FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts PalaPala's latest mugs! win a free mug ! Killa Drink custom mades and OTR's. now on etsy.com!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PalaPala's latest mugs! win a free mug ! Killa Drink custom mades and OTR's. now on etsy.com!
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 7:48 pm   Permalink

Hey everyone - here's my first attempt at a reproducible mug of my design. Love to get some feedback from you all - if all goes well I should be able to market these on ebay in the fall. This first one is a human skull, but I plan to use the same pineapple with dog, cat, monkey, and bird skulls. Let me know what you think!
This mug holds 8 oz of your favorite poison, and fits comfortably in the palm of your sweaty little hand...

A bit about me....

I live in the Seattle area,and we are just getting to know all the Tikinestas in the area. We have attended the last 2 home tiki bar crawls.I have a mug collection on Ooga- Mooga at
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/collection.cgi?mode=gallery&user_id=329 .

My husband, Lopaka and I have "the zombie hut tiki lounge" in our basement.you can see pic's of it, and us on http://yako.homeserver.com/tikilounge . I have been learning ceramics, and have begun to do mould making for slip cast mugs. I'm very proud of my first "Death apple" mug, and am looking to refine the glazes and design.

My backround in tiki culture started in L.A. in the early '60's, when my Mom and dad would take us to "The Luau" restaurant in Bevery Hills, California for dinner on a regular basis for a rumaki and pork rib feast.Dad would get his Navy Grog, and I would be ecstatically absorbed with the over the top kitchy Polynesian decor.

A trip on the Matson line cruse ship to Hawaii when I was 9 was such a revelation, that it coloured my vision of what paradise should be to this day .I guess I'm a senior member of the tiki movement, since I was involved at the first go around of the love affair all things Polynesian. My Grandma and grandpa had what they called "the lanai" it was a beautiful room in their house
full of Hawaiian and kitch memorabilia. great stuff!so, my family tradition continues with me.

Mega Mahalos,
PalaPala

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-07-22 09:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-07-22 13:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-09-08 21:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-09-09 09:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-09-09 09:10 ]

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GO TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 8:03 pm   Permalink

Very Cool! It's fun to create ceramics! Great Job! Cheers! Gogo

View Profile of GO TIKI Send a personal message to GO TIKI  Email GO TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 9:36 pm   Permalink

I like it a lot. Nice pineapple yellow glaze. The fez tassels, the small string end, is a nice touch. ONly one suggestion to make it better, take it or leave it, is a little more "depth" to the opening, the leaves. The slightest thickness to the middle of the leaf or the tiniest of texture. Just so its not a slab cut. A slab is a more dead object verses getting a little more hand worked shape. ~tea

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-22 07:17 am   Permalink

Very nice! (good call TeaKey). Can the pineapple crown be molded & slipcast or will you cast the pineapple and add the crown?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 12:21 pm   Permalink

oh very nice Palapala! Welcome! love the little fez-skull!!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-24 4:28 pm   Permalink

Hi PalaPala...welcome to TC. Your home is beautiful and great collection. We are Tiki sistas...since I see you have a girl Tiki from Bill. I just got my VampTiki from him at Oasis. Keep posting pics of your ceramics...love the pineapple.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-25 6:14 pm   Permalink

The pineapple part of my mug is a casting of a pressed glass vase. the leaves at the top are the "neck" of the vase, so, when I make the casting, I cut and folded it to look more like a true pineapple.I have been at work at creating more images to use on the front... So far I have an evil kitty and a monkey skull...I think I might create a dead drunk moai, too!
BTW...I'm changing the name of this mug line to "dirtnapple".what do you think?
MahaloZ,
Pala

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 5:59 pm   Permalink

Aloha all -
I'd like to introduce my two new mugs. These are first in the run and I'm still playing with the glazes. So hopefully for your pleasure and entertainment, presenting, Uke-to-pus (the somewhat twisted love-child of a ukelele and an octopus with a little tiki seasoning thrown in ), and Maui Onion ( don't cry for me, polynesia ) . And as an added bonus, a dirtnapple "goodbye kitty".

I'm thinking about making these available exclusively to Ooga Mooga and Tiki central-ites for a while. I have no idea how much to ask for them at this point; what do you think and/or offer?

Mahaloz, and Enjoy:

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 11:55 am   Permalink

"Love to get some feedback from you all..."

The pineapple has a cool look to it, I like the leaves, and the glaze is especially nice. But I don't care for the decorations you add onto them. For me, the decorations distract from the design.

I wonder if a plain pineapple mug might have some appeal to others.

Or maybe not. Some of the artists I like on TC no one else seems to think much of.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 1:50 pm   Permalink

Hi Pala, I love the vintage looking patina you get on those 'Dirtnapple' mugs. Makes them look like they've been around for a while. Great job!

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 3:31 pm   Permalink

Thanx, woofmutt and Mr. 3 P!
It would be easier by far to just make the Dirtnapples without any press molded additions, just the body of the mug itself..Maybe I'll slip cast a few and see how they do...The glazes on the mug are exclusive to the art school I work out of, and I'm never sure how they'll fire out.
Sometimes shiny, sometimes matt, or a mix of the 2. Glad you like the look!
I'm really proud of my Uke-to-pus, and I think I'll try some of the same glazes on one.
I like the matt look a lot!

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-04-13 15:32 ]

Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 07:58 am   Permalink

ummm I hate to say this because I will never hear the end of it from Ruzic.
But.....I just got it, the light bulb just went on, I had the dirtnapple revelation

Dirt nap
pineapple
dirt nap ple
dirtnapple
ooooOOOOoo
thats clever

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2009-04-18 07:59 ]

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 12:20 pm   Permalink

hi!

Your pineapple mug is just great,and to woofmutt's post, a plain one would be cool too.

Great job!

amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 8:37 pm   Permalink

Love the Uke-to-pus mug... It kind of resembles the Aloha Jhoes duk-duk logo from palm springs. Very polished and professional looking. Keep em coming!

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 8:41 pm   Permalink

Ohhhh...and I have no idea how much I would offer (cause I'm poor AND cheap, so I don't want to set some cheap standard for your work) but if you start selling your mugs, I'd love to purchase one! The green glaze on the uke-to-pus is awesome!

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation