FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki online auction question, besides ebay what is there?
online auction question, besides ebay what is there?
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 7:22 pm   Permalink

Hi, I am hoping some TCers can assist me. I would like to know if anyone can recommend an online auction site other than ebay. I am interested in selling items on a site that is not ebay (for reasons I wont get into here) but I dont know which auction format sites are reputable. Has anyone had experience selling items on any of these competing sites and which are safe to use? I googled a bunch of sites but I cant tell which is best so I am asking. Thanks in advance.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 7:38 pm   Permalink

What are you looking to sell/buy?

If it's handmade (or sewing/craft-oriented), you can try
www.etsy.com - I've found great stuff (fabric, vintage patterns, etc.) there.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-22 07:42 am   Permalink

I am looking to sell, in an auction style format where buyers bid, rather than a fixed price marketplace, vintage knick knack antique type items like pottery and glass, old books and old kitchen items. No handmade stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGoddess 2008-08-22 07:44 ]

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-22 09:39 am   Permalink

..i use ebay exclusively and now i'm curious as to why you don't....i'd like to hear more about that...is there something we need to know about ebay?

also...does yahoo still have auctions??

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-22 12:59 pm   Permalink

ebay is making a number of changes that will negatively impact sellers, starting in Oct 2008. I wont torture everyone w/ my complaints here, but I sell on ebay to fund a dog rescue and the changes are going to really cut into my funding. You can read about the changes on ebays website. Basically its paypal must be used, and when buyers complain in any way sellers can be barred from ebay.

davealmost
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-27 10:33 pm   Permalink

i've also noted those changes along with the increased sellers fees in the past. about a month ago i sold a few items and later compared it to what i was charged a few years ago and was a little stunned (including the paypal fees). to be honest, now, i wouldn't list something on ebay unless it was a big ticket item.

also, yahoo is no longer doing auctions.

[ This Message was edited by: davealmost 2008-08-27 22:36 ]

View Profile of davealmost Send a personal message to davealmost  Email davealmost     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation