FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events San Diego Tiki events?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
San Diego Tiki events?
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-12 5:46 pm   Permalink

As a newbie to the TC I thought I would ask if there is a San Diego TC event any time during the year. How many San Diego County members do we have at TC?

By the way, I have really enjoyed perusing endless hours through the hundreds of posts on a topic (tiki) that is near and dear to me. Most of my freinds think its just weird.

Glad to have found a peer group.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-12 8:31 pm   Permalink

Monkeyman,
The last San Diego event we had was a Mini-Crawl consisting of Cocktails at The Lagoon Room, Dinner at The Islands restaurant at the Hanalei Hotel and Drinks at The Bali Hai on Shelter Island. This was back in December of last year (2002). I finished the weekend with my family with breakfast at the Half Moon Bay/Humphries before an afternoon at Sea World (they have a section full of A-Frames and a gift shop packed with Tiki Farm stuff).

The last SD event I can think of prior to this one was called "Tiki Talk" at the Bali Hai. This event consisted of a Shelter Island Tiki Tour as well as a slide presentation by Sven Kirsten and small exhibition by Tiki Bosko. This event was something like 2 years ago (I think).

I was talking to Al (of alnshely) a couple of weeks ago regarding The Islands Restaurant in the Hanalei Hotel and there's a feeling that it won't be open much longer. As such, I think a San Diego Tiki weekend is definitely in order for the near future. Itinerary could consist of Shelter Island Tour (Half Moon Bay/Humphries, Trader Mort's, Bali Hai, and various Polynesian Structures) and of course The Islands Restaurant before its final meeting with the wrecking ball.

I know that Al and I also talked about getting together for the annual Oceanside Luau at the pier. Not sure what month its in but it should be sometime around the summer.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-12 8:32 pm   Permalink

oooo san diego crawl!

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-13 12:38 am   Permalink

Uh-oh, I don't think I can resist!

especially as I have friends I can stay with in San Diego; it'll be a low-overhead drunken revel!!!

Just say when...

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-13 01:18 am   Permalink

I would love to do a San Diego tour but can we please just get through the OC, Vegas, and Palm Springs things first? Those events are gonna make me broke and in need of rehab. Plus, don't you have some kids or something Pop? They've been asking me about you.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-13 07:23 am   Permalink

In a drunken stupor at SF Crawl, Pop confessed to us that he sold his kids into slavery to pay for all these events! Win-win here: cash to crawl, and no kids to find a babysitter for!

ps: Your wife misses you, Pop!

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-03-13 09:05 am   Permalink

Hey Poly Pop,

The tiki in your signature section looks like a dick head!

Hey, your kids are up on ebay.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-13 09:13 am   Permalink

Gee thanks Bong... now I've gotta change it. I had to change my sig because the old image was zapped (along with my webpage) for direct linking.

Bastards -- between my sig and a few images on my eBay About Me page, the bandwidth had to be close to nothing.

And so, Dickhead Moai it is for now...

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-13 09:14 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thor
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-03-13 11:15 am   Permalink

I am up for a mini-crawl in San Diego sometime in the spring/summer. I have to move to New York soon, and there are plenty of tikithingies here in San Diego that I have yet to see.

My two cents,
Thor

View Profile of Thor Send a personal message to Thor  Email Thor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-03-13 12:19 pm   Permalink

If the Islands is threatened with closing soon than that's reason enough to visit my folks and revisit the Islands! Let's plan something.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-03-13 12:46 pm   Permalink

I totally understand the money problem of attending all these events! I won't be able to attend Palm Springs or the Hukilau due to a series of car problems that has put me in a financial bind. But I wouldn't miss Las Vegas next month for anything!

San Diego is much cheaper than Palm Springs or Las Vegas. Flights from the Bay Area are about $70 RT and lodging deals can be found. The Hanalei can cost over $100 a night but there are much cheaper lodgings right near it.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-14 01:31 am   Permalink

Well, I should be living in San diego area in about 7 months (if all goes according to plans) so maybe I'll be in time for the 2nd San diego crawl...count me in

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-15 02:32 am   Permalink

Yep, San Diego's a cheap date in some respects. But if you want to rent a car and buy gas while your here, bring money. As far as SD mini crawl goes, things are pretty centralized here...you go to Shelter Island taking Rosecrans to Byron St left and your in the heart of San Diego tiki country. After that the only place left to go is the Hanalei in Mission Valley about 10 miles east. And as long as you've made it that far, you might as well go the extra 5 miles and you'll be at my place, the tiny hamlet of San Carlos.

[ This Message was edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-03-15 02:41 ]

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ob seagull
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-03-17 6:38 pm   Permalink

don't forget albie's beef inn for some history.

View Profile of ob seagull Send a personal message to ob seagull      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-28 2:44 pm   Permalink

Just bringing up the idea of a San Diego Tiki Crawl again. How does February/March sound? It's far enough in the future that most people haven't made plans yet, it's long enough after the holidays that peoples wallets have recovered, and the weather here will still be better than most of the country.

For Restaurants/Bars to go to there's the Bali Hai, Mr. Tiki, the Islands Restaurant at the Hanalei. For Hotels to stay at there's Humphrey's Half Moon Inn or the Hanalei. There are a number of TCers with home bars in the area that may like to host a stop on the tour. There's also Trader Mort's Liquor store and other places of interest on Shelter Island; the San Diego Tiki Bike Tour; a possible Mira Mesa Hawaiian Plate Lunch/Spam Musubi crawl (hey, someone might want to go with me!); the beautiful tropical gardens in the Zoo & Balboa Park; several Tiki/bamboo/tropical-themed stores in the county; and lots of friendly TCers!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation