FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Drinks and Food Ľ Ľ Mai Kai - Favorite Drink?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Mai Kai - Favorite Drink?
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-17 4:55 pm   Permalink

I realize I may be a bit of a contrarian, but I especially like the Shark Bite.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-17 10:27 pm   Permalink

My favorite drink at the MaiKai is whatever drink is in my hand.

Tonight that was a few Rum Barrels & they were mighty tasty.

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-05 9:59 pm   Permalink

After 52 weeks, 52 Mai-Kai cocktail reviews and more than 50 authentic and "tribute" recipes later, The Atomic Grog's Okole Maluna Society is now complete:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/

You can now post your own ratings on every drink plus leave comments. Also be sure to check out the many special features like our back bar tour, updates on all the rejuvenated Lemon Hart cocktails, an ancestry guide that lists the 30 classic Don the Beachcomber drinks still served at The Mai-Kai, and much more.

FYI, the Top 10 as it now stands is:

1 - Zombie (strong)
2 - Shark Bite (medium)
3 - 151 Swizzle (strong)
4 - Special Planters Punch (strong)
5 - Barrel O' Rum (strong)
6 - Sidewinder's Fang (strong), Mystery Drink (tie)
7 - Jet Pilot (strong)
8 - Cobra Kiss (medium)
9- Rum Julep (medium)
10 - Mutiny (strong)

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 09:09 am   Permalink

Great work! Looking forward to returning to the Mai Kai first time in 6 years this fall. All the drink recipes I've tried at home so far have been winners. Tempted to try the top ten drinks I haven't had yet, as I've never strayed from the "strong" part of the menu.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fallenstar
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-06 4:21 pm   Permalink

Shark Bite, is my favorite, but I have yet to experience one I don't like.

So far I have had:
Hukilau
Shark Bite
SOS
Jet Pilot
Hidden Pearl
Cobra Kiss
151 Swizzle (With Lemon Hart!)

View Profile of Fallenstar Send a personal message to Fallenstar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 4:55 pm   Permalink

The Jet Pilot, Mystery Bowl & Black Magic stick out in my mind from my left visit, but I was pretty buzzed by the time that I left. I'm going back tomorrow night and I'm going tpo work my way through as many of them as possible!

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 10:49 pm   Permalink

My advice to everyone now is you've got to sample the drinks that have returned to using Lemon Hart: Zombie, 151 Swizzle, Special Planters Punch, Jet Pilot, Shrunken Skull, Yeomanís Grog and Oh So Deadly.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/

There are four more to be announced that we'll be sampling Saturday at the Mai-Kai Mixer.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/mai-kai-mixer-on-june-9-serves-up-cocktail-flights-live-music-and-dj-dance-party/

Craig (or anyone else): I can share that list with you if you send me an e-mail or PM.

Kill Devil: There are some great drinks on the medium section of the menu. Don't be afraid to stray from the strong side.

Okole maluna!

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-09 10:15 am   Permalink

New on the blog, a handy index of all 62 recipes:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/mai-kai-cocktail-recipes/

Quickly find a drink from the lists, organized by authentic recipes, ancstor recipes and tribute recipes.

Okole maluna!

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-16 1:50 pm   Permalink

The Mai-Kai Mixer was a big success and we learned even more about the cocktails. Here's a full recap of the flights ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/06/16/cocktail-flights-soar-at-mai-kai-mixer-reveal-revolutionary-use-of-rums/

Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-02 6:52 pm   Permalink

Jet Pilot.......I was at the Mai Kai tonight and had a Jet Pilot and a Zombie. The Jet Pilot was great, but I hate to say I was disappointed in the Zombie. The grapefruit juice was overpowering and not similar to the amount that would be in a Don's mix at all. Don't get me wrong I love the Mai Kai, but I will stick with Jet Pilots for now. It could have just been an off night, but I have had many Zombies there and this one I didn't even finish. Looking forward to the Hukilau....

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 10:21 pm   Permalink

We enjoyed some great "lost cocktails" from the 1956 menu at The Hukilau this year ...

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 07:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-10 22:21, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
We enjoyed some great "lost cocktails" from the 1956 menu at The Hukilau this year ...

I am very sad I didn't get to try any. Stopped by on the way to the airport, didn't have time. I hope they were fantastic. That should be a yearly thing for The Hukilau. What a fantastic idea.

As far as my favorite, I became partial to the Jet Pilot, Special Planter's Punch, and Grandfather Barrel while I was there. Last time I was there it was Zombie and Black Magic.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-14 06:22 am   Permalink

The wife and I had a chance to try a fair number of Mai-Kai cocktails that we had not yet gotten around to at this yearís Hukilau. For me the standout among those was the K.O. Cooler. Iíve had my fair share of homespun Q.B. Coolers but itís not a cocktail that ever gets into heavy home rotation. Mai-Kais version was stellar, and probably near the top of my favorite list. The Zula was another one we hadnít had yet that I thought was really good and knocked the Shark Bite out of the Top 10. All three of Sundayís Lost Cocktails were quite excellent as well.

My Top 10 Mai-Kai list thus far (still probably only 75% through the menu) probably stacks up something like this:

Jet Pilot
Deep Sea Diver
Mutiny
K.O. Cooler
Barrel O Rum
Special Reserve Daiquiri (my wifeís hands-down favorite)
Black Magic
Zombie
Yeomanís Grog
Zula

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 11:44 pm   Permalink

Interesting fun facts, provided by Mai-Kai manager Kern Mattei ...

The Top 5 most popular drinks served in The Molokai bar during the week of The Hukilau:
1. Barrel O' Rum (strong)
2. Mai Tai (strong)
3. Black Magic (strong)
4. Jet Pilot (strong)
5. Mara-Amu (medium)

And the most popular "lost cocktails" from Sunday's party:
1. Last Rites (strong)
2. Demerara Float (medium)
3. Impatient Virgin (mild)

Last Rites: "Lethal - Get your affairs in order."

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 05:50 am   Permalink

That's really cool to know that, Jim. I do believe I had all of the most popular drinks at some point.

On Saturday night, I took some friends of ours on a journey of cocktails from the Mai Kai, with a little help from The Atomic Grog Blog.

First, all of the syrups and liqueurs that I had to make for the drinks:

Our first drink of the night was Planter's Punch:

I'm a fan of the Special Planters Punch myself, so I snuck in some premium rums. It was delicious.

Second drink was the Mara-Amu. Served in the approrpiate glassware for my friends, and in Eekum Bookum mugs that we got at Hukilau:

Our third drink was the Hidden Pearl (tribute recipe). I didn't have the time, or wherewithal to do a proper ice shell, so this one's a shot in the blender.

And our last drink of the night, served in appropriate vessels, was The Black Magic. The womenfolk were too boozy at that point to take more than a sip of this, which meant that we had to finish their drink. About half way through my second black magic (which was actually my 6th drink of the night) I started to see double. I knew it was time to go to bed at that point. They're served in wonderful Hukilau snifters. (Thanks for bringing them back!)

Boy, what an evening!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation