FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events San Diego Tiki events?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
San Diego Tiki events?
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-28 2:53 pm   Permalink

Sounds good to me. The new and improved 'OnaTiki lounge should be done by then and we can be a stop on the crawl.

We also have one, and maybe by then, two guest rooms to offer.

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-28 2:53 pm   Permalink

Ok Freddie it all sounds GREAT so which weekend are you thinking man so I can mark it on the calendar?

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-28 3:29 pm   Permalink

TIKI EVENT... SAN DIEGO... Hey, I live in the San Diego area!!!! Count me in!

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-09-28 4:26 pm   Permalink

if you start a mailing list, please put me on it!

etamburine@yahoo.com

we often visit san diego and would definitely like to join the festivities!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-28 7:19 pm   Permalink

Are the rumours regarding Islands closing still swirling? I stopped by this past weekend and, happily, it remains relatively intact. However, the hotel was not crowded.

Freddiefreelance,

What is the tiki bike tour?

Is that lying to the staff at the Half Moon Inn to use their bikes to cruise around Shelter Island (like I did)?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-29 09:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-28 19:19, christiki295 wrote:
Are the rumours regarding Islands closing still swirling? I stopped by this past weekend and, happily, it remains relatively intact. However, the hotel was not crowded.

Freddiefreelance,

What is the tiki bike tour?

Is that lying to the staff at the Half Moon Inn to use their bikes to cruise around Shelter Island (like I did)?

The San Diego Tiki Bike Tour is in PB (Pacific Beach), it's run by Marc Menkin ((858) 488-2209, I think). It's just one of many Tiki related activities in San Diego that people can do when not sitting in Tiki Bars inbibing rum-based concoctions.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-29 10:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-28 14:53, Tiki-Toa wrote:
Ok Freddie it all sounds GREAT so which weekend are you thinking man so I can mark it on the calendar?

So far I'm just throwing the idea out, I may not even be able to attend depending on when we have our Gran'Daughter for the weekend! I just wanted to start the dialog right now so that people could say "The third weekend of March is bad, that's 'Tiki Torch Nights' in Atlanta" or "The last Thursday of the month is Tiki Taix & people may want to go there & then travel down to San Diego on Friday." I know March 27th is Johnnie Velour's anniversary & I wouldn't want to step on their toes by saying that weekend. I'd say the last weekend of February or the first 2 weekends in March, unless there's an overwhelming response to move it to the beginning of April (According to SugarCaddyDaddy's Hoity-Toity Calendar the last weekof April includes "Martini & Manicure Night" at the Purple Orchid, the Tiki-Ti's 43rd anniversary, & Tiki Taix! Sounds like a good time for an LA event, hint, hint).

Like I said at the top of the previous paragraph I may not even be able to attend: as much as I'd like to see an SD Tiki Crawl happen my family, & especially my Gran'Daughter, comes first. I wanted to start the dialog, & I'll be glad to help anyway I can with planning, organizing & set-up, but at the last minute I may have to drive up to Pomona & spend the weekend in LA playing with an almost-2-year-old. There are plenty of Hoity-Toities in SD, OC & LA with experience running something like this & I'll have to defer to them to run this show.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-29 10:57 am   Permalink

Count me in.

Curiously I've got a lot things inked in for Jan, but it's absolutely clear for Feb and Mar -- let's do it!

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga King
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-29 11:24 am   Permalink

Hey.... San Diego TIKI crawl.. Sounds like a great time..
The last event we went to in San Diego was for the opening of Mr Mia Tai's tiki lounge, we had a great time and a lot of TCcers showed up.. count us in...

View Profile of Tonga King Send a personal message to Tonga King  Email Tonga King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sirginn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-09-29 12:06 pm   Permalink

Having moved from the south bay to san diego, we are definitley in.

View Profile of sirginn Send a personal message to sirginn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-29 7:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-12 20:31, PolynesianPop wrote:
Monkeyman,
The last San Diego event we had was a Mini-Crawl consisting of Cocktails at The Lagoon Room, Dinner at The Islands restaurant at the Hanalei Hotel and Drinks at The Bali Hai on Shelter Island.

I finished the weekend with my family with breakfast at the Half Moon Bay/Humphries before an afternoon at Sea World (they have a section full of A-Frames and a gift shop packed with Tiki Farm stuff).

I know that Al and I also talked about getting together for the annual Oceanside Luau at the pier - sometime around the summer.

Great events! Here's another weekend suggestion:

FRIDAY - CITY:

PB Tiki Bike ride day.

Rendezvous at the Moai poolside at the Hanalei;

Exotic drinks and pupus inside at Islands; then

Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge in the Gaslamp.

SATURDAY-SHELTER ISLAND

Rendezvous at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn in the tiki gardens (the hotel would have to set up a bar & tiki torches);

Meander past the Menehune fence and amazing A-frame architecture to Trader Morts (group photo between the tiki and tiki torches);

Exotic drinks and pupus back at the Bali Hai;

Past the tremendous A-Frame portal at Humphrey's - dancing to MaKai disco band
(Maybe they will let the King, Cherry Capri & others perform, also)

SUNDAY - HOME BAR TOURS

This works particularly well on a 3 day weekend such as President's Day or MLK day.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 on 2004-09-29 19:38 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 12:49 am   Permalink

I'm pretty much down with the schedule except I think we should pay a visit to Albee's Beef Inn for a taste of the classic "businessman's 3 martini lunch" cocktail lounge experience (it's pracically right across the freeway from the Hanalei). It's the perfect place to order a Manhatten, push your hat back, loosen your tie and bask in the rays of '60's rat pack cool!

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 9:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-30 00:49, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
I'm pretty much down with the schedule except I think we should pay a visit to Albee's Beef Inn for a taste of the classic "businessman's 3 martini lunch" cocktail lounge experience (it's pracically right across the freeway from the Hanalei). It's the perfect place to order a Manhatten, push your hat back, loosen your tie and bask in the rays of '60's rat pack cool!

Many people will probably prefer to lounge in Rat Pack coolness then pedal their butts around PB. If people like the above posted schedule, there could be a choice of meeting at Albee's for 3 martini lunching or the Tiki Bike Tour before meeting the people who come later in front of the Moai in the Hanalei.

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 11:33 pm   Permalink

San Diego Crawl?
I'm in!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation