[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Larry Brooks' Tiki Art
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Larry Brooks' Tiki Art
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-09 09:41 am   Permalink

The noir aspect, along with a clear lack of influence from any artist I know of, really makes your work jump, Larry.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-09 10:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-09 06:30, KreepyTiki wrote:
And now for the newest in this unique "Tiki-With-A-Twist" line-up:

'Disputed Territory'

Its funny that the title is "Disputed Territory" and the drawing of the Marquesas Tiki is based on my carving I did for Hula's in Santa Cruz! I'll take it as a complement that my tiki got the spot over the Lono! For future sake, you might want to say if you based your design on someone else's, just like using a quote in a book, a little reference is good! Aloha!

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-09 11:31 am   Permalink

Wow! Just discovered this thread. Sorry I missed it last year. I particularly dig those earlier Mob meets Tiki pieces, but then the surrealism works really well too. Did/does larry sell his work?

ch

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 12:37 am   Permalink

Verrry Nice!
I love the graphite pieces! Very Noir, very illustrative. Would work well for pulp, psychological thrillers, magazine illustrations, etc.

keep them coming for sure!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachcomber Brooks

Posted: 2009-08-11 11:45 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

Its funny that the title is "Disputed Territory" and the drawing of the Marquesas Tiki is based on my carving I did for Hula's in Santa Cruz! I'll take it as a complement that my tiki got the spot over the Lono! For future sake, you might want to say if you based your design on someone else's, just like using a quote in a book, a little reference is good! Aloha!

[/quote]

Sorry, Tony! I honestly had no idea it was your work I was using as a reference. I'm somewhat new to the tiki world and have sometimes just used photos I've stumbled across on the web without knowing WHO carved them. I'm learning, however, so I beg everyone's indulgence!

But I must say I'm honored to have the artist who carved the superb tiki which inspired 'Disputed Territory' comment favorably on my work -- and not just ANY artist, either, but one of the best around!

Maholos, Tony!

View Profile of Beachcomber Brooks Send a personal message to Beachcomber Brooks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachcomber Brooks

Posted: 2009-08-12 06:41 am   Permalink

Aloha and major mahalos to everyone who commented on these latest pieces!

Your words are greatly appreciated, believe me, especially coming from members of the ohana as talented as yourselves. (Not to mention perceptive! lol) The life of an artist can be a lonely one, and I sometimes feel as though I'm working in a vacuum. So your kind feedback has been welcome indeed!

View Profile of Beachcomber Brooks Send a personal message to Beachcomber Brooks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachcomber Brooks

Posted: 2009-08-12 06:49 am   Permalink

It was my dear friend (and manager) Paul (aka KreepyTiki/Castaway Clemens) who first persuaded me to try on the world of tiki for size and, liking the fit, I've decided to follow his lead once again -- this time into the world of low-key tiki erotica.

And so, here's my newest piece...

'For The Love Of Tiki'

Beachcomber Brooks

Posted: 2009-08-12 06:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-09 11:31, cheeky half wrote:
Wow! Just discovered this thread. Sorry I missed it last year. I particularly dig those earlier Mob meets Tiki pieces, but then the surrealism works really well too. Did/does larry sell his work?

ch

Yes, I will, indeed, be selling my work eventually. But at this point I can't put an exact time-frame on that. But rest assured -- TC'ers will hear about it first!

Beachcomber Brooks

Posted: 2009-08-31 10:56 pm   Permalink

And this is...

'Tiki Heaven'

Cheers,

Larrold

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation