FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
Elvis's fan 70

Posted: 2015-08-16 12:54 pm   Permalink

Can someone help me? In which year was installed gold tiles in bungalows (I mean in bathrooms)? Who knows this information? Maybe someone can say who stayed in bungalows in 60's, 70's.

Thank you in advance!

[ This Message was edited by: Elvis's fan 70 2015-08-16 12:57 ]

View Profile of Elvis's fan 70 Send a personal message to Elvis's fan 70      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-18 08:28 am   Permalink

STILL waiting on permits. Lots of hoops to jump through, with every little state and county dept. article from this morning's paper: http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/coco-palms-still-waiting-for-permits/article_9da4f69b-01cb-5bb4-9845-ee85e7c28d36.html?mode=jqm

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-18 2:50 pm   Permalink

I couldn't read the article until I clicked on "Full Size"

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-19 8:54 pm   Permalink

Another step!

The $135 million project to redevelop the famed Coco Palms Resort on Kauai came one step closer to becoming a reality after Kauai County officials on Wednesday released the first set of permits needed to begin demolition work.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2015/08/19/kauai-county-green-lights-coco-palms-resort.html?ana=e_lulu_bn_newsalert&u=vS6EyabXNIHAnL1EW6/H4fxfYAI&t=1440036719

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-22 11:16 am   Permalink

Hope they do the rooms in the old style decor.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2015-08-22 2:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-08-22 11:16, Dustycajun wrote:
Hope they do the rooms in the old style decor.

DC

Good thought. That would appeal to us, but may not appeal to their target market. I'm expecting with upgraded grounds will come updated décor. My hope is that it will still not be a "sterile" Polynesian treatment, but something along the very organic designs in many of the other resorts on the islands.

On another subject - have you looked up the life (and death) of the bratty blonde character in the photo? Its tragic.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2015-12-02 2:06 pm   Permalink

Bump... 100 days have passed since the last Coco Palms comments were posted here. Does anyone have news on permits, demolition, clean-up, or any other activities?

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-02 7:18 pm   Permalink

Yes! About two weeks ago, they did landscape clearance on the property, which involved cutting back overgrowth from buildings to be 'demolished', and mowing down the 8' tall grass around the lagoon, cottages and chapel, and in some of the coconut grove.
The landscaping was prep work to give working access to begin the tearing down soon of what's being torn down.

Also, yesterday, they started having 24 hour security people on site, partly as a response to repeated arrests of people going in and stealing wiring out of the walls.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-02 7:23 pm   Permalink

Thought I'd share this link to a facebook group about Coco Palms. It's run by Bob, the guy who does the tours there, he knows everything that's happening there and when it's happening. https://www.facebook.com/groups/98320760038/

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-22 11:40 am   Permalink

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-23 8:19 pm   Permalink

Apparently there was another hearing today. Since demolition hasn't started yet and may not be completed by previously scheduled deadlines, there's a possibly the permits could be pulled. Sounds like today's meeting set up a follow up hearing for April 26, at which point they could make that decision:

http://thegardenisland.com/future-of-coco-palms-could-hinge-on-status-hearing/article_afacd996-da7b-11e5-95bf-7f04a2989081.html

http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/coco-rebuild-in-question/article_fa6645e7-17e5-5737-802f-83eac6b9a1c9.html

This article says the hui was planning to have their loan secured by Feb 22nd, but I haven't seen any word on whether that happened:
http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2016/02/05/developers-hope-to-start-demolition-of-kauais-coco.html

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-23 10:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the updates, bamalamalu. It sounds like delays are threatening to kill the whole redevelopment plan. Are there other parties waiting in the wings to redevelop this land? Otherwise, I don't understand why the Council sounds like they would not grant an extension.

Let it sit and do nothing or help motivated people redevelop the site that can add to Kauai's hospitality industry, not to mention its taxes, hmmm???

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-24 06:25 am   Permalink

Bummer. Commercial loans often require quite a bit of forecasting to ensure the project doesn't get funded, then built, and then falls flat on its face with the bank coming out as a big loser. There may be quite a challenge behind getting this off the ground, to prove to the banks that they can build it and then survive long enough to pay off the loans. There may also be environmental impacts which are making life difficult and very expensive for the developer. It's a very nice property with quite an appealing history, but could still be quite an uphill struggle to redevelop. I hope we'll learn more soon.

bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-24 8:47 pm   Permalink

Yeah, everything can be so complicated.

I don't know that another developer is lurking at this point, but not everyone is in favor of the resurrection.
Since it closed the area's become busier and the traffic gets pretty bad; a lot of people are concerned with how much worse that'll be once all those additional hotel guests come back. Plus, it's been an eyesore, rotting away, for almost 25 years and there's a certain sense of 'enough already, just tear it down.' Some hope the land could be turned into a park instead of another hotel.

Here's another story from today with a few more details on the financing delays. Sounds like they changed the application to be for a different type of loan which would hopefully close sooner; but then they'd need a second construction loan later.

http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/coco-project-still-alive/article_722b0a91-02b7-5e93-975f-421757f5a117.html

bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-05 7:40 pm   Permalink

A couple more recent articles.

http://thegardenisland.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/financing-near-say-coco-palms-developers/article_4a5d1b0a-dc1f-5195-9bfe-c536dede30fb.html

Some brief ones from the hotel development perspective. I'm a little concerned about the "upper-upscale" designation. In my experience following the redevelopment story, those excited about this project are in it more for the nostalgia. I'm guessing those with an "upper-upscale" budget wouldn't be interested (and many like me who are interested won't be able to afford it.)

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2016/03/02/hyatt-hotels-corp-s-unbound-collection-includes.html

https://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/b/launch?fid=Inbox&order=up&tt=13816&pSize=25&.rand=1481654303

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation