FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts PalaPala's latest mugs! win a free mug ! Killa Drink custom mades and OTR's. now on etsy.com!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PalaPala's latest mugs! win a free mug ! Killa Drink custom mades and OTR's. now on etsy.com!
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-03 11:17 am   Permalink

ok ohana - Here's the latest mugs fresh out of the kiln. Love some feedback, though i'm pretty happy with my Maui onion with the little green stem crown; its a lovely shade of semi-matte brown.

( Lopaka noticed that the small shot glass used to lift the mugs up makes it look like the mugs are floating on a magnetic repulser field - Its really a magic Rum transporter, so that the mug never empties! ( demonstrations available )

Here's a Uke-To-Pus with a transparent bottle green glaze over a dark brown stain with a semi-translucent purple inside.

------

This one was done with calcium carbonate stain and then transparent matte glaze over the basket weave body of the mug. Inside is translucent green.

------

These colors and stains are identical to the dirtnapple mug. Transparent browny gold with a brown stain, a bottle green transparent on the details and the inside.

------

Dirtnapple plain and simple with no added press molded details.

------

Dirtnapple glaze without the green with a brown stain underneath. No little onion crown.

------

This is my favorite of the moment. Semi - transparent matte brown, with a darker brown stain underneath. Semi-translucent green on the onion stem crown. I like the detail of this, cause it gives it a more "onion-y" quality, and a nice little straw rest into the bargain.

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-03 1:02 pm   Permalink

Hi Pala! Nice work!! I like them all and especially love the pineapple. You have many talents!
(ps-I'm still working on ideas for your 'evil' diorama )

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 8:15 pm   Permalink

Question to all you artists and mug lovers out there: What do you think of this "mistake" - that happened when I put too much copper stain on the mug body, then put transparent matte glaze on top? It fired kind of interesting and blotchy with a verdigris quality like its been undersea for a while. Does it look cool, or should I stick with a solid tone? Happy mistake, or horrible twist of fate? You be the judge...

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 8:44 pm   Permalink

bottlecrowns and Uketopusses!
Beautiful!
Quite a happy Accident on that last one!
Jot it down and wait til the right piece sings for it!

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(Which i update every so often)
I'm on FaceBook too-Go cheggitout!)

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 9:48 pm   Permalink

Super cool mugs Palapala!

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 10:01 pm   Permalink

Hey Palapala - I like the mistake mug, but maybe you could have a different color with the turquoise in the spaces around it? It would look great with a pale watery gloss blue or really pale lemon yellow...

(Babalu is always making little tests on bent pieces of pottery to try different glazes, then you write the glaze name on the back.)

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 10:06 pm   Permalink

Jeez, missed alla yer May posts.

Dig the "Dirt Napple" sans ornamentation. Very strong.

The onion design is also strong, the face is good and I really like the way the opening looks with the greens. Really cool design and a clever take on a Hawaiian icon.

The glazes in general are really cool and I like the color combinations.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-26 09:16 am   Permalink

Thanks for the feedback!
Ken-I'm listening for that Muse a hollerin' all the time!

Mp-thanks, too.

Wooffie-your suggestion to make "naked dirtnapples" was a great one, and thanks for the Maui onion props!

cammo-the copper stain I used that ran is an interesting way to color ceramic works...If you just leave it plain, without any glaze on top, It stays a dark kind of matt brown, but if you glaze over it it goes green-blue Verdigris, so, when the transparant glaze ran, it left that brown unglazed look behind, so I could'nt do a different color in the brown spots unless I reglazed and fired again.
More mugs to come!

palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-27 11:15 am   Permalink

here's my latest mug..

(I got this text from
http://www.art-pacific.com/artifacts/nuguinea/sepikriv/sepikmid/yentmeri.htm)

This style of Sepik River female figure is originally from Yenichenmangua Village.(1) Their carvings are usually plainer with no body painting. Tambanum Village carvers recently began making this primal woman. They often decorate her with their clan designs. One version has bat wings.

She is sometimes referred to as hewe-meri or two-kina meri because of her split-leg stance, but she is actually a protector of women. Her traditional name varies from village to village depending on the language group. She is said to have great protective power over women. If she sees a man abusing a women, she can turn him into woman. People will tell of hearing a story where this actually happened in the recent past.

Powerful female figures are common in clan stories. Many creation stories feature a woman who gives birth to the first members of the clan. She often discovers, or is given by a spirit animal or bird, the knowledge and tools that the villagers will need to survive in the jungle. A typical saying is that women had the power or discovered the knowledge, but the men took it from them.

I'm still playing with the glazes..And I've decided to put actual eyes on her, I've been told She's pretty creepy, as it is! She's the first mug I've done that's kinda serious..but I hope she appeals to men and women alike..now you can feel that your drink is safe from evil!
BTW, I've decided to sell my mugs for $35.00 each, except the naked dirtnapple...that one is $25.00..

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-06-27 11:17 ]

palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 10:41 am   Permalink

Here's my latest efforts. I've been playing around with High-Fire glazes.

I'm not sure I like them yet, the glazes are simply not as vivid and

they don't seem to want to stay in one place.

The mugs for Lopaka and Digitiki and my niece are low fire.
if anyone wants a custom mug, PM me!
$35.00 each for a custom killa drink,
$22.00 for a naked dirtnapple.
I'm up for trades or negotiation, if you've got a good story to tell!

High-Fire Naked Dirtnapple:

High-Fire Custom Killa-Drink kinda bleed-y and scary...

Side View custom mug for DigiTiki

Front view custom mug for DigiTIki

My Husband's custom Killa Drink mug

Killa Drink in soda blue glaze for my niece's High School graduation ( Berkeley High - yes, we are contributing to her upcoming delinquency )

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-07-22 13:22 ]

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 12:07 pm   Permalink

I just hope you didn't let her get behind the wheel after downin' that whole mug of guacamole.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-22 12:18 pm   Permalink

Palapala, your high fired naked dirtnapple reminds me of one of my favorite summertime treats - grilled pineapple

Nice work! Good luck with your high fire ventures.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 1:28 pm   Permalink

I just had a bad feeling about my post...since I'm hoping to sell some mugs, do I need to put that info on tiki marketplace, or is it ok to just mention it here?
Oh, and Woofie, she did drive after, and there was an unfortunate but delish rear ending of a dorito's delivery van... Oh the humanity!

[ This Message was edited by: palapala 2009-07-22 13:31 ]

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 2:30 pm   Permalink

Get a separate thread going in Marketplace. You can link back and forth but ideally you should post images over there.

Some people come here to shop, some to admire art. Quite a few people only check their favorite forums.

palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-08 9:24 pm   Permalink

Here's my first non custom "Killa drink" mug that's for sale...

they all start out
with a blank banner on the back, and I put whatever seems right on it...this one has "Okole Maluna" which is Hawaiian for bottoms up.

I want to know from you all what OTHER silly stuff I should put on the banner for selling on Ebay and etsy.. here's some that I've thought might work.

I'm with stupid(arrow pointing up)

Tiki trollop

I'm with the band

fill drink repeat

If anyone comes up with somthing that makes me laugh for one to two minutes, I'll make one for them and send it out free!

Let me know what your fevered little brains come up with!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation