[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Dan's Stuff
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Dan's Stuff
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-01 4:01 pm   Permalink

I'm back....Check out my latest work! I'd love to get some feedback.

Check out what I call my "Cannibal"

Here are a couple of Tangs

Here's a small moai out of cedar.

Here's another small one a Marquesan.

And another a Tangaroa in the round!

[ This Message was edited by: Bali_Dan 2009-08-10 10:46 ]

View Profile of Bali_Dan Send a personal message to Bali_Dan  Goto the website of Bali_Dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-01 4:24 pm   Permalink

Nice, your "couple of tangs" are very cool.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-01 8:39 pm   Permalink

Agreed, the Tang pair really stick out for me too. Nice stylisation and tats!

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 09:53 am   Permalink

The double tang and the marq are killers. Nice work. What kind of wood?

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 10:41 am   Permalink

Very Cool stuff
really like the disigns on the Tangs

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 11:23 am   Permalink

Awesome. Keep posting!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 7:03 pm   Permalink

Very, very nice carves going on!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-08 09:31 am   Permalink

Well I can't believe its been so long since I last posted something. I guess life just got in the way. Anyway I have a few more carvings to post and these i am putting up for sale in the marketplace. I had a person ask me to make them a yip won and I really liked doing it so I made some more. The first two are from a salvaged piece of pecan. This wood was in bad shape and that is why these are only carved on one side (made to hang on the wall).

39 in. tall, 1 3/4 in. thick, 9 in. wide

36 in. tall, 1 3/4 in. thick, 9 in. wide
This next one is a piece of fir. Very thin so it too is only carved on one side.

48 in. tall, 1 in. thick, 9 in. wide
Hope you like them. They are stained with good old mahogany stain. I have more that I am working on so I will keep posting this time. Sorry I haven't been posting, just been to busy to sit down and post. Thank you for checking them out.

View Profile of Bali_Dan Send a personal message to Bali_Dan  Goto the website of Bali_Dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 09:22 am   Permalink

Nice stuff Dan. Good to see you back. Been a long time. Hope your summer is going great!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-10 09:47 am   Permalink

Well I told you I would post more and here you go. These are the projects I am working on right now. The following are two more yipwon that I am in the process of shaping. They are red oak, and these will be carved on both sides. The taller is 60 in. and the other is 57 in.

The next are some gope boards I am trying. These are 60 in. I tried staining two of them instead of painting. I have had a few people say they like the stained ones so let me know what you think.

These next ones I am trying out the painting. (And yes it looks like I copied a piece that Lake used as inspiration too, sorry man. His is nicer anyway.)These are 60 in. as well.

The next ones I designed myself, the first two are 60 in. And the small one is 36 in. It is designed from a Solomon Island paddle I saw and I am carving it in the gope board style.

I hope all is well in the tiki central world and I hope everyone has fun at Oasis. Comments always welcome and very appreciated.

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 10:01 am   Permalink

Wow, you got skills with the jigsaw!

I like the stained boards over the painted boards, they have a more earthy look.
Maybe if you tried a combo, mostly stained with some paint highlights?
I think that would look great!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-10 10:42 am   Permalink

Thank you 4wd. I think you are right about the stain too, and a combo just might be what the doctor ordered. I use a jigsaw on some of the work and a bandsaw on other parts. The jigsaw breaks the thin parts of the wood where they come to a point, at least thats been the experience. I ruined several of my first attempts at the yipwon because of the jigsaw. But that could have been because of the wood I first tried. Thank you again for your compliment.

Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 5:51 pm   Permalink

Way kool stuff Dan,luv 'n all ya peices.
Cheers Watango

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-10 6:41 pm   Permalink

GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-11 04:15 am   Permalink

Really like em all Dan, the yipwons are beautifully carved and I
like the colors on the boards. Looks like challenging stuff.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation