FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Going tiki, Michigan style UPDATED PHOTOS at last!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Going tiki, Michigan style UPDATED PHOTOS at last!!!
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-14 6:56 pm   Permalink

How beautiful this looks at night. Nice job on the lighting.

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-17 09:15 am   Permalink

Thanks for the compliment, its always nice to know the countless hours I have spent since there was snow on the ground till now has been appreciated. The friends I have had over so far find it awesome and in michigan there are nearly no tiki stuff to be seen so my little place is a change of pace. I have to walk a line of tiki and convience because my wife is no tiki freak by any means so I may have a few "UN-TIKI" things in my bar but I will try my best to keep it tiki-fied!!

View Profile of TikiMeplus3 Send a personal message to TikiMeplus3  Email TikiMeplus3     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 6:46 pm   Permalink

That's awesome...funny I have some bright tiles that I broke and used on the entry way and have a ton left over...was thinking about the same idea for a bar top. Wasn't sure if it was tiki....but who cares...it looks cool.

Where is a good place to get that corrugated metal. I think I would like to do some thing with that as well?

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-09 12:31 pm   Permalink

Jim if you want to find the metal roofing, I would post an ad on craigslist that seams to be a good source for such items. I happened to let a few people know that I was looking and got a number and the roofing was mine for a small fee, think I had 100.00 into it. Good luck on your search and to let you know if you do the plates on a bar top the clear epoxy I used is not cold tolerant so you would have to bring in the bar top over winter, its a pain top be honest. I may change mine because im not taking it in and out every year after this season, I may try heat tap or something to help but im not carrying it in again, to dam heavy.

View Profile of TikiMeplus3 Send a personal message to TikiMeplus3  Email TikiMeplus3     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 5:35 pm   Permalink

Very nice job. I love the roof as is. I wanted to put corrugated metal on my ceiling in my bar, the Tiki Nui but couldn't find any at a good price.

What type of epoxy did you use and where did you buy it? Is it difficult to apply? The bar I recycled has to be redone and I might want to modify your great idea to fit my bar.

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-12 9:16 pm   Permalink

Just search bar top coatings and you will find more info than needed. I have used the high dollar and the cheaper stuff and each works great, as long as no sunlight directly hits the bar top for long periods use the cheap stuff. Once you bar is level, mix equal parts of exopy and resin and pour aloow to flow and you can help it with a plastic spreader and then keep adding until depth desired is obtained, as a note I used 4 gallons on my bar top because the plates I used were not totally level so I had to cover them but I could have used 2 gallons with a level surface. After all the material is poured use a blow torch to remove any bubbles and let her dry. REMEMBER this clear bar top material will not do good outside in cold weather because it will freeze and crack, trust me I know and what a pain that was. Good luck.

Tuna Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-13 07:24 am   Permalink

Really sweeeeet bar. I was thinking of doing something like this in my back yard as an outdoor kitchen. Now you have me inspired. What did you use to color the concrete? Is that a fire pit off to the right? How big is your freakin' yard? Really nice, thanx for sharing.

Quote:

On 2010-06-09 17:35, TikiVato wrote:
What type of epoxy did you use and where did you buy it? Is it difficult to apply? The bar I recycled has to be redone and I might want to modify your great idea to fit my bar.

I used "Enviro Tex Lite" on my bar top. It was pretty easy to use and I got great results. They sell it at Michael's. It's not really cheap, but if you look in the newspaper or their website you can get 50% off coupons.

View Profile of Tuna Tiki Send a personal message to Tuna Tiki  Email Tuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-16 2:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-13 07:24, Tuna Tiki wrote:
Really sweeeeet bar. I was thinking of doing something like this in my back yard as an outdoor kitchen. Now you have me inspired. What did you use to color the concrete? Is that a fire pit off to the right? How big is your freakin' yard? Really nice, thanx for sharing.

Tuna the concrete was "stained" with actual concrete stain, it is applied after the concrete is hard and then a clear coat goes over it to make it pop!, fire pit is on the right and its basically a fire ring sunk into the cement a few inches, honestly the cement is where I have the most money because everything was recycled stuff from the poles and bolts from the power company, the roofing from an old barn being torn down, and the rest is basically a treasure hunt for deals on stuff to make it look cool or interesting. Good luck with your project!!!

Quote:

On 2010-06-09 17:35, TikiVato wrote:

I used "Enviro Tex Lite" on my bar top. It was pretty easy to use and I got great results. They sell it at Michael's. It's not really cheap, but if you look in the newspaper or their website you can get 50% off coupons.

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 4:06 pm   Permalink

I like the use of retro colors in the bar top, and I wish that that could've been carried over onto the bar stool legs; any chance of repainting them to echo the palate and mosaic look of the bar top?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-19 11:49 am   Permalink

Appreciate the idea on the bar stools but believe it or not I may change the bar top. The reason is that the clear on the bar top can not freeze which I never knew about until it actually happened and I had to redo the bar top. If I thought about it more I should have changed it then but didnt. Either I bring this inside or redo it for next season, and bringing it in is a pain. I may come up with another idea , possibly colored cement or material I dont have to worry about.

mickeyfish

Posted: 2010-06-19 1:53 pm   Permalink

it looks great, i am soooo jealous. i am part way through my garage/tiki bar conversion and hope it looks even half as good as yours. regards mick

View Profile of mickeyfish Send a personal message to mickeyfish  Email mickeyfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-26 7:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks Mickyfish all I can say is use this site to your advantage for ideas, inspiration and access the best minds in tiki. These guys have great ideas to save cash and get awesome results. Good luck bud, take care

Ticklish_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-27 08:47 am   Permalink

WOW!! Very inspiring work!! Thank you for sharing!!

View Profile of Ticklish_Tiki Send a personal message to Ticklish_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMeplus3
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-27 9:58 pm   Permalink

Here is a current photos guys, these were taken a few weeks ago.

This is an up view, hard to make this angle look decent.

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-28 07:55 am   Permalink

For Michigan, it doesn't get much better

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation