FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's Downtown Los Angeles!, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Downtown Los Angeles!, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 09:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-12 22:41, RevBambooBen wrote:
I heard Sven's Team is from Cal-Asia and not using OA as of yet...
I wish them all the best.

I don't have a team. No one works for me, and I work for no one --I have but one master, and I aim to serve him faithfully: TIKI !

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 1:21 pm   Permalink

Just to clarify: Many L.A. Tiki community members and TCers have had the opportunity to meet and talk to John Valencia, the owner of the new L.A. Trader Vic's, at various classic places like the Tiki Ti, the Tonga Hut, and Damon's. John has been exceptionally interested and open towards the Tiki community, and his attention to Tiki detail and tradition has impressed many of us.

So I was very happy to, beginning in the last year, oblige John with some advice regarding the decor of this downtown Trader island. So far, although my work has in no small part aided the resurgence of interest in Trader Vic's franchises, the T.V. company had steered clear of seeking my expertise. So I was very careful to offer only my opinion, not my "demands". John ran by me several possible pieces from the Trader Vic warehouse, which as we all know has been denuded of most classic Tikis in last year's sale. I was able to warn him of the high "Poly-Asian" content in some of those remaining carvings, and give my opinion on various other decor objects. The final decision always rested with him, of course.

I recommended the use of American carvers over the Trader Vic Co. outsources in Asia, but it seems I was only partially successful. As a businessman, John Valencia has the last word on where the investors' money is spent, and so some of the interior Tikis will be Asian-made (this and the fact that the build out will be done by an Asian company is what Ben was referring to)--hopefully though, after I provided John with some traditional Oceanic Art examples, they will be less buddhist and more authentic Polynesian. The good news is that the three large exterior Tikis will be carved by Danny Gallardo aka Tiki Diablo, and that one, the tallest, will resemble the classic De Young Trader Vic's logo Tiki. I am very happy that my expertise could make a difference here, and will continue to offer it as the project progresses.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-01-14 10:27 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 5:50 pm   Permalink

Sven,

Good to hear that you are on the job and that the TV administration is entertaining your input.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 01:02 am   Permalink

Very Cool Sven,

now if we can advise John to get some of the Older Asain Guys.
Alfee for sure from the old Beverly Hills TV's over there, that would be great.
I have talked to a few people that got drinks at The Vegas Vics, and I have had a few at the TV's Lounge in BH that were not up to par.
for me the drinks is just as important as the decor.
I don't mind paying 15 bucks for a Navy Grog , if after 2 I can't feel my feet, and my head is tingling.

so here's to a New start for Vics' in LA.
and where and when do we sign up for Reservations?
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 10:23 am   Permalink

This just in: Mea culpa, I was just going by the name, but Cal-Asia is actually and American owned company. Shows what I know. Not that that matters anyway.
I just want to say that no one here can imagine the behind the scenes work it takes to put such a business up these days. It's not like it used to be, where gas torches and raffia awnings and waterfalls and all that stuff was just plopped in there no questions asked, and smog regulations for Chinese ovens did not exist. The hoops to jump through and compromises to be made are a real challenge, and I commend John for fighting to get everything as close as possible to the way we, and he, would want the place to be. I can say that much, it will NOT just feel like another "franchise".

As for the veteran Beverly Hills bartenders, according to my info, they are still employed by the Hilton, with all its benefits, but John is trying to get them for guest appearances. Yet I see no reason to worry about the level of cocktail quality, there will be a well trained cadre of international mixologists manning the bar.

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 10:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-14 10:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
It's not like it used to be, where gas torches and raffia awnings and waterfalls and all that stuff was just plopped in there no questions asked,

Cheers!

I think "we" hit this point in here somewhere....

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27025&forum=1&259

I wish TVLA all the best luck and hopefully they

can change things (laws) up a bit!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-21 12:15 am   Permalink

Trader John,

I've heard that older vic's have had a some sort of a secret drink menu sort of like In 'n' Out behind the bar. Not sure what sort of bartender staff you have lined up but any chance of being able to get some classic T.V. drinks not listed on the menu?

Regards,
Joe

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderJohn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-21 5:14 pm   Permalink

I will look into it, Thanks for the info.

http://www.myspace.com/tradervicslosangeles

View Profile of TraderJohn Send a personal message to TraderJohn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderJohn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-14 10:12 am   Permalink

Enjoy!!!

View Profile of TraderJohn Send a personal message to TraderJohn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-14 10:15 am   Permalink

hurry the hell up and open!

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-14 10:37 pm   Permalink

Are you still ON for March 15th??

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-15 06:57 am   Permalink

that location looks familiar...was there a restuarant in that space previously?? what was it called?

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robtikiti
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-02-15 9:56 pm   Permalink

Short post on the LA Times food blog:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2009/02/trader-vics-la.html

- - -

re. Tipsy's "that location looks familiar...was there a restaurant in that space previously?? what was it called?"

It's part of the new LA Live complex, just north of the Staples Center. That view is the north side of the complex, on the south side of Olympic Blvd., just east of Figueroa St.

One fear about this location, I visited the new Lucky Strike bowling alley at LA Live a few months back. Luckily I was a guest for the grand opening, otherwise I would have had to drop $25 to park in the LA Live parking. This may get people out of their cars and into public transpo.

My other problem with the location is along the lines of Tipsy's query, which is that it looks like this could have been a Koo Koo Roo location a few months ago and will be a Subway sandwich joint next. It's just a crappy looking store front.

My two cents.

View Profile of robtikiti Send a personal message to robtikiti  Goto the website of robtikiti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-16 10:20 am   Permalink

Regarding the parking, there will be cheaper (even validated?) parking right across the street. To charge that amount of money, In this economy, is ridiculous, I hope the LA Life owner is not digging his own grave.

And that front will certainly not remain looking that bare, that looks like a Blockbuster Video store. Trader John was merely proudly displaying the new sign, which is nice. There will be an awning, plants, some bamboo, and most importantly, an entrance flanked by two Tiki Diablo Tikis.

Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-16 10:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-14 22:37, RevBambooBen wrote:
Are you still ON for March 15th??

April 15th...I'm told.

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation