FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Florida Hawaiian/Tiki Resorts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Florida Hawaiian/Tiki Resorts
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 04:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-22 00:27, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow, great zooming, Sabu. That mural under the neon could have a Tiki in it too. I seem to remember seeing a matchbook like that. Judging by the cars, the place would be mid-60s vintage?

i think you are right.....but i will bet it's a metal sculpture that floats off the wall..i see palm leaves, then a free standing tiki, a mountain range than one more palm tree....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-30 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-22 04:49, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
i think you are right.....but i will bet it's a metal sculpture that floats off the wall..i see palm leaves, then a free standing tiki, a mountain range than one more palm tree....

Very perceptive there, Tipsy. I have that card. Here is a blow-up of the sign

And, for the final proof, here is the rendering from the back of the card that shows the sign. Maybe this is what Bigbro remembered seeing.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-31 08:11 am   Permalink

Bingo! Book of Tiki, page 110: The Tikis matchbook!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 8:16 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

Nice memory banks on that one. How on earth did a matchbook rendering from the Tikis in California end up as a sculpture on top of a Tahiti hotel in Florida?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 9:00 pm   Permalink

I never forget a Tiki Face once I've seen it (in Schwarzenegger voice)

Yes, yet another one of the many enduring mysteries of Polynesian pop and the Tiki transmission!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2010-07-20 09:37 am   Permalink

Another postcard image from the Palm Beach Hawaiian Motor Lodge's heyday...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-19 09:11 am   Permalink

Tried for this cool postcard from the Hawaiian Inn on ebay. Nice shot of the sign and a view of one of the hotel rooms with some Witco on the walls.

Also saw this stunning drink and appetizer menu from the Hawaiian Isle.

DC

liltikichef
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-24 11:28 pm   Permalink

Love those mugs from the Hawaiian Isle, esp the "navy grog" one........
Maybe I'm wrong, and thinking of another place, but on the 1st page of this thread is a shot of the Hawaiian Isle from the street that looks very very familiar. It looks very much like the Ocean Club, which is the "beach part" of the Fairmont Turnberry Isle Resort & Club, located in what is now called Aventura. The Fairmont bought an existing small hotel on the beach and uses it for beach access for guests. There's a pool, bar, and restaurant there. Guests from the Fairmont (and employees) are bused over from the main resort. I don't remember anything about the hotel part--I was only there briefly on a tour--if it's still there or what. However, the street side looks exactly like that with the drive and fence and all, and the entrance looks a lot like what would have been a lobby at one point. Like I said--I could be off but it sure looks a lot alike and the address puts in about in the same area, if my memory serves me. Might be worth looking into??

View Profile of liltikichef Send a personal message to liltikichef      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-27 11:46 pm   Permalink

I've got an important update on the Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn (formerly the Palm Beach Hawaiian), which has been featured extensively on this thread and which I photographed back in 2008:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=29385&forum=5&start=30

------------------------------------

Story from today's Palm Beach Post:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/money/real-estate/palm-beach-oceanfront-inn-on-the-market-for-2130839.html

Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn on the market for $12.95 million

Perched above crashing waves at weathered wooden tables, Tides Bar & Grille diners drink in the quaint locale and oceanfront view even while the 49-year-old landmark is up for sale and under foreclosure.

Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn has a lot of history and was a favorite for victory parties by South Palm Beach officials. It's available for $12.95 million, according to a Loopnet.com listing. It was purchased for $3.3 million in 2002.

Tucked in between a line of condos and across the street from South Palm Beach City Hall, the 58-room hotel and restaurant, built in 1963, has maintained its air of Polynesian style with a winged roof that harkens to the days it was operated as the Palm Beach Hawaiian Ocean Inn. That was before the Paloka family, as Kosova Realty Corp., bought it.

Bigger changes were planned, but the Paloka family is focused on selling and dealing with the foreclosure at this point.

------------------------------------

Click on the link above for the full story.

That $12.95 million figure sounds a little fishy considering it went for $3.3 million in 2002. I'm afraid the odds are slim that it will be preserved, let alone restored, but who knows.

I'll try to make it up there for another visit before any major changes are made.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-28 08:50 am   Permalink

Ah well, when I saw your photos in that link back then, It already looked threatened to me, wedged in close to that hotel tower, like the Waikikian becoming outdated by the Ilikai. These kind of places always seem to have their days numbered. The photos of those Tiki masks in the jungle foliage look so great. I wish someone would find more close up photos of its heyday, the front looked fantastic.

And thanks for reminding me of the beginning of the "Polynesian Gardens" discovery! Since then I have been there in person, and this year's Hukilau will go bowling at that incredible bowling alley! Wish I can be there....

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-28 11:21 am   Permalink

People are posting lots of nice comments on the bottom of the Palm Beach Post article, so perhaps there's some hope for at least survival of the current building. There's also a lot of politics involved. It's the only commercial business in the tiny town of South Palm Beach (everything else is private homes and condos) and it's directly across the street from town hall. It will be interesting to see what happens. It would make a great boutique hotel if someone could pump money into restoration.

Polynesian Gardens on the other hand seems to be surviving just fine. Since these are private condos, change comes slowly. But, unfortunately, it could come at the whim of some upstart board members. The bowling event will be lots of fun. I'm so glad they got the alley working again.

For those who didn't know: This is the location of the special Hukilau event on Sunday:
http://www.thehukilau.com/2012/schedule-of-event/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-17 6:27 pm   Permalink

I acquired a big collection of advertising items from the Hawaiian Isle resort.

Business card with the classic Tiki.

Also seen on this brochure.

Hotel brochure with a map of the compound, including the bars and restaurants.

Envelope

A cool little kids brochure

Illustrated letterhead.

And the free drink card

That featured the Tiki Lounge

And the Outrigger Bar on the beach.

A nice lot of memorabilia from this rockin' Florida Tiki mecca.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-21 10:59 pm   Permalink

Another great illustrated drink postcard from the Hawaiian Isle.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-23 10:49 pm   Permalink

Nice. That Hula girl reminds me of the Chevron Island girl somehow, might be the same vintage.

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-14 7:24 pm   Permalink

Here's some (good) breaking news on the Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn, posted online today on PalmBeachPost.com:

South Palm Beach oceanfront hotel sells for $8 million
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/business/real-estate/south-palm-beach-oceanfront-hotel-sells-for-8-mill/nTwsH/

By Kimberly Miller
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

SOUTH PALM BEACH — The iconic Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn, known to locals as the Hawaiian, has been bought by new owners for $8.25 million.

Palm Beach County court and property records show the 50-year-old hotel on South Ocean Boulevard was purchased in November by the limited liability corporation 3550 Palm Beach Holdings.

PNC Bank had filed for foreclosure in February 2011 against the previous owner, Kosova Realty Corp., which bought the inn for $3.3 million in 2002. PNC released that mortgage in early November.

“We look forward to a new era for this Palm Beach landmark and appreciate the outpour of excitement and support from the locals,” said Gary Cohen, a representative of 3550 Palm Beach Holdings, which has a Connecticut mailing address.

The Coral Gables-based hotel management company Trust Hospitality will manage the property.

The hotel was originally called the Palm Beach Hawaiian Ocean Inn and was designed in a Polynesian style. Its winged roof is a standout among the neighboring condominiums that line South Ocean.

Cohen said physical and operational improvements are planned for the inn and that a long-range “vision” will be announced in the near future.

The hotel has 58 guest rooms and the oceanfront Tides Bar & Grille.

The previous owners had wanted to raze the structure and rebuild it as a 14-story condominium hotel. They were willing to build the town a public safety building and new town hall to sweeten the deal.

Despite several plan modifications, no reconstruction efforts made their way through the town and state regulatory process. Kosova Realty Corp. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in March.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation