FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Rum Tasting @ Tiki Oasis in the NorCal Suite (BYOR)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Rum Tasting @ Tiki Oasis in the NorCal Suite (BYOR)
Tikitastic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 12:14 pm   Permalink

TofuJoe and I have have batted around an idea for the last couple of years and we have decided this is the year to try it out. We are always looking for new rums (and other alcohols to try) and it always seems you find the best ones through word of mouth. So, Friday @ 4pm in the NorCal suite (Room 1849) we are inviting you to bring a full bottle of your favorite rum (or gin, vodka, etc.) to share and a cup for your own use.

We will have each person say a few words about why they like this particular rum they brought (plus any info on origin, taste, what drinks they like it in, etc.) and then each person gets a taste (bring your own cup for tasting).

If you are interested in this tasting please post what you are planning on bringing.

Bringing a bottle is required to participate!

View Profile of Tikitastic Send a personal message to Tikitastic  Goto the website of Tikitastic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 12:31 pm   Permalink

Well, it's not rum, but I plan to bring a bottle of Domaine de Canton Ginger & Cognac Liqueur if I can get my hands on one by then.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitastic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 7:27 pm   Permalink

So far, here are some of the drinks people are bringing to share...

Rum Runner - Rhum Clement's Creole Shrubb
Kim the Canuck - Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Year
Mai Tai - Pyrat XO
Panda - Maker's Mark
Tikitastic - One Barrel

[ This Message was edited by: Tikitastic 2008-08-05 19:35 ]

View Profile of Tikitastic Send a personal message to Tikitastic  Goto the website of Tikitastic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 10:33 pm   Permalink

Ooh, I'm sipping a glass of that Ron Zacapa right now! Yummy stuff! Better be ... I earned this bottle!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 11:00 pm   Permalink

So I take it that you're bringing a full bottle for everyone to share then Jen?

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 11:11 pm   Permalink

Um... no, it's not full anymore [hic]

I'm still planning to bring the Canton though!

CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 01:28 am   Permalink

Can't resist a rum tasting. I'm in.
I'll bring a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 02:31 am   Permalink

Awesome, Nelva! Great choice, btw. We'll see you in Suite 1849, where... They're coming to get you, Nelva! To, uh, drink your rum.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 08:47 am   Permalink

its not super expensive but sometimes hard to find,
I will bring a bottle of Macombo dark rum from Mexico.
supposedly its one of the few last rums to be made the mexican way, and not the cuban way in mexico,
good dark rum, not syrupy or carmely great for sipping or mixing,
I get mine at Hi time,
hopefully they will have some.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 2:56 pm   Permalink

BTD -- I just polished off a bottle of that at home! The packaging on that one is really cool.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2008-08-06 3:11 pm   Permalink

I'll bring...something delightful.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brenda's Tiki Hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 08:44 am   Permalink

D#%^! That's during the time we are hosting our room crawl! Wish we could make it. Rum tastings are one of our favorite things. Hope you all (including Martin and Scott) drop by our party before/after theirs.

View Profile of Brenda's Tiki Hut Send a personal message to Brenda's Tiki Hut  Email Brenda's Tiki Hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TofuJoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 2:42 pm   Permalink

I've decided to bring a bottle of rum I've never tried before.

And on further review:
I have a half bottle of Diplomatico Reserva which I'll bring so we can try it side by side with the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. I find this comparison rather interesting.

And maybe something else. Not quite sure yet.

Looking forward to this.

[ This Message was edited by: TofuJoe 2008-08-10 14:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TofuJoe 2008-08-10 14:53 ]

View Profile of TofuJoe Send a personal message to TofuJoe  Goto the website of TofuJoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 12:06 pm   Permalink

I've got these little plastic shot glasses that I'll bring, might be helpful.

Tai Won On
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 08:12 am   Permalink

This sounds like fun. Though I am not nearly as rum saavy the other participants, my hat's in the ring.
I am planning on bringing a bottle I received as a gift and have never tasted. It could be shit, I dunno. It is called Starr. It is from Mauritius. The bottle says "Ultra Superior Light African Rum". As I said, could be shit.

View Profile of Tai Won On Send a personal message to Tai Won On  Email Tai Won On     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation