FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Show us your SHAG
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Show us your SHAG
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-09-20 10:14 am   Permalink

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-20 11:22 am   Permalink

HI Tiki-Riviera,

OMG...you have the Frank Sinatra, "Broken Bottle" painting!!! It has Frank "the chairman of the board" Sinatra, it has tikis, it has a broken bottle. Everything in life we need to live. I really like the thick black bamboo frame with the minimal blue "matting" or what ever that thing is called.

Secondly, I really like the commissioned piece your sister has. Man, she can pass that on to her kids and that will be an awesome heirloom.

Seriously, thank you for sharing

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-20 11:25 am   Permalink

HI Grog,

I love that painting of Derek Yaniger. I was fortunate enough to pick one up too and I did the same as you and left it be. I have to be honest tough, after seeing how "Humming Bird Surprise" and "Mask of Mohu" turned out, I've been entertaining the idea of framing Derek's painting. What do you think?

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-09-20 11:39 am   Permalink

DEREK!!! GROG thought that was SHAG. GROG always get those two mixed up.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-20 12:56 pm   Permalink

LOL...GROG need post SHAG

Need to share with world.

Monitors wait

Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-21 08:32 am   Permalink

My view in bathroom 2

My view from the master bathroom

Shag in a bag!!!!!!!! been to busy to frame,but I need to step up my game seeing the others on this thread.

And since DEREK is on this thread now........keep them natural baby...........GOT WOOD?

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-21 11:17 pm   Permalink

HI Wildsville Man,

What an impressive collection. I love your "Brown Mug" Shag serigraph. The brown frame looks simply elegant. Most people choose a black frame, but your brown frame and matting on the "Three Suns" is very catchy.

I'm glad to hear that you're planing on eventually framing your Shag original, "Drum Signals". It felt like blasphemy when I took "Humming Bird Surprise" and "Mask of Mohu" to the framers, because I know Shag was trying to make a statement with his choice of framing --or lack of framing. But I just love how they turned out. You have to show us the painting once it is framed.

It seems no one likes to frame their Derek paintings. I love all 3 of them, especially, "Wildsville Man." Just curious, you mentioned that your Shag is in the bedroom, where do you keep your Derek?

[ This Message was edited by: The Monitors 2008-09-21 23:17 ]

Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-22 10:43 am   Permalink

Right Now Shag Prints Get the Bathrooms,

The Original is in the TIKI HUT ROOM with a SAM GAMBINO

DEREK HAS THE LIVINGROOM WITH WILDSVILLE OVER THE FIREPLACE.

MASTERBEDROOM HAS DEREK (VODOOSVILLE) TIM BISKUP,AND DOUG HORNE

SAM GAMBINO AND MILES THOMSPSON GET THE HALL WAY

SAM GAMBINO BEDROOM 2

AND MAYBE SOON A ROBB HAMEL!!!!!!!! HOPE THAT WASN"T TOO OF SUBJECT!!!!!!!

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-22 11:31 am   Permalink

Wildville Man,

That is an impressive collection. I love both your Sam Gambinos, but 2 things that stand out to me is the Miles Thompson and the Tim Biskup.

Thanks for sharing.

The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 11:01 am   Permalink

After listening to the discussion on this post, I do see the beauty of a simple white matting and black frame, so that's what I chose for my recent Shag print, "Blue Seascape".

Did anyone else frame anything lately? I would love to see it.

kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 12:57 pm   Permalink

ok, i just don't get it. i like shag's style too, but why would anybody buy a print for $200-400? it's a print! it's just a poster! they should cost about $20 each! i think tcers should be buying original art from our many talented tc artists. you can get an amazing original piece by ken ruzik for less than a poster by shag.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 5:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-17 11:01, The Monitors wrote:
After listening to the discussion on this post, I do see the beauty of a simple white matting and black frame, so that's what I chose for my recent Shag print, "Blue Seascape".

Did anyone else frame anything lately? I would love to see it.

While not a painting , a serigraph is most decidedly not a poster either .

A serigraph is a silk screened image. With a serigraph the original oil painting is scanned and separated digitally into each color found in the original. A separate silk screen is created for each and every color that was scanned. Each silk screen is precisely placed over the serigraph paper, and then by hand squeegee, paint for a specific color is applied. This single application of one paint color must then dry for at least 24 to 48 hours before the next color paint can be applied. It can take a serigrapher up to 3 months to produce 1 run of as many as 250 serigraphs of the same image.
Serigraphs are produced in small numbers and they are costly to produce . No comparison to a poster .

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 5:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-17 12:57, kingstiedye wrote:
ok, i just don't get it. i like shag's style too, but why would anybody buy a print for $200-400? it's a print! it's just a poster! they should cost about $20 each! i think tcers should be buying original art from our many talented tc artists. you can get an amazing original piece by ken ruzik for less than a poster by shag.

While not a painting , a serigraph is most decidedly not a poster either .

A serigraph is a silk screened image. With a serigraph the original oil painting is scanned and separated digitally into each color found in the original. A separate silk screen is created for each and every color that was scanned. Each silk screen is precisely placed over the serigraph paper, and then by hand squeegee, paint for a specific color is applied. This single application of one paint color must then dry for at least 24 to 48 hours before the next color paint can be applied. It can take a serigrapher up to 3 months to produce 1 run of as many as 250 serigraphs of the same image.
Serigraphs are produced in small numbers and they are costly to produce . No comparison to a poster .

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 5:26 pm   Permalink

did shag make the seriograph, or some minimum wage teenager at a poster shop?
p.s. still looks like a poster to me.

[ This Message was edited by: kingstiedye 2008-10-17 17:27 ]

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 6:02 pm   Permalink

Hi Kingstiedye,

I guess to answer your question the cost of anything is what the market is willing to bear. There's a lot of people out there that consider shag as a "must have".

I recently saw the Shag documentary, "Sophisticated Misfits" and in the bonus portion of the DVD, it shows the anatomy of a Shag serigraph. Jeff Wasserman painstakingly silk screening each of the prints, and there's a lot of possible errors that occur in the way --especially if there's 10 colors involved. You can see Jeff wearing a back brace while doing the whole process, because it is very labor intensive.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate up and coming TC artists out there too, but if they become popular their art / serigraphs will also be in the $300 - $400 range.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation