[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki pix of carving a tiki from scratch
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
pix of carving a tiki from scratch
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-09 7:52 pm   Permalink

Alohaz peopo,

If you no like pay around $100 a ft fo a tiki, den here get a few pointers fo you fo carve your own ya.

first you get a blank log, like dis wun coconut log I get from da Samoan bruddahs who work in da tree cutting buisness.
A great place fo get logs by da way! (tree cutters) just look in your phone book.

den you get your patern you like carve and draw em on da log wit chalk, fo eazy erase if you go an make mistake.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3dd28b3127cce9573220f5f800000001510"
BORDER="0">

den you start carving. jus follow da lines

turn da wood around fo make sho da lines you just cut all straight.

if you gon carve em on da kine...cement, you need get some wood to put unda da tiki to protect it from da concrete. I made a mistake wun time and when i finished i had to sand it down again because you could see all da rock patterns indented into da wood....dumb a$$ !!!

i hollowed out da bottom to take off some weight(good fo real heavy logs) you no have to carve nuting on da base. As you see in dis pick i made some holes going all da way around da base. Thats because i gon put a red light in da hollowed spot to show trew da holes at night.

den you finish em wit whatevas you like

if you get space fo display a mug like in da warriors helmet den put em in da space fo get you wun nice tiki mug shrine. or jus leave em empty.

close ups

den carve your name in da back and wala! you wen finished your first tiki and it only took you 7 months! hehe. dats how long it felt on my first wun.

da udda pic is one 6 foot tiki panel i wen made a few days ago. Don the beachcomber use to used these in his bars. Anette, owner of La Mariana, now owns all da Waikiki DTB tiki panels, and has them displayed beautifully in her restaurant. these are great fo display in da tiki bar! dis is da top of da panel

and da bottom of da tiki panel

and from da beautiful south seas, aloha!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifille
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-09 9:29 pm   Permalink

Gecko, these are great! I love seeing the tiki evolve. The piece I'm working on now is the only one I've documented in phases. I, however removed the tools, debris, and evidence of work from every shot. I think I should have left all that in. Your photos are way more realistic with the tools and chips left in. Next weekend, I mooch my sister's scanner. Wake up and smell the new millenium, tikifille. Again, Gecko, your work is a joy to see.

View Profile of tikifille Send a personal message to tikifille      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-09 9:30 pm   Permalink

Gecko, thanks for sharing your carving secrets with us. You are definitely showing us the Spirit of Aloha! I'm gonna try one of those panels sometime - however, I'm not too confident it will look as good as yours!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-09 9:31 pm   Permalink

Looking good G. I like the hollowed-out bottom idea.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-09 9:44 pm   Permalink

Tikifille, da only reason i didn't clean up fo da pics is cus i was tired....or lazy. anyways it's fun to see a carving evolve like you sed. I have done this with a few of mine. Good luck wit your carvins braddah.

PP, eh where your carving stey? I thought you was carving a tiki? I gave you a few hints so, no give me excuses! your filipino arent ya? so den carve braddah! it should already be in your blood!

ho, i love da tiki panels! They look great against da wall. if you carve one PP, try on a small wood first.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifille
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-10 07:47 am   Permalink

Gecko-Can a wahine be a braddah? Cuz if not, I'm a sistah.

View Profile of tikifille Send a personal message to tikifille      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-10 08:41 am   Permalink

Nice layout, Gecko. GREAT tiki and GREAT panel....I can only hope these clubs I'm sending are worthy. Is there a drying kiln near your place?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-03-10 09:04 am   Permalink

Gecko,

Pics are great! Hey, is that Black Mercedes Benz in the first picture the same one you tooled over to my house in last April?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-10 09:34 am   Permalink

Gecko, thanks for the tips.
Very nice work. You da' man in de islands brah!

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-10 11:07 am   Permalink

ow, my bad TikiPhille! well well well if it's not da carving wahine! have you posted any ting yet? I might have missed it. keep em coming sista! i like see!

Tanks Chiki, dats great fo heavy logs! like I sed you don't have to carve any ting on da base, jus hollow it out to save your back and it helps shipping charges fo customers.

Bong, ya das da wun! same o' POS! (piece of S*&t) da only ting my dam x left me wit.

BK, you know your clubs are just fine udda wise I woudn't have traded ya! Keep it up dude.

JT, mahalo mahalo! you keep carving in da jungle braddah!

KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-10 10:07 pm   Permalink

WOW.... that thing is really cool. The bar in the back is really nice too. How did you round out the corners on the bar's edge? Is that bamboo or rattan?

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-11 09:17 am   Permalink

Kahaka,
Da bar is actually stripped of it's beauty(the rattan) I used it on something else. Thats rattan going around the top of the bar. Rattan can be bent if you soak it in boiling water.

aloha

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-11 10:43 am   Permalink

I notice in the first pic there are power tools. A chainsaw? What do you use those for? Just taking out large chunks of wood?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-11 11:18 am   Permalink

I used the chain saw on the hole in the tikis crown. That would have took about a week and 2000 calories burned to get threw that hard coconut trunk with just a chizle.

I don't know how da old ancestors did em with just stone and sea shell chizles!?!?

Oh, back to the rattan. If you have a old piece or new piece and the wrapping starts to get loose or fall off, just boil the wrapping and it will be bendable once again or put a face towel on the wrapping if it's still attached to the chair and place hot water on it and let it sit for a bit. then re-wrap it and nail em.

Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-11 11:52 am   Permalink

Hard to believe, but each piece I see you do, somehow, is better than the last. Great work Bruddah. I agree with Chiki, like the hollow bottom idea. My works been on the back burner, getting the new Keiki's room ready. (Should be here by the end of the month) Plus all the snow hasn't made it easy to do any work outside. been staying in, working on the bar and some music. The War Chant thread's got me busy working on a electronic version(sounds kinda like Moby vs Shinehead). I figure if the Muppets can do it.....BTW how's the site coming along?

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation