Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Oceanside officials vs Tiki daddy
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Oceanside officials vs Tiki daddy
royaltiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-02 08:00 am   Permalink

You guys see this yet?

OCEANSIDE: Tiki artist's latest work draws city scrutiny

"A few weeks ago, at the prodding of neighborhood kids, tiki artist Steven Tustison, 44, carved large, grinning faces ---- one with a pineapple nose ---- into two towering palms in front of his Freeman Street home...."

[ This Message was edited by: royaltiki 2008-08-02 08:02 ]

View Profile of royaltiki Send a personal message to royaltiki  Email royaltiki Goto the website of royaltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 10:38 am   Permalink

Does defacing require an intent to vandalize?
Why doesnt the City find something better to do?

Judging by the nice appearance of his house, he is harmless.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HinaHinawahine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-02 6:35 pm   Permalink

In the islands we do not deface trees with carvings we choose ones that are cut down and then do our carving. Our canoes are carved from trees that are cut down for this purpose for the Canoe Festival on Maui. This is destruction and even if someone carves their names in a tree, it is hurting the living tree. We respect our aina here but those on the mainland do not. Even our ohana who live on the mainland respect the trees. How would you like it if someone carved into you when you are alive? The City is right in asking him to stop and it is City property. Respect your land. And yes christiki295 the City has to take care of this, it is defacing their property.

View Profile of HinaHinawahine Send a personal message to HinaHinawahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lennieguys
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-03 09:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-02 18:35, HinaHinawahine wrote:
In the islands we do not deface trees with carvings we choose ones that are cut down and then do our carving. Our canoes are carved from trees that are cut down for this purpose for the Canoe Festival on Maui. This is destruction and even if someone carves their names in a tree, it is hurting the living tree. We respect our aina here but those on the mainland do not. Even our ohana who live on the mainland respect the trees. How would you like it if someone carved into you when you are alive? The City is right in asking him to stop and it is City property. Respect your land. And yes christiki295 the City has to take care of this, it is defacing their property.

Yes HinaHina--I agree. I grew up on Kauai, this is kapu. I was appalled when I woke up to this in the morning paper, on the front page no less! This guy is very ignorant and he thinks it's funny. Mahalo for your input, people need to be educated.

View Profile of lennieguys Send a personal message to lennieguys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo stu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 09:17 am   Permalink

The carvings are cool, but won't he be bummed if the trees die!

A) he should have talked to an arborist before picking up the chainsaw.

B) he should have understood whose trees they are, and on learning that they belong to the citizens of O'side, he should have at least consulted his neighbors. If the trees were on his property, it's nobody else's business what he does with them.

Custom Furniture and Cabinets

View Profile of bamboo stu Send a personal message to bamboo stu  Goto the website of bamboo stu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 09:49 am   Permalink

If I went to Tahiti I would want to see natural palms. If they all had a quick job tiki on them it wouldn't be the same paradise.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 10:07 am   Permalink

Whatever your view is, it's hard to believe he's chainsaw carving in shorts and sandals. FAIL. A poor example to the children.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2008-08-03 10:25 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 10:15 am   Permalink

Anybody who claims they didn't realize that the land between the road and the sidewalk is a public easement owned by the city is either very ignorant or flat-out lying. He didn't notice the city crews coming around to trim the palms every year or so?

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 10:29 am   Permalink

well intentioned vandalism

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brice
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-08-03 10:40 am   Permalink

If this was my job or pastime I would take the time to know my art and culture behind it. Ignorance of the law is no excuse and this guy is ignorant.

View Profile of Brice Send a personal message to Brice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 12:20 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know who he is? Does he post here?

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 12:32 pm   Permalink

Yeah, isn't he the jerk that got into a fight at the Tiki Farm Parking Lot Sale? Basically the ONLY fight I've ever seen or heard of at a tiki event. After he got bounced from there, my friend saw him at a local San Clemente watering hole, causing trouble and getting his ass kicked there as well.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 12:57 pm   Permalink

Just so there's no confusion, I live in Oceanside, and I carve tikis, but that is NOT me!

Thank You.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HinaHinawahine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-03 4:37 pm   Permalink

Much mahalos to lennieguys for his input on this being kapu in the islands and the other TC members who agreed. This shows that there are many true believers of nature, island lifestyle and respect for the aina and all it is.

View Profile of HinaHinawahine Send a personal message to HinaHinawahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 4:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-03 12:57, 4WDtiki wrote:
Just so there's no confusion, I live in Oceanside, and I carve tikis, but that is NOT me!

Thank You.

Okay, we forgive you for that because you didn't know the trees weren't yours, but starting the fight at the tiki farm sale was inexcusable! I knew there was something about you when I saw all those tattoos that you had.

Lookout for the those southside "O" tiki gangstas, tagging up the hood...

They call the nice part of Oceanside "Carlsbad."
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation