FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-30 9:48 pm   Permalink

A new owner will have the chance to rebuild. The Planning Commission revoked the permits currently held by Coco Palms LLC.
http://www.kauai.com/blog/aloha-oe-coco-palms

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 9:11 pm   Permalink

Don't think I've seen this postcard before

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-02 5:26 pm   Permalink

Found this today

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-08 8:25 pm   Permalink

Going to Kauai this month and called to get the scoops on the tour and I spoke with Bob who is the guide. He told me today was the first day of construction on the rebuild of the new Coco Palms. I will take pictures and get more info while I'm there.

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-08 8:48 pm   Permalink

Mongoloid,

Fantastic news! Can't wait for the photos. Tiki Iniki and Tahiti Nui too.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-09 08:12 am   Permalink

Here's an article from today's (8/09/13) Garden Island news site - it looks like things are actually moving along, as they've pulled demo permits and had the place blessed (see second photo). The article says all wooden buildings will be rebuilt just the way they were.

http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/coco-palms-to-be-reborn/article_05515b0e-00bf-11e3-a437-001a4bcf887a.html

[ This Message was edited by: Hibiscus 2013-08-09 08:14 ]

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-16 11:58 am   Permalink

There's a Facebook page that has information about what's going on at Coco Palms

https://www.facebook.com/supportcocopalms?hc_location=stream

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 9:48 pm   Permalink

Incredibly exciting news!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 1:55 pm   Permalink

I'm at the airport in Kauai ending my vacation, but we did the Coco Palms tour and Bob has a wealth of interesting information and stories on the hotel. The new investors from Oahu were on site and walking the grounds as we were doing our tour. The plan is to rebuild the hotel in the next 2 years while preserving 70 percent of the existing structure. There were a few sections taped off where we weren't allowed access. The only construction I could see was a wood frame around the hotel which I'm sure is going to be used as a dust screen. I'm not sure how long the tours can continue when the construction gets fully up and running. The stained glass window at the chapel was recently stolen so they are going to be tightening up the security. Bob gave me a coconut from the grounds which I got through the agricultural inspection. Good things definately on the horizon!

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-14 9:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-16 11:58, MaukaHale wrote:
There's a Facebook page that has information about what's going on at Coco Palms

https://www.facebook.com/supportcocopalms?hc_location=stream

The management company is tentatively to be either Starwood or Hyatt.

However, nothing will happen soon. "These funds, now pending release from the state in January 2014, would be used to hire a consulting firm charged with finding experts to appraise the property, compile a hazardous materials report and assess the structural integrity of the existing buildings. It is a process that, Luck said, could take up to a year to 18 months to complete."

Island time?

http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/coco-palms-plan-taking-shape/article_02d33240-4cfe-11e3-b870-0019bb2963f4.html

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-09 6:26 pm   Permalink

Anyone interested in helping Coco Palms get restored, please click this link and sign the petition TODAY!
The Kauai County Council is meeting this Wednesday to, among other topics, possibly repeal the Iniki Ordinance.
The Iniki Ordinance was put in place after the devastating 1992 hurricane that destroyed many hotels, and allowed them to rebuild to the way they were, without having to update to any current building regulations.
This is what the owners of Coco Palms are counting on using to restore the place. They want it to be like it was.
If the ordinance gets repealed, it can't happen.

Go here:
https://www.change.org/petitions/save-coco-palms-2

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 9:08 pm   Permalink

Here's an update I received last night:

Today the Kauai County Council committee met to vote on bill 2502, which would have revoked the Iniki Ordinance. Before voting and after discussion, they added a 24 month amendment to the bill, giving the developers two years to work on the new Coco Palms. Four of the five committee members voted in favor of the bill. The fifth member was unable to attend the meeting. The bill will now go before the full council of seven members next Wednesday December 18. Should today's majority vote hold, the bill will pass and work on the new Coco Palms will begin the following day. We will let you know the results next Wednesday after the final vote.
We thank all of you so much for your support and taking the time to sign our petition.
Mahalo.
-Bob Jasper and The Support Coco Palms Committee

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 9:24 pm   Permalink

Great News! Keep us posted on the results of the next hearing.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 9:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-07 21:51, Dustycajun wrote:
Christmas at Coco Palms!

Go Santa

DC

Bump for Xmas

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-18 6:07 pm   Permalink

This just in:

WE DID IT...COCO PALMS LIVES!!! Today 12/18/13 the council voted 6 votes to 1, giving the go ahead to rebuild the Coco Palms. Mahalo to everyone for your support. Follow the rebirth at
www.facebook.com/SupportCocoPalms

Great news! (Except that now I probably won't get to do the tour in February! My loss on that, but everyone's gain!)

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation