FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )
Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-19 11:23 pm   Permalink

It's in the process of being rebuilt to the way it was when the hurricane hit in 92. The recent fire is a minor setback. Everything that burned was to be torn down and rebuilt. It's scheduled to reopen in early 2017.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-20 06:19 am   Permalink

I have not been to the island of Kauai yet. I will endeavor to visit the Coco Palms soon after it opens. It would be fun to get a group of TC'ers together there and do a tiki and Elvis tour of the property, and to see the other things which the island offers.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mockingbird
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-08-21 07:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-19 23:23, 4WDtiki wrote:
It's in the process of being rebuilt to the way it was when the hurricane hit in 92. The recent fire is a minor setback. Everything that burned was to be torn down and rebuilt. It's scheduled to reopen in early 2017.

I am really surprised that they weren't going to try and save the lobby before the fire. When we visited that was probably one of the most stunning/iconic original parts of the resort. Do you know if they plan to rebuild it as it was? I also hope they were able to save some of the amazing fixtures from that room.

View Profile of Mockingbird Send a personal message to Mockingbird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 20 days ago; 4:10 pm   Permalink

Took the coco palms tour. The state that it's in is depressing. Bob the guide was super nice. Its amazing that he has been able to save and protect the place and its contents as much as he has.

Fire did a number on certain places...but most of it will be gutted anyway. I'm glad I got to see it before its either rebuilt, fallen down further or bulldozed.

Part of the big shell laying in the lagoon

elvis would be pissed about his bungalow

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 18 days ago; 9:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the updated pictures!

It's sad to see the new deterioration since the fire, but it sounds like most of it would have had to have been rebuilt anyway. Hoping someday I'll get to do a visit where we get to my stay a few days!

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 11:11 pm   Permalink

Lest we forget the bygone by glory, an old photo of the lobby building from flickr.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation