Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki latour of hawaii
latour of hawaii
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-02 10:03 am   Permalink

Does anyone have any info on this place? Or is it a place? Maybe just a manufacturer? I was in a store the other day, and they had these red and green (i think those were the colors) pagoda shaped tiki mugs. On the bottom, it said "Latour of Hawaii". I didn't pick them up because they almost looked too common, and at $25 a piece, they seemed pretty expensive. I didn't want to buy them only to find out they are a dime a dozen. After searching on ooga-mooga, the only Latour mug I could find was a blue bowl. I can't find any other examples of these mugs. Anybody have any info?

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 12:37 pm   Permalink

Tikis shaped like Pagodas? Or mugs shaped like Pagodas. So is Latour a Tiki mug manufacturer?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-02 1:50 pm   Permalink

Yes, yes, yes.... mugs shaped like pagodas. The tops come off and there is a straw hole in them.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 4:43 pm   Permalink

Here's the Latour pagoda:

I have two; both are hand-marked "Ilikai" with the Latour "LT" logo.

I've asked many people about Latour, but found out very little. I believe Latour was (or is) a woman, and produced a number of different mugs, mostly for the Ilikai hotel. I have a green coconut, a scorpion bowl, and two mugs similar to the Daga two-face and hourglass tiki mugs. I'll try to post photographs of my other mugs later. That's all I know - Freddie may be able to provide more details.

I think Latour falls into the very rare but not recongnized, therefore not collected, category of tiki collectables.

If I saw these pagoda mugs at a store for $25, I would definitely buy them.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-03 01:35 am   Permalink

Hmmm... I guess I may have to go see if they are still there!

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-04 03:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-02 16:43, Koolau wrote:
That's all I know - Freddie may be able to provide more details.

Aloha Koolau! Funny you should ask about that maker, last Sunday, the girl from The Hunter,in Kailua, was asking me about that company...some one there had found two Tiki mugs from there and also a Tall, Don the Beachcomber mug and was wondering what to sell them for. You might want to call or drop by...might still be there!

Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-21 4:00 pm   Permalink

I finally bought the mugs! I couldn't believe they were still there. I hadn't had time to go by that place. They had about 10 of them, but only 3 of them didn't have a chip. So I bought the 3 good ones. I'll give one to my brother.. the other may be destined for ebay or a trade.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation