FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What to do with cinnamon-infused syrup?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What to do with cinnamon-infused syrup?
toofastjim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-03 3:34 pm   Permalink

Speaking of cinnamon-infused syrup, I just bought a bottle of Starbucks Dolce cinnamon syrup - The Bum referenced Starbucks in Sippin' Safari. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this vs the homemade version. I immediately made the Donga punch, '34 Zombie, Tropical Itch and the Jet Pilot. I felt that, even as part of Don's mix, the cinnamon flavor was really prominent - not overly spicy as there is ample sugar in the syrup, but definitely omnipresent. Anyway, just looking for feedback on Starbucks vs the homemade stuff. To the other posters in PA, its definitely worth it to get the martinique rum, if not for these drinks, for many others. Although, except for the Tropical Itch (bourbon flavor came through too much), the other drinks - '34 Zombie, Jet Pilot, Donga punch - were well worth making.

tfj

View Profile of toofastjim Send a personal message to toofastjim  Goto the website of toofastjim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-09-04 06:45 am   Permalink

As mentioned in this previous post, the Bum now says to avoid the Starbucks cinnamon syrup: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26890&forum=10&vpost=353594&hilite=Beachbum%20Berry

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
oysterschnapps
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-04 12:51 pm   Permalink

tfj,

I tried going the commercial route for cinnamon syrup as well, but there's nothing inexpensive that's suitable for tiki drinks. Making it yourself per the Bum's instructions is almost as easy as making simple syrup, so I felt kind of dumb for not trying it first. Break up three cinnamon sticks (you want pieces that are too large to fit through your sieve, so pieces between the size of matchsticks and ball bearings are best), then throw them in a small saucepan with a cup of water and a cup of sugar. Bring to a boil while stirring to dissolve the sugar, cover, simmer for two minutes, turn the heat off, wait four hours, then pour the syrup through a sieve into an empty 500-ml soda bottle or mason jar. Approximate cost: less than $2 for 12 oz of syrup.

BTW, I totally agree about the Martinique rum. Drinks that require it just can't be made properly without it. I need to see how the Clement VSOP compares to the St. James Hors d'Age, though, since the former seems to be much easier to get here.

View Profile of oysterschnapps Send a personal message to oysterschnapps      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lois201
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-13 3:30 pm   Permalink

Wow! I love cinnamon syrup, but Ive never tried actually making it myself. How exactly did you do that? Anyhow, I find cinnamon really works well with any kinds of hot drinks, be it hot chocolate, coffee or even tea (yes it works!!).. also, you could try adding it randomly when you bake something, my mom used to put some in apple pie and it would taste deliciously good. Have fun experimenting, and put your cinnamon syrup to good use !

View Profile of lois201 Send a personal message to lois201      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-13 3:35 pm   Permalink

Cinnamon syrup is also nice mixed with mineral water about 1 part to 5 parts bubbly water.
It made me realize how much cinnamon flavor might be in a cola beverage.
It's also a nice addition to apple cider hard or not.

Best
Mark

View Profile of Sparkle Mark Send a personal message to Sparkle Mark  Goto the website of Sparkle Mark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-14 02:43 am   Permalink

You are correct there is cinnamon flavor in cola.

Cola flavor is cinnamon, vanilla, acid and sweetener.

Coke uses phosphoric acid and Pepsi uses citric acid.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-10-14 06:28 am   Permalink

"Sippin' Safari" has the recipe to make cinnamon syrup...it's pretty easy to make. There's another thread here somewhere about the best type of cinnamon sticks to use for it.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-14 09:41 am   Permalink

There's some cinnamon info in this post. If you're looking to use the quills as swizzle sticks, then cassia is your best bet. If you want to make anything, where cinnamon flavor and consumption is the goal then Ceylon cinnamon is a must.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation