[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Some depressing rum rumors
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Some depressing rum rumors
Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-13 08:41 am   Permalink

While visiting my local liquor superstore this past weekend, I stumbled upon some depressing information. This particular liquor chain has a website which allows you to search the stock of its flagship store in Houston, and a pre-shopping search had revealed that the Houston store stocks El Dorado 151 as well as several variants of Old New Orleans Louisiana rum. Acting on the logic that the giant warehouse-sized outpost here in Austin would have roughly the same stock as the home store in Houston, I ventured out to pick up some goods. However, after a thorough perusal of the rum stock, I came up empty. There was no El Dorado 151 and no Old New Orleans. What the hell?

So I sought out my friendly liquor purveyor and queried him on this shocking state of affairs. The news I received is of the cliched "good news/bad news" variety. First, the bad news. Lemon Hart does not export its 151 to the US, and El Dorado has apparently ceased either producing or exporting its 151-proof rum. F. How in the hell am I supposed to make a (pseudo-)genuine Zombie without 151-proof Demerara? And, this is not some temporary problem, but one that apparently will persist indefinitely. Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?

Anyway, can anyone either confirm or disconfirm this depressing rumor?

The good news I received is this: Old New Orleans rum is now distributed outside of Louisiana. They have it in Houston. Unfortunately, owing to the brilliance of the Texas liquor regulations, its distribution in Central Texas has not been approved. Those smarmy Gulf Coast elites are probably sipping a glass of ONO right now, taking great pleasure in their role as the rum haves and the knowledge that Central Texans are rum have-nots. Lousy Houston. But, never fear! I'm told that Old New Orleans is on its way, charging headlong towards Austin like the cavalry of old western films. Yee-friggin'-haw.

View Profile of Austin_Tiki Send a personal message to Austin_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-13 7:00 pm   Permalink

I can tell you this much.... Lemon Hart 80 is plentiful in Massachusetts but we cannot find any 151 lately.

-Rev

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-14 12:40 am   Permalink

I would give these folks a call. I've ordered from them and they were very helpful over the phone:
http://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=3&dept=01&class=06&subclass=08&sortby=&numperpage=30

FYI, I've had no problem getting Lemon Hart 151 in South Florida, but the store I frequent has been stocked up for some time.

Please let us know if you find any truth to these rumors so I can run down there and clear the shelf.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-08-14 06:52 am   Permalink

See this thread for Lemon Hart availability: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28102&forum=10&start=30&33. Sounds like it's a regional thing...as I wrote in my recent post, LH 80 easily found in Oregon, LH 151 easily found in Washington.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-14 08:04 am   Permalink

I saw Lemon Hart 151 in a store a few months ago. Does that mean it was perhaps in one of the final shipments? I returned and couldn't find any...

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-14 7:11 pm   Permalink

Lemon Heart 151 is imported into the US, for sure. In fact, it has become a big seller and has grown in sales for the past 3 years.

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2008-08-14 8:26 pm   Permalink

the 151 lemon hart is readily available in Washington state.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-14 10:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-14 19:11, bewarethe151 wrote:
Lemon Heart 151 is imported into the US, for sure. In fact, it has become a big seller and has grown in sales for the past 3 years.

I just bought a bottle here in Santa Cruz last weekend...

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-08-15 06:33 am   Permalink

Now Oregon has LH 151 available...at least at the Hawthorne liquor store in SE Portland. Saw a whole bunch of bottles there yesterday at $24 each (w/ no sales tax). Didn't see any "regular" LH though.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jacflash
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-15 10:04 am   Permalink

MA... I was in a liquor store in Central Sq in Cambridge that had LH 151 a couple of days ago. The Wine and Cheese Cask in Somerville stocks both varieties and had 'em both in stock last I checked, a few weeks ago. Also try the Wine Cellars of Silene in Waltham near Winter/Wyman.

View Profile of jacflash Send a personal message to jacflash      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiwattowner
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-15 12:42 pm   Permalink

Which store in Cambridge had it recently? Unfortunately Wine Cellars in Waltham now out of stock on the Lemon Hart 151 (still the lower proof at Gordon's in Waltham and Martignetti's on Soldiers Field Road).

Thanks

View Profile of hiwattowner Send a personal message to hiwattowner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2008-08-17 10:07 pm   Permalink

Lemon Hart 151 is most definitely still imported to the US. We pour close to 4 cases a month. They sponsored my event at Tiki Oasis.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 08:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-17 22:07, martiki wrote:
Lemon Hart 151 is most definitely still imported to the US. We pour close to 4 cases a month. They sponsored my event at Tiki Oasis.

Whew! This thread had me worried. Thanks for the info, Martin.

[ This Message was edited by: BrickHorn 2008-08-18 08:17 ]

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 10:22 am   Permalink

I just scanned a bunch of threads here on TC and on some other boards, and it seems that no one has compiled a clear and definitive list of what states DO carry Lemon Hart.

Seems like CA and parts of New England are the only people who get it reliably.

Anyone know if it is easily available in Indiana or Michigan?
I'm driving to Ohio next week (not available there or in Illinois), and will pull over to grab some...

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-18 11:20 am   Permalink

tikibars - we have Lemon Hart 80-proof Demerara here in Texas. I have not been able to locate any of the 151-proof.

martiki - I'm glad to hear 151 is still imported into the U.S. I guess the next step is to see if there's a liquor store around that can put a case or two on order for me. By the way, have you tried any of the Old New Orleans rums? I'd like to get an educated opinion on how well they work in the old recipes that call for Louisiana rum.

View Profile of Austin_Tiki Send a personal message to Austin_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation