FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-07 5:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-07 16:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-01-07 10:03, tikiyaki wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-01-05 16:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
Great find, and nice link, too! I cannot help but point out again the utter lack of Tiki iconography, proving that the Tiki was mainly a mainland icon. Nevertheless, this was Hawaii as it should be!

Which leads me to this question. Were there alot of tikis on the grounds of the Coco Palms ? I would imagine so, back in it's heyday, but there don't seem to be any in the pix.

Geez, Jim, what is it with you, you just can't take my theory of Tiki NOT being an island phenomenon as proven, you always have to play the doubting Thomas. Sorry, it's ironclad, and any exceptions merely prove the rule.

Don't call me thomas

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-02 09:49 am   Permalink

for the past two days Ive been pouting over all that i could find on the Coco palms. OOooOO I'm fascinated by the dilapidation. the pics are great.
I did read somewhere in either this thread or the other one in general tiki that there were originally no tikis on the grounds. explanation given by Bob and Leroy of oceanic arts.

sooo onto my question.. don't rip my head off I DID USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. and after coming up with no matches I was wondering if there are any more pics of the seashell restaurant??? either before or after the hurricane

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2009-04-02 09:50 ]

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-08 12:51 pm   Permalink

What amazing photos. Its amazing how much of it is still there!! There is a kind of beauty in the decay though. Its a real shame the nobody has taken it and restored it back into a world-class Hawaiian resort destination.

Thanks for the photos!!!!!!!!

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs Bamboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-09 10:39 pm   Permalink

On 2009-01-05 16:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
Great find, and nice link, too! I cannot help but point out again the utter lack of Tiki iconography, proving that the Tiki was mainly a mainland icon. Nevertheless, this was Hawaii as it should be!

What?

View Profile of Mrs Bamboo Send a personal message to Mrs Bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 04:32 am   Permalink

Hi Mrs Bamboo. Welcome to TC. This is a subject discussed extensively on many threads here on TC. There are many discussion about the differences between classic Tiki and mainland and Hawaiian interpretations. Sven's "Book of Tiki" is a great source in this area and a must read. I am no expert in this area so I'll leave it at that. Welcome aboard and enjoy.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-15 03:44 am   Permalink

Anyone know whether this is destined to be a fixer-upper or a faller-downer? I can see it likely being not cost-effective to restore, but I can also see it being not too far gone - restoration would be possible. Not like the arsonists and copper pirates have taken over.

I second the motion for interiors of what's under that awesome dome at the restaurant. As for those ceiling fans in the lobby - they're Hunter Originals. Older ones. New blades, some oil, and there's a fair chance they'll start right up. Solid cast iron, those things are tanks.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-15 07:23 am   Permalink

http://www.friendsofcocopalms.org/

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 5:48 pm   Permalink

some recent photo's of our visit last week. Amazing yet very dangerous..they main lobby roof is almost completely caved in.

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 8:32 pm   Permalink

Amazing! A lost ruin city in the jungle. This and the Hotel Tahaara near Papeete would be my favorite sunken Hotel sites I still would like to explore. Oh, and the Rainmaker in Samoa...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-30 09:00 am   Permalink

CocoJoe -

Thanks for posting your pics, man!

Like a dream where you find yourself in paradise but your immediate surroundings are empty, deserted, forgotten. At that point you begin to question your own flesh and blood...maybe you're spirit wandering among the ghosts.

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-02 08:17 am   Permalink

I can't even begin to say how wonder full is it to see all of these great pic's!
Thank you sooo much, Primo Kimo!
When I was 9 years old,back in 1963, my family and I stayed at the coco palms.
this was in it's real heyday, just after Elvis did "blue Hawaii" there.
even to this day, It's my most fond memory of Hawaii.or anything else.
I fished in the lagoon..(there were fishing poles in each room)..wandered the grounds in a happy daze, looking at the animals the kept in a impromptu zoo, paddled around in the water, listened to and made friends with the local band that played in the restaurant, watched them spit rotisserie roast huge pigs over a flaming pit.
ate great food, and was literally in a constant state of joy...

I'm allways looking for memorabilia from there. If anyone knows good places to look, other than Ebay, please let me know!

I've been to Kauai many times since then, and allways make a pilgrimage to the Coco palms..I've tried to get in, but there were fences and guards in the way. how did you get in to get these great photos?
also, I wonder if I could contact the owner, and see if they would be willing to sell any of the old bits and fixtures...It would be worth going there to just get the opportunity!

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-10-02 08:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-10-02 09:34 ]

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-13 9:44 pm   Permalink

I just got done watching Blue Hawaii, Wikipedia'd the Coco Palms, found out it was destroyed in the 90s and then came here and saw these very sad but amazing photos. I'm astounded that most of the place is still standing with many decorative fixtures. Wow. Freakin hurricanes! When I was watching the movie I was thinking how cool it would be to visit the place that Elvis gets married at in the movie. Oh well!

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ralphathoner

Posted: 2010-06-16 3:00 pm   Permalink

For some interesting reading on the Coco Palms see David Penhallow's book "The Story of the Coco Palms Hotel: The Grace Buscher Guslander Years 1953-1985". He worked there for many years and was a very good friend of Grace Guslander. If you are in Kaua'i, take the Kaua'i Movie Tour, they are the only tour that is allowed on the property.

View Profile of Ralphathoner Send a personal message to Ralphathoner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 8:36 pm   Permalink

From a Mike Roberts postcard I just picked up:

The Lagoon Dining Room and Cocktail Terrace along the lagoon at Romantic Coco Palms.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-11 11:06 am   Permalink

Here is a post about the book...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27511&forum=1&hilite=coco%20palms%20book

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation