Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Travel ╗ ╗ Tiki remnants in Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Tiki remnants in Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Eddy Brazil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-19 1:31 pm   Permalink

Owen's bungalows (operated by Owen Lee, ex-member of Jacques Cousteau's diving team) has thatched bungalows - and a decent restaurant for tuna steak (al mojo de ajo) on the point at the end of Playa Las Gatas. As you approach the resort, you encounter some sun-worshipped tiki figures, like these examples:

On the stretch of road from Playa La Ropa into town, all that remains of the Kon Tiki restaurant (someone on Tiki Central has ashtrays from this place) is the signage.

View Profile of Eddy Brazil Send a personal message to Eddy Brazil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-07 11:21 am   Permalink

Nice pictures Eddy !!!
sporkboyofjustice has the ash tray...
From this topic: Kon Tiki Zihuatamejo, Mexico ash tray

[quote]
On 2004-04-30 13:40, sporkboyofjustice wrote:
I picked up a small terra cotta ash tray not too long ago. It's about 3.5 inches in diameter and about 1.75 inches tall. It is marked on one side "Res. Bar Kon-Tiki" and "Zihuatamejo-4-24-71" on the other side.

It's really quite plain with no tikis on it at all. Has anyone seen anything else from this establishment or know of it?

Quote:

On 2004-06-29 16:00, Humuhumu wrote:
The ashtray is from a place that's been around a while and is still open in Zihuatanejo. Those numbers are the old phone number. It's still called Kon-Tiki, but it appears to specialize in pizzas these days. Don't know what the decor is like.

I will go there personally and find out more... I been there before but never saw any tikis... I know "playa la ropa" (ropa= clothes) has that name because one day a ship sinked and the cargo was clothes and they ended up in the beach.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-22 8:31 pm   Permalink

Restaurant Bar
Kon Tiki

PIZZERIA
Zihuatanejo, Gro. Mexico

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation