FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Need hi resolution photo of Easter Island moais as seen from a distance for a rain effect window
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Need hi resolution photo of Easter Island moais as seen from a distance for a rain effect window
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 04:56 am   Permalink

Aloha,
I am building a rain effect window just like the one in the Enchanted Tiki Room in Disneyland. I want to use a background picture of the Easter Island moais, as seen from a distance, as the background image for this rain window effect, so when you look out the window, it would appear as though you are looking at the moais from a distance.

I have the opportunity to have the image printed on a fabric/curtain type material, which works perfect for my purpose, and I can get one printed up at a great price if I can get a hi resolution photo within the next couple of days. I have no hi resolution photo myself, so I was wondering if anyone else around here might have one? The dimesnions of the window are 94 inches long by 34 inches tall, and here is a pic of the window that this fabric curtain background will go into, to make the rain window effect. Any help with some type of hi resoulution photo of the moais of Easter Island as seen from a distance would be much appreciated! Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: Mai Tai 2009-07-21 17:20 ]

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 05:21 am   Permalink

Well, I keep meaning to get myself down there to take some pics but have not made it yet.

I would try the stock houses, that would be your best bet on such short notice. for such a large image you will probably have to pay a little.

www.istock.com of course
www.dreamstime.com has a nice free sharing network as well as for purchase.
www.superstock.com
www.BigStockPhoto.com
www.sxc.hu another free sharing site
www.comstock.com
www.corbis.com has some nice moai images as well

Good luck and let us know how it goes and post pictures!

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 07:02 am   Permalink

I recommend dreamstime. I used one of their images for Tiki Daze.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 09:31 am   Permalink

Just a thought but when you find your image, you could have it printed onto vinyl like a big sticker and apply it to a sheet of 3mm opal acrylic (the milky white translucent perspex) and use it as part of your lightbox, Assuming the fabric was to be printed on a large-format digital printer, they would have adhesive vinyl stock too and it's waterproof, mouldproof, wrinkleproof and all the other proofs, coming from the sign & printing industry this is how i would do it...
Cheers
Tiki Trav

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 09:43 am   Permalink

mai tai, i've built several (probably into the 100s) large lightboxes. let me know if you need any tips.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 10:18 am   Permalink

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 2:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tips guys! Bohemiann and Swanky, thanks for the site recommendations. So far I've only hit Dreamtime, but what I have seen so far is pretty good! Perry, I just might hit you up for some advice on building this lightbox. Trav, that is a great idea on putting it on vinyl, and applying it to an opal acrylic sheet. I could easily backlight it that way.

So far I've only poked around a little on Dreamstime,
but I have found a few things that could work. Like maybe this one:

or this one:

or this one:

Whatever image I end up going with, I need to choose one that will still look okay when I heavily crop off the bottom and top, since this window is 94 inches long and only 34 inches tall. If you guys see anything cool that would lend itself to this window design, feel free to point it out! Meanwhile, I'll keep plugging away through photos as well. Cheers,
-Bill

P.S. Boris, no soup for you!!!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 3:46 pm   Permalink

This guy posted some nice ones on TC a while ago:

http://woutervelthuis.web-log.nl/photos/travel_easter_island/copy_of_tongariki_pan_v2.html

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-25 8:50 pm   Permalink

This image is pretty damn cool. If I can buy a hi-res copy from the guy, then I just might use it.

A couple more questions, especially for Trav. I was talking to Chongolio, since he does a lot of work with vinyl stickers, and he said that applying a large vinyl sticker to a large piece of opal acrylic might be hard, especially to get all the air bubbles out. He said that even if you use a pin to pop every little bubble that shows up, they will still show up like a big ol' pimple when the image is backlit.

If you guys have any tips on applying the vinyl image to the large sheet of opal acrylic to minimize or eliminate the air bubbles, that would be awesome. Maybe I can have the image printed onto a sheet of vinyl without an adhesive backing, and use some kind of spray on glue or tack to adhere the two. I'm also looking on getting the image printed directly onto the large sheet of opal acrylic as well. Hopefully I'll have an answer on these options soon.

Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-25 9:21 pm   Permalink

Spray glue NO.
I have wrapped double decker busses in vinyl so I think I am qualified to answer for you...

One option is to use an "airflow" vinyl (3M Controltack etc but make sure it does not have Gray adhesive or it will block the light), it has like a hatching pattern in the adhesive which allows the air to escape so you just peel off the backing, flip it over and lay the entire print on the acrylic softly, paying no particular attention to bubbles. then using a scrunched up cotton rag rub it down in a circular motion from the middle outwards and all the air will be pushed out.

OR....

"wet application"... Mix a few drops of dish washing detergent or similar into a spray bottle with water. Make sure the Acrylic etc is dust free (very important) and SOAK the acrylic with your new miracle solution so it has a layer of water sitting on it (obviously we are working flat on a bench/table in both these methods).
Then lay the print on the acrylic face-down and peel off the backing paper, the water will kind of hold it in place but you still need two people, (IMPORTANT:don't get the backing paper wet before it's peeled or it peels off in little strips and will take hours and the print will probably be destroyed.) Make sure you have no breeze/fans etc that will dry the solution/blow dust onto it/ blow it off the table and stick the whole thing to it's self.

Now that the adhesive is exposed SOAK it too, making sure all of the adhesive is wet including the corners. this also makes the print easier to handle at this vulnerable stage cause it won't really stick to your fingers. Now flip it over and lay the wet adhesive side onto the wet acrylic and line it up, it shouldn't stick and will slip 'n' slide around on the acrylic so you get a few turns at getting it right but try to move at a steady pace. once it's lined up use a small credit card sized squeegee with some felt of rag wrapped over it so it doesn't scratch and starting in the middle squeegee the water out in smooth vertical straight strokes, work your way to one end then do the other end.

You will probably get some small bubbles which you can pop with an exacto but don't pop em in the middle, pop em at the very edge and work the air/water from the farthest point to the hole.

OR... Take it to a sign shop and have em do it.

Done.. now I'm going to look on youtube to see if all that was necessary.

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-25 9:25 pm   Permalink

SHIT...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Vh4hObhVI

This is basically it...

Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-25 9:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info, Trav! And thanks for the YouTube video too - heh heh, they have everything on there. I bet there is a "How to build a Tiki Rain Window Lightbox" on there as well. Or there will be soon!

Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-25 9:57 pm   Permalink

Okay so I have given this a little more thought.... During a night time rain/thunder/lightning storm, you only see silhouettes...bright light and black... if you use one of those prints it will flash a daytime-sun-n-surf image that will not really work. you need a silhouette of a hillside with the moai on it... so much easier artwork/effect to create too! Opal Acrylic & black paint.

Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 01:09 am   Permalink

Yeah, I have been thinking about that as well. What I want to achieve from this window effect is occasional rain, interspersed with occasional lightning and thunder - I will have a strobe hooked up, that will be synced with a soundtrack, so the lightning and thunder will go off at the same time.

I figure that during parts of the day, the Easter Island pic will be backlit, and then it will dim and fade away when a "rain storm" passes through, and also as the evening progresses. And when there is a lightning flash, then the pic will be briefly backlit to match the lightning and thunder.

To me that sounds like it should work, but if anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-26 05:06 am   Permalink

I am looking forward to how this turns out. This might end up being a new business for you!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation