FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Going tiki, Michigan style UPDATED PHOTOS at last!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Going tiki, Michigan style UPDATED PHOTOS at last!!!
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-08 4:44 pm   Permalink

These are some recent photos of my work in progress. Its not complete yet but will be soon and at least I can sit and have a few while I work out details. It may not be completely Tiki in some eyes BUT as I get into this things will change and be updated as I go. I am really just trying to get it done on a budget and this summer. Hope you all like the pics!!! Tell me what you think good or bad, we all can learn from input. Thanks in advance.

View Profile of TikiMeplus3 Send a personal message to TikiMeplus3  Email TikiMeplus3     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seafoamer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-08 4:47 pm   Permalink

WOW! That looks like an awesome party & chill spot! I'm a fan.

View Profile of seafoamer Send a personal message to seafoamer  Email seafoamer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-08 8:29 pm   Permalink

I like the corrugated-metal on the bar-front - gives it a found-wreckage-from-the-beach look.
However, I'd cover the hut-top with thatch (personally, I'd hit it with some darker, loose-weave rolls), toss the store-bought tiki-sign & put up a hand-painted one done yourself (on driftwood to match the look), and definitely get a hand-carved Tiki in there if you're going to have a Tiki bar sign up! At least two three-to-four-footers guarding the entrance, is what I can see.
I can also picture wooden torches sticking up out of the four corners of the roof at an angle, but there might be a by-law prohibiting it (not to mention they'd be hard to light!).
Man, I'd love that much bar to work with...

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thedivas
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-08-08 9:08 pm   Permalink

you have done all Michiganders proud! i'm from G.R. myself. some good suggestions above, but i think you have a fantastic base to build upon. your bar rocks; i love the corrugated metal and wooden pilings. are you in western MI?

View Profile of thedivas Send a personal message to thedivas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-09 01:36 am   Permalink

I am in Mid Michigan , Saginaw to be exact. The idea of tiki gods is a great one and I am working on that. The bar is constructed so that I can remove the corner poles (pictured) and carve gods into them once I am good enough and the pilings are subject also. I really wanted a thatch roof but michigan winters are tough so the metal was done to provide lasting protection. I did look into syn thatch but at 6000.00 for a roof this size was to high for my blood. I do like the torch idea NOW you have me thinking!!! Oh the tiki sign was a gift so I had to put it up (for now), thanks for the tips.. I have only begun !!!!

View Profile of TikiMeplus3 Send a personal message to TikiMeplus3  Email TikiMeplus3     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-09 04:16 am   Permalink

LIKE your pad site with the walkways away from the main property buildings.
What type of flooring do you have under the roof there?

Suggest bamboo facade along bar front & rattan syle chairs, assume because
of heavy winters these items could be moved indoors. Looking GOOD!

Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JS Glass Art
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-09 07:17 am   Permalink

I love it, it's very beachy and lots of potential for tiki! And I LOVE the concrete floor. A little disappointed that you took down that little outhouse in the background. lol

Have you thought of taking out the rocks around the concrete and fill it in with water? With the pilings in front it could look like a bar at the end of a pier.

View Profile of JS Glass Art Send a personal message to JS Glass Art  Goto the website of JS Glass Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-09 2:47 pm   Permalink

HAvent thought about rock removal BUT may have an idea or two for a water element later on. My big thing was get this built and functional before I loose my drive. I have done this without any help what so ever, so you saw photos of the frame and so on, I did all that myself. I have never built a bar before so this whole project is off the cuff so to speak, it was just an idea in my head. I wanted carved Tiki gods, different bar stools and so many other things but decided to do to this point and next year make it better. I can always add ideas from the great resource here in tiki freaks with like minds and fantastic ideas. So next year will be bigger and better thanks to all who add suggestions here, I love this site!!

Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 06:50 am   Permalink

Fantastic start! I'm in the midwest too and what I do with my out door tiki bar is to remove the thatch in the off season. The corrugated roof stays up all year, but the grass is on top of it just for the summer. And, you can get a good look without 100% coverage.

Cheap alternative: You've got a lot of roof there. You can just buy some grass skirts, kinda bundle two or three together and tie around the tops of your main posts, letting them just hang there blowing around a bit in that gentle Saginaw breeze. (I know you get a gentle Saginaw breeze, I've been there.)

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-12 05:36 am   Permalink

Here is a night photo taken last night. We are cleaning scrap from the job and were burning in the fire pit plus having a mojito at the same time.

Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 05:55 am   Permalink

I dig the bar-top. I've got an outdoor bar and the top is oak plywood. Despite multiple coats of spar urethane, I have some delamination on one section and have been considering screwing down some backerboard and tiling it. Looks like you used broken tile, black grout and finished with epoxy?

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 07:46 am   Permalink

Be proud no matter what.

You put a lot of work into it.

And I would love to sit there and have a drink at it.

Great job.

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JS Glass Art
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-12 08:51 am   Permalink

It's beautiful all lit up! If I ever get to Michigan to visit my brother we may have to con you out of a mojito.

View Profile of JS Glass Art Send a personal message to JS Glass Art  Goto the website of JS Glass Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 09:34 am   Permalink

You have poweer, so I would be putting in ceiling fans if you haven't. Keep it cool and help keep mosquitos away.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-12 12:15 pm   Permalink

Tiki-Zen the top is broken fiesta wear dishes to be exact. And I did basically the same as tile with yes black grout and then resin to make it smooth, although I do need another coat of resin because at 2ft by 10ft ( bar top size) the resin was 1/8 inch thick and a few of the corners from the dishes are poking up and through. I am going to apply another two gallons ( resin plus hardner combined) and that will make it completely smooth.
Mojito's on me if anyone comes to michigan, thanks for all the great ideas and encouragement on my project!!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation