FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events The Hula Girls-world gallery 9-5-08
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Hula Girls-world gallery 9-5-08
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 12:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-27 10:34, RevBambooBen wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-08-27 10:16, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Sweet!! It's cool you guys are doing a benefit like this. My bro and I lost our DAD to cancer. And I would hate to loose Trestles. I am going to do my best to be there and donate to the cause!!

Cheers to that Spermy!

I lost my dad to cancer too.

Fuck Cancer!

Unfortunately, it's a sad club that so many of us belong to. My Dad died of Cancer two weeks ago. In fact, a couple of days before we played at your store. That's one of the reasons I really enjoyed playing there, as it helped me take my mind of things for just a little while. I was feeling pretty blue, but the Hefewiezen you generously provided your guests helped to take the edge off, that's for sure. That, and the pleasant surroundings, company and general ambiance of your store!

As to the tiki bar, wow! I must have played a million gigs there with various bands over the years. I never actually heard even one "tiki" band play there. I must have missed the boat.

Fuck Cancer!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 09:39 am   Permalink

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 10:08 pm   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt7PtshK1AE

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-03 2:54 pm   Permalink

HULA GIRLS!?!! i like hula girls...their elegant little feet...long, tanned legs...curvy swaying hips...slim, muscular waists and voluminous, beautiful...um? eyes.

oh, it's the band? they're OK too.

i will TOE-tally be there...with NEW ART.

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-03 3:17 pm   Permalink

Whenever you're watching a hula girl dance
You gotta be careful, you're tempting romance
Don't keep your eyes on her hips
Her naughty hula hips
Keep your eyes on the hands

Remember she's telling a story to you
Her opu is swaying, but don't watch the view
Don't concentrate on the swing
It doesn't mean a thing

And when she goes around the island
Swinging hips so tantalizing
Just keep your eyes where they belong
[alternate version]
And when her grass skirt goes a-swishing Because the hula has a feeling
Keep your head and don't go wishing That will send your senses reeling
That you would like to mow the lawn It makes a weak man strong

Your eyes are revealing
You're fooling no one
No use in concealing
You're having some fun

But if you're too young to date
Or over ninety-eight
They tell the story
Just keep your eyes on the hands

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-03 3:24 pm   Permalink

What the hell is going on here?
I'm not wearing a grass skirt.....
No way.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-04 9:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-27 10:34, RevBambooBen wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-08-27 10:16, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Sweet!! It's cool you guys are doing a benefit like this. My bro and I lost our DAD to cancer. And I would hate to loose Trestles. I am going to do my best to be there and donate to the cause!!

Cheers to that Spermy!

I lost my dad to cancer too.

Fuck Cancer!

I agree.
Lost my Dad to lung cancer.
F*** Cigarettes too

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-06 10:48 am   Permalink

A shameless plug for the band we opened up for, The Crowd.

Wow. This is what a good punk band should sound like. So honest and real, not like the modern day insta-punk bands that sound so polished, with perfect singing.
These guys played like a band that has been together for 25 years, which of course, they have.
And what I found to be fantastic was that even with thier well-earned reputation, they had no attitude, and no ego tripping. They were cool guys. Thier lead guitarist and rythem guitarist worked in tandem, to perfection. The bass player was red-hot, and I know good bass playing when I hear it. He made frequent use of the instrument's upper register, ala John Entwhistle, and it sound very rich and thick.
The cops came, though, so I got the heck out of there as soon as they came.
It was nice to see Bamboo Ben there, with his family!
We will try and post some pictures of the Hula Girls in action at the gig very soon.
The Crowd made several good comments to us, about our unique sound, and how "rich and creamy" the steel guitar sounded. I expected them to blow right past us, but they were highly supportive, and good guys.
This was our third gig, and the second with Dominic Tucci on drums. The first gig was at Bamboo Bens, the second was at the Hurley company party last week, and now opening for The Crowd. Next up is the Laguna Beach art festival. Hope to see some tiki centralites soon!

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-11 09:53 am   Permalink

What a great event! The Crowd was amazing and we had a bunch of fun playing too. As far as I know, we'll be playing the closing too. Details to come....

A friend of mine posted a video of us doing our 'hit song', "Hula Girl" on our mySpace site. Check it out
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-11 4:12 pm   Permalink

What a great cause this event was for.I regret not making it to this event due
to a hefty work shedule .My hats off to all those involved artists, musicians etc.
and the time they gave for this event.I went to high school down the street from
the gallery location.I lost two of my best friends in high school to cancer ,so
this really hits home.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-11 5:21 pm   Permalink

It turns out that "stand up for cancer" took in a lot of money during that weekend. I heard that even the cops who showed up ended up making a donation!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation