Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Moai on Parade
Moai on Parade
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-20 08:28 am   Permalink

Here's a crazy idea - like the Chicago Cows on Parade.
1. You get a plain white Moai at minimal cost ($5? to cover material cost and shipping)
2. You decorate it however you want. Not everyone has access to glaze and a kiln, so use whatever media you want (they won't be drink-safe)
3. Post a photo and description here of your mug
4. Pack your Moai up and send it to another randomly selected participant.
5. Bring or send your Moai to Oasis 2009 for display

Any interest, comments, suggestions?

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2008-08-20 10:34 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 11:08 am   Permalink

I like the idea. Maybe even something more than a $5 moai. Maybe get tiki farm in on this. But where would the $5 moai come from.

I like it but don't understand #4. Omit step 4 and sounds good

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-20 1:06 pm   Permalink

It would be great to get bisqued, unglazed moais from TikiFarm if they were reasonably priced. Otherwise I'm sure we could sucker someone with a kiln to make some. Seems the Moai should be clean and simple, let the decoration do the talking.

I'm not stuck on step 4 (trading Moais). There is just such artistic depth on this board that I thought it would be cool to send your masterpiece off and receive someone else's masterpiece, most people already have enough of their own stuff. By random I mean something like placing the participants on a list in numerical order by their mailing address and you send yours to the person below you

Just a thought

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 1:18 pm   Permalink

Sounds like fun!

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-22 08:11 am   Permalink

I think they should be bigger than mug size - 1 to 2 feet would be awesome!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-22 09:17 am   Permalink

You know what the monkey said when he crapped in the cash register... "This is going to run into the money!"

Larger Moai would be cool but seems that a 2 foot tall ceramic Moai could get pricey! Besides, It would hold 40 gallons of MaiTai and I'm not much of a drinker

jpmartdog, loved your website - great art!

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation