FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Trader Vic's Downtown Los Angeles!, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Downtown Los Angeles!, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-19 09:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-19 08:53, arriano wrote:
It's a shame, but I have no faith in the Trader Vic's company at all. Overall, their restaurants are often poorly located and poorly executed. Their food is overpriced. Their bottled drinks mixes are bad. Their web site is a joke. Vic Bergeron must be rolling in his grave.

You need to go to Trader Vic's Emeryville.

The food -- while a tad pricey--is delicious and they just brought back their extensive vintage cocktail menu which is amazing.

Plus the location is right on the water and its so picturesque to dine there.

Also they have started using "vintage" TV imagery on coasters and on their menus. Plus every drink that is supposed to come with a decoration i.e a parrot, menehuene, etc now does.

Plus anytime you go to TV Emeryville the place is packed.

So even though MANY of the Trader Vic's are failing and screwing up the classic Emeryville is thriving.

[ This Message was edited by: SandraDee 2014-03-19 09:04 ]

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-19 09:07 am   Permalink

Aloha Trader Vic's Los Angeles.

www.shoptradervics.com no longer seems to be their online page. This seems to be the page to order online from now http://tradervics.com/trading-post/

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-19 09:47 am   Permalink

Their web site no longer shows Los Angeles. Just three locations in the US.

By the way, my last visit was to the Portland TV's. The food and the drinks were great, the location and the décor was memorable, and the place was packed. My group had a very memorable dining experience.

TV's has been, unfortunately, very hit-or-miss in the US. Emeryville, Portland and Atlanta are the only remaining locations.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-19 09:47 am   Permalink

[/quote]

So even though MANY of the Trader Vic's are failing and screwing up the classic Emeryville is thriving.

[/quote]

Amen! Our trip to TV's Emeryville several years ago was phenomenal. I can't wait to go back!

Similarly, the Trader Vic's in Atlanta is a fantastic, classic Tiki experience with excellent food and drinks (or at least it was two years ago when we were there.) I would put that on the "must visit" list.

It seems where TV's is failing miserably is in their more "modern," new location concepts... see, oh, every Trader Vic's that's opened in the US in the last 10+ years that have all gone to the big Luau in the sky.

We definitely saw that with the revamped TV's here in Chicago... the original Palmer House location was incredible and historical. The Rush St. revamp was horribly inconsistent, for the most part, and never really felt quite right (though we went there a good amount, due primarily to a lack of any other actual Tiki establishment within Chicago city limits...)

We went to the LA Vic's a couple years back, and it felt fairly "meh" to me... the giant projection screen TV's blasting basketball and general sports crowd were a major turn-off for me. I understand they needed to appeal to the people coming to that part of town for games, but maybe... just don't open in that part of town.

Our feeling was, in a town with as many phenomenal places to get your Tiki fix as LA has, I didn't really know why anyone would go to that Trader Vic's. Personally, if I lived in LA, I know I would be a regular at the Tonga Hut.

Trader Vic's, as a company, has an amazing history... they really need to embrace that for what it is and be proud of the legacy there and stop trying to make it "hip" and "modern." Make it "classic" and everything else will fall into place. That's certainly what Emeryville has done (and in a different way, Atlanta.)

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-19 09:51 am   Permalink

Very good, Pete. I think that if you can't do it right everywhere, then scale back and do it right in a few places. Maybe they will learn and then grow again in the future. You're right, choice of locations makes a big difference. It seems that whole sports bar crowd is relatively easier to please than the demographic which makes the "good" TV's so successful. It is a shame to see a company with such a rich history fall into such decline.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-19 10:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-19 09:47, Ragbag Comics wrote:
Our feeling was, in a town with as many phenomenal places to get your Tiki fix as LA has, I didn't really know why anyone would go to that Trader Vic's. Personally, if I lived in LA, I know I would be a regular at the Tonga Hut.

--Pete

Exactly

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-19 10:39 am   Permalink

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-19 11:04 am   Permalink

On 2014-03-19 09:47, Ragbag Comics wrote:

--Pete
I like TV’s L A! The food is excellent, the decor , from Danny’s tiki’s standing guard outside to the huge tapa that covers swaths of the walls, is right on. The drinks are better than most tiki establishments, the bartenders are friendly and remember your name and Frank the mgr. is always a great host.
The Big screens; Who cares? I go for the reasons mentioned above.
The “sports crowd”; I seldom see em except when I pass in front of the Yard House or ESPN. Pick your time.
Finally, It’s a business. Are there enough Tikiphiles going to our beloved Palaces ? I go every couple of weeks or so-not as often as I’d like to but as Pete mentioned my favorite TV’s is the Emeryville location.
My Favorite tiki bar is not in LA. It’s in Alameda and one of my Favorite Tiki peeps is a habitu’e there (initials are S D).
Keep in mind when dissing any establishment,some of us like chocolate ice cream-some of us like vanilla. It’s all good!
Cheers : )

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-03-19 16:59 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-19 11:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

It seems where TV's is failing miserably is in their more "modern," new location concepts... see, oh, every Trader Vic's that's opened in the US in the last 10+ years that have all gone to the big Luau in the sky.

I'd mention Trader Vic's Las Vegas too, but honestly, I'd just assume forget it altogether...

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-19 12:08 pm   Permalink

I think the problem that many tiki restaurants run into is simply a fractal expansion of the bad name that "umbrella drinks" got. Initially, these drinks were made using high quality ingredients and were carefully crafted to balance everything that went into it. Over time, increased competition meant lower prices, and lower prices meant compromises in quality. In the end, a Mai Tai at most of these restaurants was a blend of "juice-like ingredients" like Sweet and Sour mix and bright colors. As a result, people started to associate themed restaurants (polynesian themed in particular, but themed in general) with poor quality; and in many cases, they were right.

What Anericans want has also changed. They want an upscale experience, but with a budget price. As any business owner knows, with quality, quantity, and value, you can pick any two. As people are more pressed for time and money (any economist will tell you that Americans in general have vastly less buying power and time than they did 50 years ago), what they want in a restaurant isn't what the Trader Vic's and Polynesian Palaces of old had on offer. True, if they find the right market they'll have an easier time of it, but Tiki simply isn't the zeitgeist that it was. Expectations of otherwise are wishful thinking. All the more reason to cherish the locations that have managed to find the right fit for their market and are thriving while still being able to have a tiki vibe: Smuggler's Cove, Hale Pele, Trader Vic's Emeryville, etc. For the other locations, we should accept that they need to make compromises and be grateful for what they can offer (or simply understand when they close that they didn't find the right market).

The very fact that so many people within the tiki community fight over what's tiki and what isn't is a good indicator that satisfying a large enough audience to be successful in this venture is a tough business!

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-03-19 12:12 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-19 12:35 pm   Permalink

I personally liked going in there before King's games. They have sponsored our room at the last 4 or 5 Tiki Oasis'.

[ This Message was edited by: Rob Roy 2014-03-19 12:44 ]

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-19 3:26 pm   Permalink

A couple of peeps went by today & confirmed the doors are locked, RIP TV LA.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-19 8:49 pm   Permalink

I remember talking to John Valencia (owner) at Damon's before Trader Vic's opened. He asked what he should do to get TC members to frequent the place. I told him not to count on us as we would be a small percentage of his clientele. I told him to just keep the drink and food quality high and consistent and people will come no matter what the decor is. The busiest restaurants in our area and others are that way.

Unfortunately when times are tough the mistake is made to substitute that quality with cheaper ingredients. Always a mistake. Their overhead must be really high as I remember him talking on the news about how the NBA lockout of 2011 affected his business. A small blurb is here:
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/life/nba-delay-will-cause-big-economic-ripples
On the news I believe he said it cut their business by 15-20%, you do the math. Looks like they were bringing in a lot of money at that time. I will never understand how one could make such a huge investment, change things (for the worse), and expect to succeed.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-20 2:46 pm   Permalink

Bad news. RIP Trader Vic's LA. I'm going to the Kraftwerk concert tonight in downtown, I'll try to swing by for some pics. Hopefully someone will be around for some information.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-20 8:17 pm   Permalink

Yup, I'm standing here in front of Trader Vics right now. Some guy working next door said that their dining room was usually slow. People are walking up and are bummed out.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation