FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts ShumiTiki - NEW TIKI bookshelves on page 2!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
ShumiTiki - NEW TIKI bookshelves on page 2!
Shoom'lah

Posted: 2008-09-04 11:55 pm   Permalink

Hey, everyone- I've been following these forums for a while, and only now realized that I've yet to post anything of my own! I've been working on a retro tiki theme for my living room over the past few weeks, something I'm sure you can all relate to, and into about my third coating of wood stain I realized I could post it here, along with some of my character design and illustration work. So, yes- enjoy!

First off, some first draft designs for Pele and Poliahu; Pele's going to be changed a lot, but I'm posting her anyway:

Next a Papua New Guinea-inspired character, definitely drawing from some tiki proportions and aesthetics:

Finally, for my living room, some cardboard and harpie tikis made from furniture boxes:

...and a swithplate for my lights which I woodburned and stained myself:

I want to do tons more tiki work in the future, so here's hoping this is the first of many art dumps!
Here's my site if you want to see more of my work, though not entirely tiki:
http://www.shoomlah.com
-Claire/Shumi

[ This Message was edited by: Shoom'lah 2008-09-18 00:26 ]

View Profile of Shoom'lah Send a personal message to Shoom'lah  Email Shoom'lah Goto the website of Shoom'lah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shoom'lah

Posted: 2008-09-05 12:06 am   Permalink

Crud, forgot this one:

...and this one:

Gads, I've done more than I thought.
-C

[ This Message was edited by: Shoom'lah 2008-09-05 00:11 ]

View Profile of Shoom'lah Send a personal message to Shoom'lah  Email Shoom'lah Goto the website of Shoom'lah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-09-05 12:23 am   Permalink

Checked out your website. Very nice stuff. Mad skills. GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-05 01:51 am   Permalink

I agree with Grog here. Not that I couldn't. Your stuff is amazing. Sure beats the hell out of mine. I rely too much on rendering and Tons of details in my own work, and yours seems to Suggest the details...something I can't do.

Awesome, can't wait to see more.

View Profile of TiKiMaN77 Send a personal message to TiKiMaN77  Email TiKiMaN77 Goto the website of TiKiMaN77     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2008-09-05 05:10 am   Permalink

Ditto...you really have a diverse body of work....very talented!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-05 07:52 am   Permalink

Glad to see you post some work here. I have fav'ed several of your illos at deviantart. Love the Trio.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blowfish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-05 09:23 am   Permalink

Aloha and wow! I really like your Pele! the way you made the hair (at least to me) look like it could be a volcano (that or I am hungover) is really fantastic! The tattoos are great too!

Big aloha!

View Profile of Blowfish Send a personal message to Blowfish  Email Blowfish Goto the website of Blowfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-05 10:11 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC Shoom'lah. Great work - I went snorkling in Hawaii and I didn't see nutin' like this!

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2008-09-05 10:14 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-05 12:11 pm   Permalink

very very VERY rad stuff, man!

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-05 6:04 pm   Permalink

Very nice work, I see a definate Lilo & Stitch style

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-05 9:37 pm   Permalink

I love it all but I think I like the cardboard Tikis best.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-06 12:53 am   Permalink

It is all great!

Keep coming back with more please.

By the way. Any thought to doing prints?

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shoom'lah

Posted: 2008-09-06 09:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-06 00:53, Kahu wrote:
It is all great!

Keep coming back with more please.

By the way. Any thought to doing prints?

All of these are available as prints!
-C

Shoom'lah

Posted: 2008-09-17 02:07 am   Permalink

I've sold ceramic tile coasters on Cafepress before and have been extremely impressed with the quality of the final product, so I was thinking of extending my tiles into the tiki realm... Not to mention the fact that it means I'd have tiles to match my decor!

Anywho, here's the first of at least four designs- I wanted to gauge whether or not people would be interested in such things if reasonably priced. And, I do promise, at least one of them will have a pin-up girl.

-C

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-17 02:46 am   Permalink

Great stuff - I also loved the Mesoamerican characters and (I think?) Pacific Northwest inspired animals on your site too...and the tapirs!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation