up with this Woofmutt thread ~
Tiki Past: Seattle, Wash

Which features this -

and this

and an awesome matchbook, click the link and check it out. Could that be the Tiki Hut?

Maybe one of you Seattle Hipsters should get off your ass and check it out.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 6:09 pm   Permalink

looks like it might be it....the shell room could have been a bar next to the restaurant with it's own separate doorway so you could enter from the street if you didn't feel like having a meal...not an uncommon feature on most bars back in the day...

a quick google search reveals that the place is still open and it's called chen's village...same town, same address....queen anne neighborhood....let's roll seattle tiki people...we have a mission!!

" measuring destroys art!!"

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-29 18:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-29 18:12 ]

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-07-29 6:13 pm   Permalink

"Welcome to chensvillage.com! Our site is under construction, please check back soon!"

Anyone up there know?

Edited because Tipsy beat me to it! Bah!

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2008-07-29 18:14 ]

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 6:17 pm   Permalink

..nothing on ebay either....

dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-29 6:20 pm   Permalink

Chen's is still on Elliott.. i've passed by many times. but havent stopped in ~ i'll put that on my "to do list".. but it looks nothing like the pic posted.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-29 6:22 pm   Permalink

oh and in Seattle.. the N W S NW SW SE designations are critical as are the Ave, Way, Circle etc modifiers. i must use a GPS to find my way around, even after 6 years here. i'll check 'em both out.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation