FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Aloha Jhoe's, Palm Springs, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Aloha Jhoe's, Palm Springs, CA (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-25 10:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-25 18:17, Dustycajun wrote:
Westadad and Club Noname,

Thanks for the translation. Here is the back of the card. What does it say!

Bigbro, thanks also for all of the info, you seem to be right on all accounts. Although the two figures lying on the ground with the gray feathers seem to be more like the Duk Duk in design.

Still a good excuse to explore Duk Duk once again!

DC.

But now we gotta find out WHERE they do this "symbolic combat bird dance", darn it!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 06:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-25 22:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
But now we gotta find out WHERE they do this "symbolic combat bird dance", darn it!

No mention on the backside where this takes place unfortunately.

Here's my best attempt to translate what's in the boxed area, I apologize in advance, my French is horrible.

"Religious dance to the Pacific Islands. In the islands of the South Pacific Ocean. we discover the various species of birds that are distinguished by their dense plumage, with various colors including Cockatoo, the Hummingbirds and Paradise. The natives have the feathers. (Cant make sense of this sentence) ??? are especially during religious ceremonies. Our picture shows three men wearing the mantle of Capuchin made using feathers of Cockatoo and Hummingbirds. they engage in a symbolic struggle of "good spirit" against the "evil spirit" who, dressed in a dark plumage, is represented to you. This fight gives rise to an annual solemnity. Single men can attend."

I'm still searching for the where this took place.

[ This Message was edited by: WestADad 2012-03-26 06:10 ]

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-15 09:19 am   Permalink

Hope to find our more about that bird dance.

Now this old German postcard is a Duk Duk.

When is a duck not a duck? When it's a Duk Duk!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-15 11:14 am   Permalink

Nyuck nyuck!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-17 8:59 pm   Permalink

Tried for this very cool Aloha Jhoe's drink menu on ebay.

The drinks.

Some interesting drink names.

They had a nice clam-shell bowl.

And the Aloha Jhoe's Punch (Mystery Drink?)

Rhum story.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-09-17 9:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks DC for bumping this - fun to reread the Duk Duk discourse from bigbro, and nice to see that menu. Funny coincidence because with no knowledge of that ebay menu you showed, just last night I happened to scan the Aloha Jhoes drink menu page from a 1963 Palm Springs desert menu book. Here tis...

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-08 10:32 am   Permalink

Here's a photo from the Palm Springs Historical Society that was mistakenly attributed to Don The Beachcomber's in an online article about the renovation of the old Don's property. The photo gives a rare glimpse of the inside of Aloha Jhoe's:

You can see the clamshell-shaped "Aloha Jhoe's Orchid Bowl" from the menu photos that DC posted. Also the famous Sascha Brastoff candle holder, (though I'm wondering now, could it have been used as a holder for a tall collins glass instead?). I love the elaborate hat that the waitress is wearing.

Here's the article about Don The Beachcomber's, that posted the photo:

http://www.desertsun.com/story/life/2014/09/07/don-the-beachcomber-palm-springs/15123257/#

Oh yeah - the folks sitting at the table are Janice and Frank Bogert, (the former mayor of Palm Springs).

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2014-09-08 10:34 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-08 2:14 pm   Permalink

Good call, Tim! Those crazy Aloha Jhoe's hats!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-14 01:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-08 09:32, Dustycajun wrote:
Sabu,

Cool article, here is a Sascha Tiki ashtray.

DC

I thought this was pointed out some years ago, but I don't see mention of it so.....

This is from Sascha Brastoff's Pacific Northwest line & is in fact an "Indian Totem Pole" image
and not a Tiki, I am a collector of Brastoff & have this same piece in brown (and yes, it is still cool)
but facts are facts.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation