FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Wonderful world of wplugger
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Wonderful world of wplugger
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 1:18 pm   Permalink

Since he won't start his own thread I feel compelled to show off for him.

This has been donated to my Mountain Bike project at Quiet Waters Park. The log came from the trail so its only fitting that it will return to welcome all the riders. Over 15' tall - 4' will be buried.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 2:21 pm   Permalink

Exellent stuff Will, C'mon and add some more photos now that your thread is cranked up!
Super tiki.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 3:00 pm   Permalink

Freakin Sweet!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-07 3:02 pm   Permalink

No Hair-Club-For-Men for that guy....he is awesome!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 3:19 pm   Permalink

Awesome! I've been meaning to do this for Will myself - here's some pictures from my visit to Will's place.
Look at this Ball guy!

Lots of tikis:

Close up of Lono

Look at that headdress!

More Tikis!!

Root ball half log - he's big!

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 4:52 pm   Permalink

Will you kick ass!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Savage Daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 6:13 pm   Permalink

Excellent carvings! Nice to see the south FL. tiki carvers representing.

[ This Message was edited by: Savage Daddy 2008-08-07 18:16 ]

View Profile of Savage Daddy Send a personal message to Savage Daddy  Email Savage Daddy Goto the website of Savage Daddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 7:23 pm   Permalink

Nice work plugger!!
Instead of burying the tiki (it will rot and eventually fall even with concrete) you might instead consider burying a 4" by 4" treated post about 2 ft. down, drill a hole thru the post and into the tiki, install one or two 10" hex head lag screws to secure it. Just a thought.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wplugger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 06:04 am   Permalink

Wow, Thanks every body.
I get so much from TC, I should give back more.
They planted about 300 sable palms in the park.
About 10 % died . We will see how many I get to carve.
J.T. I would do that if I were to keep it for myself.
the one thing it has going for it is it's going on a hill.
I'm bringing the next one to Toms house to see how he does em.
I picked up 10 flat molds from the Mai-Kai a week ago.
They include the spear head mold . The spears line the
Chinese ovens over the windows. Most are broken if not
missing completely.
Thanks again
Plugger

[ This Message was edited by: wplugger 2008-08-08 06:06 ]

View Profile of wplugger Send a personal message to wplugger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 08:31 am   Permalink

Will has been carving for years but has shown very little of his work. I hope that changes!!

JT - Wood rot is something that you have to live with in Florida. There are too many factors that work against wood left in the open air. The big guy will be planted on top of a small hill that is mostly gravel and sand. There will be more moisture damage from the air than the ground! We also have termites, wood peckers and carpenter ants - the expected life of this carving will only be at most 10 years. This was all factored when we came up with the idea. Its my turn to carve the next one.

In case you didn't know, Will is the guy that has been casting all of the tikis at the Mai Kai. Its a cool story.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 08:34 am   Permalink

Will, those are really great-looking tikis. Keep up the good work!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 08:49 am   Permalink

All are magnificent! Make sure no one chain-grinds the tiki at Quiet Waters mt bikin'n!!!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 3:22 pm   Permalink

aiight, I have heard oldtimers swear by using pea gravel on their fence posts instead of concrete cuz the water seeps thru. But as you said AlohaStation there are other factors to consider. Aloha to my Florida brethren. Carve onward!!

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 4:35 pm   Permalink

Nice, you need to share these more often. Thanks Alohastation for bringing these forth.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 9:17 pm   Permalink

Awesome tiki carvings. Thanks for sharing your work on TC and getting such a great tiki out in public. Let us know when the QWP tiki gets put in. I live about 20 minutes away and I will have to go check it out. Are you going to seal the wood? Outdoors in South Florida the oil based sealers last longer. Just a thought. Happy Carving.

Oh....Almost forgot, you can also use roofing tar on the bottom if you bury the base. But that will only work if you seal the rest of it so it won't rot from the inside out. The tar will prevent it from draining if not sealed.

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikilizard 2008-08-11 21:23 ]

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation