FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Tahitian Resort and Tahitian Gardens, Holiday, FL (motel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tahitian Resort and Tahitian Gardens, Holiday, FL (motel)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-02 4:42 pm   Permalink

OK, now I remember this postcard. The first few postcards I got from the Tahitian Motor Lodge listed the location as Tarpon Springs. Then I got an older card that listed it as a Quality Inn in Holiday.

Here are the cards, a slightly different view of the Tiki than the one Johnny Dollar posted.

The Tiki

The pool area at night. Sure looked cool in its prime.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-02 11:14 pm   Permalink

That place needs to be put back together before some developer comes along and razes it for parking space or a Taco Bell.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 07:19 am   Permalink

if you look at tripadvisor.com or similar, the place is considered the worst of the worst as far as accomodations go. someone with deep pockets would be required to make it viable again imho

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 9:52 pm   Permalink

Where are all the insanely rich Texas oilman that make outlandish purchases at?

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-04 04:31 am   Permalink

Here is the the current view of the pool area. I can't imagine this property being revitalized or redeveloped anytime soon. Tahitian Resort is situated in a region of US 19 best described as a land that time forgot where strip mall dilapidation runs amok.

The Tahitian Resort is in dire need of some of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act money.

View Profile of senioraqua Send a personal message to senioraqua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-04 7:20 pm   Permalink

..and more responsible management.That property could at least you a groundskeeper. Nobody wants to stay in a place that run down. Spend a little money and fix it up and it may bring in more customers. I just hate seeing unique places falling into decline.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

JonPez
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 08:29 am   Permalink

My father retired a few years back after being an architect in the Pinellas County area of Florida for almost 40 years. Most of the places he worked on were school renovations and some restaurants from what I could recall. I have been able to find a few postcards of some of the places he designed (such as the Kapok Tree Inn in Madiera Beach, the Chief Charley's restaurants and a few churches) and I wanted to give them to him as a gift. I wasn't sure of how many places he designed so I asked him if he could recall them (so I could secretly buy up some memorabilia for him).
He rattled off some names of places that I knew of, and then he said "and that Tahitian hotel up near Tarpon Springs". My jaw dropped. "The Tahitian Motor Lodge?" I stammered back. "Yep, that and the Tahitian Gardens nearby". I was floored. He didn't recall much, other than the project was one of the first he worked on with his new partners. I asked him if he knew where they got the tikis and decorations from, and he just said they came from a California company that had a a catalog. He couldn't remember the name, but when I mentioned Oceanic Arts, he said that sounded familiar.
Looking back, I remember now there was a small scale model of the place in his firm's front lobby and I used to love to look at the thatched roofs on it, but I was very young (probably 3-4 years old) and never made the connection until he mentioned it.
Unfortunately, most everything was thrown out when the company folded and everyone retired. No blueprints or renderings survived.
I have since purchased some photos for him that were in a newspaper archive that show the buildings during the construction phase and thought I should share them here...

dated June 16, 1969

Entrance, dated August 13, 1969

Tahitian Gardens "Handcraft Huts", dated June 6, 1970

The cafeteria at Tahitian Gardens, dated June 21, 1969

Closeup of tiki outside cafeteria

Closeup of tiki on wall of cafeteria

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 11:26 am   Permalink

Wow, that must have been a shock! Love the pics you DID find, but this story goes to show how much material of Tiki culture got lost. When the son of the architect of such a Tiki temple as this is a committed Tikiphile but has to accept the fact that nuthin' got saved, it's the proof of the ephemeral nature of the much-too-short Tiki phnomenon.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 2:13 pm   Permalink

Yep. Wished I had known/remembered/asked about it when he retired, but tiki wasn't a high priority for me then (gasp!).
My father is astounded that there is even a passing interest in his work. I'll be trying to pull more info out of him regarding this property. He says he has a bunch of old blueprints he has saved, but doesn't think there are any from there, but I can always hope.

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 3:59 pm   Permalink

JonPez,

So glad you got those photos for your Dad, has he seen them yet?

Here is another location that I have seen a postcard from called the Tahitian Gardens, it was located on Sanibel Island. I always thought that the same architectural firm may have done this one as well given the similarities in design and name. Maybe you can ask your Dad if his firm was involved in this one.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 4:10 pm   Permalink

Jon, that's incredible. What a great surprise that must have been. Here's hoping you can dig up some more treasures. Great story and thanks for the pics.

We need to get together again soon. The Florida ohana is in need of a shot in the arm...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-12 06:39 am   Permalink

DC: I'll ask him this weekend.
GatorRob: Yes, we do need to all get together. I haven't seen too many of the Ohana recently, but I did get a chance to see Kailuageoff before he went up north...

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-12 4:50 pm   Permalink

I know the Tahitian Gardens on Sanibel very well. I used to pass by the location while working on the island from time to time. It is now the Tahitian Gardens Shopping Plaza but the restaurant and the main structure of the complex are still intact..for now. It's been a couple of years since I was by there. Here is a view from "Polysat 1" in orbit

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2011-01-12 16:55 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-12 11:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-10 08:29, JonPez wrote:
He didn't recall much, other than the project was one of the first he worked on with his new partners. I asked him if he knew where they got the tikis and decorations from, and he just said they came from a California company that had a a catalog. He couldn't remember the name, but when I mentioned Oceanic Arts, he said that sounded familiar.

Maybe that was the going wisdom among many builders at the time, but the Tikis at the Tahitian resort are really unique, and were most likely ALL carved by Frank Schmudde:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32101&forum=1&vpost=450179

Maybe if you mention his name and show your dad some of the pics, he'll remember more. It is such a bummer that this artist passed on before one of us could get to him. I am considering paying the Tahitian Resort a visit to document it as a "lost civilization"!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-12 11:21 pm   Permalink

Jon Pez, can you also ask your dad if he did this restaurant as part of the Tahitian Gardens condo development:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32239&forum=2

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation