FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki What do you think of this Shag serigraph ?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
What do you think of this Shag serigraph ?
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 8:39 pm   Permalink

Your opinions/thoughts/etc. welcome ...Thinking of splurging on this ...

TWO HEAVY DRINKERS

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-15 8:49 pm   Permalink

thats the one i have~ my only Shag print, and i adore it. splurge and let Linc at Frame Fetish matte and frame it for you..its that special.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-08-15 9:06 pm   Permalink

That's a nice one, I'd have it framed up real nice if it was mine also..
aloha

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 9:11 pm   Permalink

It's $ 300 framed the way you see it . One unframed went for around $ 380 on Ebay a few weeks ago .

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 9:17 pm   Permalink

Buy it if you really like it, don't if you're having second thoughts. If it's just a money thing, then I say spend the cash if it is something you adore.

Dogbytes' looks amazing. I agree with her. Have Frame Fetish do it up right for you.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 9:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-15 20:49, dogbytes wrote:
thats the one i have~ my only Shag print, and i adore it. splurge and let Linc at Frame Fetish matte and frame it for you..its that special.

Can you post a pic of yours framed ? Mahalo !

Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 9:54 pm   Permalink

Its got tikis, birds, a Moaitender and two shriners...What else could you ask for? Definately a nice print at a good price. Not too long ago, we picked up Shag's "The Raft Of Medusa" print, soon to be making its way over to Links place at F.F......Good pick Sushi, if you go for it!

Quote:

On 2008-08-15 20:39, sushiman wrote:

TWO HEAVY DRINKERS

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-16 02:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-15 21:54, Tom Slick wrote:
Its got tikis, birds, a Moaitender and two shriners...What else could you ask for? Definately a nice print at a good price. Not too long ago, we picked up Shag's "The Raft Of Medusa" print, soon to be making its way over to Links place at F.F......Good pick Sushi, if you go for it!

Quote:

On 2008-08-15 20:39, sushiman wrote:

TWO HEAVY DRINKERS

You got RAFT OF THE MEDUSA ??? THAT'S the one I REALLY yearn for !! Coincidence !

sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-16 07:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-15 20:49, dogbytes wrote:

Here is a pic of the print from a Shag book . Why are the shriner's suits a different color ? I notice other minor differences as well . Is your print exactly like the one I am thinking about buying , or it like the one in the book ?

sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-16 07:35 am   Permalink

From a dealer's site . Yet again different colors .

tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-16 07:44 am   Permalink

The book shows the original painting, the print was done with different colors.

If you can purchase this for $300, go for it. You can always sell it for more later if you don't like it.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-16 5:59 pm   Permalink

I'm beginning to think this dealer in Tokyo is selling fakes . I've looked at dozens of Shag prints , inc. a couple just like the one I am interested in , and the G of Shag is always written thusly :

Compare this G to the one in my initial pic .

I'm seeing some other minute differences between the Tokyo print and pics of other HEAVY DRINKERS but they could be attributed to a variety of things inc. camera , light , etc...But this signature has got me wondering . What do you all think ?

Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-17 06:06 am   Permalink

Dude..... that looks suspicious! Those are VERY different G's! My three shags have the descending line down from the the curve. NOT the rounded pot bellied bubble. Call one of the art dealers that deals directly with him. Keep us posted!

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 08:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-16 17:59, sushiman wrote:
I'm beginning to think this dealer in Tokyo is selling fakes .

Oh, the dealers in Tokyo. Well, then yes, I think there's a strong possibility you've got a fake on your hands. Given this bit of information, I'd steer clear of it, unless you can verify it's authenticity.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 11:25 am   Permalink

The sig definitely looks suspicious. The arch over the A looks funky too. Try writing Shag directly and send him that pic of the sig, he'll no doubt be able to tell right away if he did it or not. If he didn't, I'm sure he'll be interested to know there are fakes of his work starting to circulate. This is always dangerous stuff not only because it's taking money out of the original artist's pocket but also because if it's done shoddily and on crappy paper then it can damage his reputation if people confuse the fakes for the real deal.

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation