FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki De Young Museum, San Francisco, CA (other) *Lots of Thumbnail Images!*
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
De Young Museum, San Francisco, CA (other) *Lots of Thumbnail Images!*
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 12:00 pm   Permalink

Name:De Young Museum
Type:other
Street:50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive
City:San Francisco
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:415.750.3600

Description:
For a better overall description than I could write about the De Young follow this link...

http://www.famsf.org/deyoung/

Now they have an amazing Oceana Collection that has been discussed a bit in varying posts, but here are some of the shots me and my daughter snapped on a visit there. I did not have the time to get descriptions, so you'll have to go there yourself, or sleuth it out with fellow tc'ers via these images. But enjoy the eye candy, and I will be posting more as time permits.

These are clickable thumbnails so don't fret, you can see big versions with just one click. I also did some close up cropping on that fabled Trader Vic's Tiki...

Enjoy.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener 2008-07-30 12:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikigardener 2008-07-30 13:17 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 12:35 pm   Permalink

More photos kids...

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 12:49 pm   Permalink

Last batch barring a few others...
Mostly drums here.

Hope you guys dig this, we certainly did!
TG

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 1:29 pm   Permalink

We are, Scott, but we certainly would do so MUCH more if all these images would not be in the thumbnail size they are now. It was discussed here before, I think this happens when they are not hosted by TC, but by a photo site like flicker.

It is amazing that they have so many cool pieces, I never see the DeYoung mentioned anywhere. If the new LACMA acquisition was 5 Million bucks worth, this collection must be worth many times more. You have a treasure there, San Franciscans.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 1:35 pm   Permalink

They are clickable for larger versions. I figured rather than bog computers with the full size, I'd give you the viewing audience, the option of choosing which ones you would like to see full size.

I can put them up full size, what say the masses? Thumbs or full size?

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 1:42 pm   Permalink

Aaah, of course, we had that before, and I forgot about it. Sorry, that fully suffices for my needs, thanks Scott.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 4:07 pm   Permalink

awsome photos,thats quite alot to take in. thanks a ton for sharing!

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 12:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-30 13:29, bigbrotiki wrote:
We are, Scott, but we certainly would do so MUCH more if all these images would not be in the thumbnail size they are now. It was discussed here before, I think this happens when they are not hosted by TC, but by a photo site like flicker.

It is amazing that they have so many cool pieces, I never see the DeYoung mentioned anywhere. If the new LACMA acquisition was 5 Million bucks worth, this collection must be worth many times more. You have a treasure there, San Franciscans.

Speaking of acquisitions...

You can always go to the gift shop and get some Oceana looking shields and masks for a very agreeable price! I think between $150 and about $275 or so... maybe more on some...

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 2:34 pm   Permalink

Apparently one of the Covarrubias "Pageant of the Pacific" murals (flora and fauna) was installed there recently and it seems there are a couple of related events tomorrow night:

Friday 1st August

6:00-8:30 p.m.
Art-making for the Entire Family. Create an animal amulet necklace inspired by the Covarrubias mural in the Art of the Americas gallery.

Koret Auditorium
7:00 p.m.
Lecture: - Diego Rivera, Covarrubias, and the San Francisco Murals Tradition, by William Maynez, a mural historian at City College of San Francisco.

Thanks for the pics!

[ This Message was edited by: Paipo 2008-07-31 23:28 ]

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 3:01 pm   Permalink

My work had those murals in storage and I was very fortunate to see the panels up close and personal.

And no prob for the pics, if you couldn't tell I enjoy taking them!

TG
http://exotic-tiki-gardens.com

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener 2008-07-31 15:09 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 10:47 pm   Permalink

Scott! And you didn't call me !!!?

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 08:19 am   Permalink

It's OK, I got to see them in situ

Thank you again for your great post, Scott, I will definitely seek out the De Young when in S.F. next....I must find that early 50s depiction of the Maori Tiki that Vic used.

And how exciting to hear that one of the Covarrubias maps will be on display again.
Please San Franciscans, keep us posted about that here! I wish I could go to that mural lecture today, that sounds great! Kind of ironic that a member from the other side of the world had to tell us about it...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-08-01 08:24 ]

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 4:18 pm   Permalink

TG! Dang, if only I'd known you were going to be there! The deYoung is a short stumble from my place, and I've been meaning to get back there to take more/better pictures, it would have been a blast to do it with you. Dang, dang, dang!

Thanks also for the heads-up on the Covarrubias thing tonight, Paipo -- I probably can't make it, but I'll keep an eye out for the mural the next time I'm there.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 5:58 pm   Permalink

oh yeah, thanks for the photos! A ton of PNG masterpieces. I wish I could get to SF. You guys on the west coast are so lucky in so many ways.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 10:50 pm   Permalink

I actually saw the announcement about the mural on Dinosaurs and Robots and was already going to post it here when I saw that this thread had conveniently been freshly created.
Looking at the DeYoung site it seems there is a regular series of Friday night lectures and events, including bands and a cocktail bar, but unfortunately the Covarrubias lectures have all been and gone now.

Also, I posted this link in the thread about the TV logo tiki, but it's probably worth mentioning the other DeYoung connection with Trader Vic in this one too. That Marquesan crown would be worth a visit on its own....

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation