FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Creating Tiki ╗ ╗ Other Crafts ╗ ╗ Paul Day Clemens' Tiki Art
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Paul Day Clemens' Tiki Art
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-10 12:58 pm   Permalink

Nonsense, MadDog!

What you did was in NO way a massacre! And thanks for not minding me stealing your own "appropriation"! I think it might be a great poster concept as well as a nifty business card!

And here's a further revision, because I still wasn't pleased with the twins' flower. Now I'm happy with it.

Double Cheers!!

[ This Message was edited by: KreepyTiki 2009-05-06 11:16 ]

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-10 4:52 pm   Permalink

I like the mirrored eyeshadow/flower colors

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2008-09-10 17:00 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-12 3:38 pm   Permalink

After much thought, I would like to offer some criticism..

There is something bugging me about your work and I really had to think to figure out what it was (yes it hurt)...

There appears to be almost 2 styles in use which clash,

The female figures are reasonably finished/polished/semi-realistic and show a degree of experience, thought and a proficiency in the medium used, where the tikis and flowers etc have a naive and slap-happy appearance, almost like the girls were created in Photoshop and the rest in Microsoft Paint.

You can easily tell that a lot of time was taken on the figures to make the color transitions/blends smooth and appealing,
but on the other stuff you can see clear mouse strokes where you have selected a color and simply flicked lines of that color to create an image, no care taken to make realistic-like finishes. The design of most of your tikis could be mistaken for having been created on a flouro-jumbo-etch-a-sketch.

The argument could be made that the "simpler style" parts are done this way to enhance the foreground/predominant area of the composition however with the flowers on the hair and leis this would suggest an awkward confusing layering which I doubt is the case.

I encourage you to visually research the tiki and botany aspects further and sincerely look forward to watching your skills grow, I know you are familiar with Brad Parker's (tikishark) work and you can certainly learn from his consistency in spacial, tonal, and third dimensionality.

Let's see you step it up!
Regards
Tiki Trav

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-12 10:30 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tiki trav 2008-09-13 01:45 ]

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-13 01:04 am   Permalink

Well, Tiki Trav, you certainly have given me a lot to think about, and I am appreciative of your constructive criticism.

As to the clash of stylistic elements, I certainly won't argue that point with you because your observations have merit. Most of my figures are scanned in from drawings I've done, which then have color added in PaintShop Pro (the only program I use -- I don't even have Photoshop). But all of the color work, shadows, and light reflections on the skin are done exclusively in PaintShop Pro with a mouse.

Then, as you correctly observed, the tikis and botanical elements were done exclusively in PaintShop from beginning to end. And I agree that some of the tikis and botanical details do have a rougher, less finessed, more simplistic quality. And, in those instances, I've also been bothered by the inconsistency.

And, for that reason, I consider my best pieces to be "Wild Thing", in which the overall feeling I wanted (and, I think, achieved) was of a heightened, stylized "magical realism" somewhat akin to some of the work of Frida Kahlo. And in that piece I think the cat-girl is commensurate with the background and other details around her.

For example, here's a detail of one of the flowers in "Wild Thing"...

Now, this comes from a rather small area of the painting, yet I approached it and, I think, executed it, with a fair amount of care and detail -- not just quick, haphazard strokes of the mouse. I believe I "painted" it as much as I did the cat-girl's anatomy and facial details.

Yet, with an element like the erupting volcano, I went for a deliberately stylized representation, for which purpose I intentionally avoided trying to replicate an actual volcanic eruption. And, as far as the tiki in that painting, it also has a semi "abstract" quality in terms of use of paint-texture and color that was an entirely conscious choice. In other words, I deliberately avoided going in and adding all the wood-grain and other naturalistic detail, because I didn't want something photographic looking.

In my painting "After Hours", I also took a lot of time and care with each of the four tikis, and am quite pleased with them. For, while the tikis in a few of my paintings are, I think, guilty to some extent, of the "Etch-A-Sketch" charge, the ones in "After Hours" are, I feel, exceptions to that. As are the botanical details, I think...

I really don't see any evident lack of care or glaring absence of realistic detail there. The only thing that did escape me was some finishing detail work along the edge of the thatched roof where some errant mouse lines are, indeed, apparent.

I will admit I didn't give the flowers in the girl's lei or the one in her hair the full amount of attention-to-detail that I might have, but that's because, as small as they are, I really didn't think it necessary. And her body and face are somewhat stylized as well, with a level of detail deliberately left out -- i.e. impressionistic. And in that painting it seems to me that the girl AND her environment are all symbiotic.

So, when it comes to the appearance of conflicting techniques in my work, sometimes that does arise from a certain lack of care or expertise with the computer medium, and sometimes it was a matter of deliberate choice -- experimenting a bit. We're basically talking about stylistic choices here, after all. And a lot of that, by its very nature, is basically subjective.

Finally, in my most recent painting, "Lickatiki", as in "After Hours" before it, I think all the elements -- the girl(s), floral details, and the tiki -- are really all of a piece and don't at all seem to come from different technical approaches or programs. There's really nothing major I feel I would change or do differently with that.

Whereas, some of what you said I think DOES apply to CERTAIN aspects of "Idol Worship", "Island Enchantment", and "Afterglow".

And, re. that latter piece, for example -- the big rootball tiki with the flames in its mouth has never completely pleased me, though I like it more since I toned down the garish colors and the overall brightness. Still, what you said about the obvious mouse-strokes applies, no doubt, to the rootball tiki's "hair" -- it WAS done using quick swirling lines of the mouse in various colors. And, frankly, I'm not ABOUT to take the time required to make each separate root-strand a finished, botanically accurate representation of reality. Because I really don't think it's necessary. The IMPRESSION is that of a chaotic mass of roots catching some of the colored light from both the torches and the brasier of greenish-blue fire.

Anyway, Trav, I do appreciate the time you took to express your thoughts in careful detail, and wanted to reply in the same considered, detailed vein.

Cheers & Mahalos

[ This Message was edited by: KreepyTiki 2008-09-13 10:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: KreepyTiki 2009-05-06 11:25 ]

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-13 01:58 am   Permalink

Wow you took that well!
I guess I have learned something today...
How to give "negative" criticism the right way..
And people could certainly learn from you how to recieve it..

(I deleted my pre-defense-from-the-nicey-nicey-crowd after reading your reply)

Regards
Tiki Trav

KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-13 11:35 am   Permalink

First of all, thanks for YOUR reply, Trav.

Glad we were each able to get something really beneficial from our exchange. It's amazing, sometimes, the needless flaming that can go on in internet forums simply because of egos getting in the way of actual communication!

And now, folks, here's my newest piece -- "Mystic River" or "The Moai The Merrier"!

By the way, the original file-size on this is SO huge that I could generate a SIX FOOT TALL print and it would STILL not be pixelly! So it's always a bit galling to me that I can't display some of my images a bit larger on the art forums.

Anyway, this newest piece is a departure into new territory, for me, in a number of ways. To begin with, as you'll readily notice, there is no erotic element -- no bare-breasted wahines in sight! Just lots-o-tikis!

This was done entirely on black and is my first attempt at an amalgamation of a black velvet painting and one of those 60's black-light posters. And I was definitely going for a playful, almost cartoonish sensibility, so a lot of the landscape elements are pretty stylized, as are the tikis. And though I'm usually a stickler on there being noticeable lighting sources for the various reflected colors on my tikis, I dispensed with that almost entirely here, opting instead for a directly supernatural vibe -- not caring WHY the tikis are glowing all those wild colors.

The one exception I made was to the central tiki in the water flanked by the torches. With that one I let his glow be a direct result of the eerie greenish-yellow flames.

And here's a detail of him...

And the other four tikis...

(NOTE: I wonder why it is that the images that I post here, no matter HOW sharp and clear the originals are, always come out somewhat soft and out-of-focus looking? That really does bug me, because the original images are significantly more detailed. Oh well...)

Interestingly, there was a totally different central waterfall-tiki originally, which, after a fair amount of work I decided to scrap for two reasons. One was that the design made it look like a Halloweenish Jack-O-Lantern kind of thing, which I felt wasn't really in keeping with the kind of vibe I was trying to create here, and, secondly, that something about the color scheme on him didn't really say "tiki" to me, but, instead, something closer to the colors on some Native American totem poles or on certain African tribal masks.

And here's a peek at what that looked like...

Then there was the matter of the original moai I'd done, which I actually painted in its sideways position, only realizing later that the semi-finished product bore more than a little passing resemblance to Richard Nixon!

So, needless to say, I went right to work re-doing him!

Ah! Now THAT'S moai like it! (Sorry! )

And then, lastly, and most interestingly, when I first started working on this piece I did indeed have a semi-nude young lady -- a kind of sorceress/priestess figure -- in the painting, sitting atop a rock in the midst of the waterfall.

She was from a black & white drawing I'd done, and I was just beginning to add colors to her and rough in some of the tikis around her when I realized that she REALLY looked like she'd wandered in from some other painting!

Her sedate solemnity and naturalistic look would be completely at odds with the more playful, slightly psychedelic quality I was shooting for in this piece. Basically, even though she was a fantasy-style figure as well, we're talkin' two distinct TYPES of fantasy here. And she just wasn't gonna fit!

And the rest is hysteria!

Cheers & Mahalos!

[ This Message was edited by: KreepyTiki 2008-09-13 11:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: KreepyTiki 2009-05-06 06:56 ]

Dirk Yates
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-14 05:43 am   Permalink

Aloha kÔkou !!

Its great to finally get a chance to see your work. Keep up the experimentation, your style will morph many times, enjoy each style for its merits and foibles. Talk to you soon.

Dirk
http://www.yatesstudios.com

View Profile of Dirk Yates Send a personal message to Dirk Yates  Email Dirk Yates Goto the website of Dirk Yates     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-15 06:03 am   Permalink

I've finally gotten a version of "Afterglow" that I'm basically happy with.

It turned out to be my Mom, of all people, who clued me in to what had been continuing to bother me when she observed that she continually kept being drawn to the blazing eyes of the big rootball tiki as the focus of the piece. And she was right.

So now that I've toned that element down considerably, I'm much more satisfied with the overall balance.

Cheers!

KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-15 9:10 pm   Permalink

If y'all wanna take a look at some of my NON-tiki stuff, I just posted a new thread in the "Beyond Tiki" section.

Here's the direct link:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29834&forum=6&1

Lemme know whatcha think.

Cheers!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation