FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Tiki Ti - Favorite Drink?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Ti - Favorite Drink?
gonegoannas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-08 8:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-06 12:29, The Ragin' Rarotongan wrote:
Has anyone been sucessful in reverse engineering this drink for home use? Just curious. Aaron

Maybe.....

View Profile of gonegoannas Send a personal message to gonegoannas  Email gonegoannas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-09 11:16 am   Permalink

I know that there are a few people that say they have gotten it or are really close.
But I hardly ever have that drink, So I'm not sure on how close it is.

for me whenever I walk in there, I always get a Zombie, or Jim's Special.
but there are really so many good drinks there.
grab a menu and pick most any of the rum drinks and you'll be good.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-09-09 3:06 pm   Permalink

My Top Ten:

1. Ray's Mistake
2. Zombie
3. Bayanihan
4. 151 Rum Swizzle
5. Headhunter's Kula
6. Tropical Itch
7. Tiki Kapu
8. Suffering B
9. Missionary's Downfall
10. Jim's Special

As far reproducing the Ray's Mistake, some have gotten really close but none have nailed it yet.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-09 6:24 pm   Permalink

I'd have to say a 151 Rum Swizzle, followed by a Ray's Mistake. Next would be a simple Navy Grog and the Chief Lapu Lapu. As others have said, you just can't order a bad drink at the Ti, so try them all and a have a new favorite each visit.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-09 8:16 pm   Permalink

I just wish that their Navy Grog was like a Trader Vic's Navy Grog.
but I assume most of the older drinks at The Ti are based on The Don The Beachcombers recipes.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-10 07:41 am   Permalink

Ray's Mistake followed by a Navy Grog followed by a Ray's Mistake followed by a Navy Grog followed by a.....waz ure talki I abot?

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Easter Island Elvis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-16 11:55 pm   Permalink

I had my first visit to the Tiki Ti just last Friday and it was amazing. Too amazing for words. I was so overwhelmed and in full tiki overload mode, I blindly ordered a mai tai: classic and simple. And it was incredible. I eagerly await my next visit, in which I will be diving into new and more exotic drinks.

On a fun side note, when I bought my subway ticket to get to the Tiki Ti, the machine gave me change in gold dollars. So I got to pay for my drink with them. If you get a chance, try it out; it'll make you feel like a salty sea dog.

View Profile of Easter Island Elvis Send a personal message to Easter Island Elvis  Email Easter Island Elvis Goto the website of Easter Island Elvis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
reedalong
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-17 10:54 am   Permalink

Am I the only one?

- strictly on the kini popo -

View Profile of reedalong Send a personal message to reedalong      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-17 11:11 am   Permalink

reedalong, I like the Dr. Funk, too. I like how Mike always says "you sure?" even though he knows I've ordered it dozens of times. I think a lot of folks order it based on the name and don't like it. But I love it.

The oft-mentioned (understatement) Ray's Mistake is my favorite, too. It's a sneaky little beast... you don't realize how delicious it is until you find yourself needing to have them as soon as you walk in the door. Each one is a quiet little Tiki-Ti ritual in a glass. No toro necessary.

Another favorite of mine is the Princess Pupuli, largely because it's really the only funny-colored drink I've ever had that I truly liked.

For a while I was getting Missionary Downfalls there -- to be honest, they can be a little hit & miss there, sometimes the peach schnapps is too heavy & the drink is out of whack. But it's often a nice drink (theirs is on the rocks, not blended).

If they weren't so strong, I'd probably order more 151 Swizzles -- they taste just like the apple pie your alcoholic grandmother would have made. It is on the strong side, though, and in the interest of pacing myself & spreading out the drink love, I don't always have one.

I'm feeling very thirsty -- thank goodness I get to go to Tiki-Ti tonight.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-09-17 11:34 am   Permalink

I am actually a big fan of the Dr. Funk, but it would be in my top 10 if I were listing my favorite drinks at Trader Vic's, as the Dr. Funk is in my opinion one of the drinks that I prefer the Trader Vic's version to the Tiki Ti version.

[ This Message was edited by: PiPhiRho 2008-09-17 11:35 ]

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-14 12:03 pm   Permalink

I did a search and I found this old thread. I was interested in what everyones favorite Tiki Ti drinks were. I thought I would give my 2 cents...

I think my favorite is the Burnt Hawaiian. It is one of the spendy ones, but well worth the money to see Michael Sr pour in the what seems like 30+ ingredients. It takes him like 5 minutes to find all the ingredients and mix them all together, it's a great sight to see. Enjoying it is like a different drink with every sip. Layers upon layers of flavor.

A close second for me would be the Puka Puka. Awesome gold rum goodness. What a drink. I wish I had one right now. But I'll be in L.A. at the end of the month, so I will enjoy one then.

I love Tiki Ti soooo much. I would have to say that it is by far the best bar I have ever been to. My brother moved up to L.A. from San Diego with his GF. They broke up a year later and my bro had to find new things to fill his time in a new place. I would go visit him once a month and I would make him go out to new places and try new things. We stumbled into Tiki Ti (and stumbled even more leaving) and it was like opening up a whole new world for me. This place got me addicted to Tiki and now I am waist high in mugs and building a Tiki bar in my garage. Thank you Tiki Ti!!!

Anyone else have a favorite Tiki Ti drink?

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-14 2:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-14 12:03, lunavideogames wrote:
...and building a Tiki bar in my garage. Thank you Tiki Ti!!!

You're lucky you can do that in your garage. Where I live it's always either too hot or too cold to do that. Spring and Fall lasts, maybe, two weeks, heh...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-14 7:08 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I have relatives in Florida and it does get humid there. Here in San Diego, the weather is always perfect. But there is also the sunshine tax. Half a million dollars for a 2 bedroom house. But it's a short walk to the beach and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-15 01:24 am   Permalink

I take my hat off to you, lunavideogames. A newbie who actually used the search function and bumped an old thread. Well done and welcome to the wonderful world of Tiki.

I'll be making my first, and possibly only, visit to the Tiki Ti in August, so besides a Ray's Mistake i might give a Burnt Hawaiian a go also.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-15 04:39 am   Permalink

The Ray's Mistake obviously, the Lemon Hart Lemon Head is bloody good too.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation