FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-04 9:27 pm   Permalink

Here is a link posted by tikilongbeach on Shout to another video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-tLjMWrOe3U

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-04 9:50 pm   Permalink

Oh NOOOOO so sad....there is bad juju there....I hope they still move forward with plans to rebuild.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tele295
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-04 11:56 pm   Permalink

http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/#!/newsDetail/25944343

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-05 01:10 am   Permalink

Here's fire video from a drone, apparently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXtKYuM5Zzw

Also, this was in an article today on the fire: "Tyler Greene of Coco Palms Hui LLC had just arrived at the Kauai airport when he got word of the blaze. He said the fire won't halt his group's rebuilding plans.

"We're focused on getting it opened and getting it rebuilt, so we'll stay the course and just keep moving forward."

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-05 09:09 am   Permalink

I have mixed reactions to this.

Sad that this burned, there is real history and many memories there. Original art and décor and architecture is a terrible loss in this fire. Not sure if the big shell was still around, but from the videos, it seems what was left is now gone.

Not sad because, in the end, we do have photos, and it may actually help with a re-build to start from scratch. How much mold, mildew, insects, etc. has the Coco Palms accumulated since the hurricane? Tearing everything down and starting new might be the only way to address the unhealthy conditions which currently exist. It is a very neglected series of structures. On top of that, old infrastructure would saddle the new operators with a lot of maintenance and operational issues which aren't inherent in modern designs and materials.

The fire is a shame, but there always was the possibility that they were going to have to "remove and replace" major portions anyway. The real loss is the art and décor which previously could have been salvageable.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-05 11:24 am   Permalink

Sob. Thanks for the link, 4WDtiki. Hard to watch, though.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-05 4:33 pm   Permalink

Wow...Bill that video made me cry.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 5:03 pm   Permalink

Bob Jasper has posted a long video showing the fire damage (about 25 minutes worth.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soUkeNO-gHI&feature=youtu.be

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-09 5:52 pm   Permalink

Looks like the lobby is now history, but would it have been saved anyway ?

I hope they rebuild a updated copy of the original.
Can't wait till they finish so I can book my holiday.

View Profile of TikiSpeer Send a personal message to TikiSpeer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 11:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-09 17:52, TikiSpeer wrote:
Looks like the lobby is now history, but would it have been saved anyway?

No, it was too far gone even before the fire. It was slated to be torn down and rebuilt as it was.

Also, it's five days since the fire, and still no word from Fire or Police on a cause...

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-10 08:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-09 23:58, 4WDtiki wrote:
Also, it's five days since the fire, and still no word from Fire or Police on a cause...

That's really weird. I've watched Hawaii Five-O, and they usually have things wrapped up within 45 minutes.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 18 days ago; 5:30 pm   Permalink

Coco Palms 25th Anniversary commemorative Golden Coconut Mug Plaque from January 25th, 1978.

Either used for or a reference to their Golden Coconut drink...

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 8:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-06 21:57, aquarj wrote:
4WDtiki - yeah check it out, there were some locals with us when we took the tour. I don't know if the kamaaina deal still holds, but could be.

The deal still holds, on Fridays!

I was going through this thread today, to match up some photos I took there today when I came to your pic above. I took the same shot today! You can see the fire damage from the July 4th fire.

I love that you can still look through the walkway and see the beauty of the grounds.

Here's another shot taken today of the same breezeway arch, as seen from on top of the pile of rubble that was the lobby.

AtomicTucson

Posted: 10 days ago; 9:59 pm   Permalink

Primo KIMO
this is Bonkers! so cool! i want to go to a place like this! cry cry cry, why doesn't anyone care to fix it up!? thankfully they haven't bulldozed it but it will die by neglect before anyone can rescue it...thanks for the pics

View Profile of AtomicTucson Send a personal message to AtomicTucson  Email AtomicTucson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AtomicTucson

Posted: 10 days ago; 10:03 pm   Permalink

oh... now i've made it to the bottom and see the fire. this is why it's like practically a good idea to go ahead and pilfer and plummage through the remains on something like this before it gets trashed in a fire anyway.

View Profile of AtomicTucson Send a personal message to AtomicTucson  Email AtomicTucson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation