FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 2:23 pm   Permalink

Name:Coco Palms Resort Hotel
Type:Hotel
Street:4-241 Kuhio Highway
City:Kapaa
State:HI
Zip:96746
Phone:

Description:
I am surprised that no one has posted this wonderful relic in Locating Tiki. Although there was nary a tiki to be found, throughout it's history, the Coco Palms was the epitome of the tiki spirit. Largely credited to one woman, Mrs. Grace Guslander, the Hotel and grounds captured the fantasy of Hawaii and Hawaiian culture that mid-century mainlanders expected; lots of color, vegetation, native materials (and natives for that matter) and fire and food and Elvis. The resort has been closed since being hit by Hurricane Iniki in 1992.

Rum and Coke the right way.

[ This Message was edited by: Primo Kimo 2008-08-04 09:44 ]

View Profile of Primo Kimo Send a personal message to Primo Kimo  Email Primo Kimo Goto the website of Primo Kimo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 4:01 pm   Permalink

Wow! Awesome pictures. When were they taken!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 4:15 pm   Permalink

These were taken July 2008 while on my honeymoon. I made my Bridget go there twice (I had to go buy another SD card for my camera). I took more than 500 pics of Coco Plams and adjoining (abandoned) Seashell Restaurant pictured below.

[ This Message was edited by: Primo Kimo 2008-08-06 12:46 ]

View Profile of Primo Kimo Send a personal message to Primo Kimo  Email Primo Kimo Goto the website of Primo Kimo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-16 7:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-03 16:15, Primo Kimo wrote:
... I took more than 500 pics of Coco Plams
and adjoining (abandoned) Seashell Restaurant pictured below.

amazing pictures !
this place looks still beautiful.

please post all of them )

ps:
www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=15606

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 10:57 pm   Permalink

I concur...pictures are great. I'll be staying across the highway from this place come September and will take some updated pics. I heard it's going to be a new time share place

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-04 9:28 pm   Permalink

Wow, what a great photo safari. James, somehow I missed this thread when you initially posted it. What an urban archeologist's wet dream! Naomi was ooohing and aaahing, too.

I was there in the late 90s, but the place was locked airtight, glad you got in somehow. Everybody, read up on this Poly pop temple in Jeff Berry's Sippin' Safari pages 78 to 81, you can see a Tridacna clam shell sink in use.

Here is THE most classic "Before" image of the lobby:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-01-04 21:31 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-04 10:50 pm   Permalink

I scored a brochure/menu from The Coco palms Today. The Lunch Buffet is listed at $2.25, so I'm guessing it's a pretty old piece.

I was pretty stoked to find this today.

UPDATE :

Found on this link, it appears that is indeed from 1960...

coco-palms.com/photos/menu/thumbnails.htm" target="_blank">http://www.coco-palms.com/photos/menu/thumbnails.htm

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2009-01-04 23:00 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-05 4:07 pm   Permalink

Great find, and nice link, too! I cannot help but point out again the utter lack of Tiki iconography, proving that the Tiki was mainly a mainland icon. Nevertheless, this was Hawaii as it should be!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 09:04 am   Permalink

Check out the entire set of Coco Palms pics at http://photo.jameskathary.com/main.php?g2_itemId=511

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 10:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-05 16:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
Great find, and nice link, too! I cannot help but point out again the utter lack of Tiki iconography, proving that the Tiki was mainly a mainland icon. Nevertheless, this was Hawaii as it should be!

Which leads me to this question. Were there alot of tikis on the grounds of the Coco Palms ? I would imagine so, back in it's heyday, but there don't seem to be any in the pix.

Either way, when you look at the building and it;'s decor it sure says "tiki".

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 11:19 am   Permalink

These are the only tiki images i could find on the grounds. Not the most snuggly tikis, but I think they count.

**---> See my post below for the reasoning behind the lack of tikis at Coco Palms. <---**

[ This Message was edited by: Primo Kimo 2009-01-07 11:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Primo Kimo 2009-01-07 11:39 ]

Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 11:36 am   Permalink

Here is a note i received from the great Bob and LeRoy when I initially posted these pics. It answers the questions of why no tikis...

Aloha James:
Thanks for the wonderful photos of the Coco Palms. Grace Guslander visited our old Whittier shop and then she bought from us for many years. We supplied a lot of thatching, lighting, artifacts and the Rattan furniture. Vince Buono who was our partner in Oceanic Arts Hawaii for about 10 years still lives in Kapaa. The photos are great but sad for us and we remember it during it's best days and still have most of the brochures from the Coco Palms and letters from Grace.
Grace did not like Tiki's as the Coco Palms was built on much of the old sacred grounds. We note 3 tiki like items on a wall. These were images of the old Kauai House Posts which were dug up in an old dump in Kauai.
It was nice to "see" you again James of the Kahiki Moon.
Your friends,
Bob & LeRoy

I love these guys!

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 11:47 am   Permalink

Wow, Primo, thanx for that explanation. That pretty much sums it up, I think.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 3:27 pm   Permalink

I had seen these pictures before when they were first posted. And I'm glad you got to photograph this beautiful temple. I don't know about anyone else though, but Sven putting the "before" and "after" pictures right next to each other practically brought a tear to my eye. Like seeing a formerly beautiful Hollywood starlet in a nursing home. A sad ending.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 4:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-07 10:03, tikiyaki wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-01-05 16:07, bigbrotiki wrote:

Which leads me to this question. Were there alot of tikis on the grounds of the Coco Palms ? I would imagine so, back in it's heyday, but there don't seem to be any in the pix.

Geez, Jim, what is it with you, you just can't take my theory of Tiki NOT being an island phenomenon as proven, you always have to play the doubting Thomas. Sorry, it's ironclad, and any exceptions merely prove the rule.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation