FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-20 10:20 pm   Permalink

Here's a great 3 minute video of an aerial view of the current Coco Palms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsqn1ehnSM4

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 09:25 am   Permalink

That is a great overview. I hope they build a bridge for beach access. I bet the traffic has increased substantially during the last 23 years.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 4:32 pm   Permalink

Fantastic news! Somehow it had eluded me that the new investor had passed yet another hurdle in bringing the Coco Palms back online.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-23 09:39 am   Permalink

A link I saw on facebook, lots of pics and maybe some not in this thread yet: http://www.messynessychic.com/2014/01/23/elvis-presleys-abandoned-tiki-paradise/

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-23 10:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-23 09:39, 4WDtiki wrote:
A link I saw on facebook, lots of pics and maybe some not in this thread yet: http://www.messynessychic.com/2014/01/23/elvis-presleys-abandoned-tiki-paradise/

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-26 12:15 pm   Permalink

Just noticed that "Blue Hawaii" is now available on Netflix for streaming.

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 5:25 pm   Permalink

Another one today

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 7:00 pm   Permalink

We took the tour last week and it was impressive! Bob is full of information and stories and it was amazing to actually be inside.

I realized this article (below) hasn't been posted yet so I'll add the link - basically just an overview and stating that they'll be partnering with a national hotel chain, as christiki posted earlier. Bob told us during the tour (a week ago) that the hotel brand would be officially announced within a couple weeks, so news may be coming soon. He did say that the name will stay - it will be a "Coco Palms - a (whatever) Resort" type of thing. He also confirmed again that the plan is to rebuild exactly as it was; some of the wood buildings will need to be started from scratch, but that many of the buildings are concrete and can be rebuilt upon the existing bones.

There was no construction going on yet; basically just the dust screen around the property on the Kuhio Highway said. All the old building permits from the previous go-around have expired, so there's a wait for new ones to be approved. He mentioned that a permit for a pedestrian bridge was submitted - it was approved the last time around and hopefully would be again. They really will need that - we walked over for the tour and trying to cross there isn't pretty (or quick.)

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2014/02/06/coco-palms-investors-to-choose.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2014-02-06

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-23 2:04 pm   Permalink

Here are few of the shots from our tour a couple weeks ago. Sorry the lighting isn't great in most of them; it was raining so I had to just take quick snaps.

Approaching the lobby area

Lobby - you can see how the arch beams have started to warp into a concave shape

around the grounds

Restaurant/Lounge building

Lagoon outside the restaurant/lounge

Inside the cottage used in Blue Hawaii

Cottage bedroom

Remains of the bathroom in the cottage Elvis stayed in. They've had to remove the remaining clam shell sinks due to theft

Palm tree crash disaster

The coconut grove

Hallway of a hotel building. The flash on my camera is really powerful - it was almost pitch black and pretty creepy walking through here!

Hotel room

Lucky (literal) shot in the dark I took in the hall, revealing some wallpaper

Lagoon with (undecorated) wedding canoe

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-23 2:59 pm   Permalink

Almost forgot - here are a couple of the Seashell restaurant across the street.

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-25 07:51 am   Permalink

One of the Honolulu news stations does a story on Coco Palms: http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/Coco-Palms-of-today-and-the-future/24654688

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-25 08:38 am   Permalink

That's a good video. So they have actually started cleaning up the place. The guide said "a week ago this was jungle" and the reporter said "construction could begin before the end of the year." This is all truly good news, that place needs to be brought back.

Start saving up now for a grand TC meetup when it re-opens!

[ This Message was edited by: AceExplorer 2014-02-25 08:39 ]

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-25 8:15 pm   Permalink

Yes, they have been truly reclaiming it from the jungle, trimming back landscaping, cutting grass, and cutting down some dead and dying coco palms.
The official word still is that they will get construction permits this year, begin work late this year, and finish late 2015 or into 2016.
I'm watching closely, and will report anything I see!

bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-25 10:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the story link! Interesting that they mentioned a shuttle to get people across the street instead of bridge of some sort. As long there's something - throngs of people trying to cross there all day would be a bad idea.

Tele295
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-26 6:14 pm   Permalink

Is the Seashell restaurant going to be rebuilt, too?

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation