FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Carving class in San Pedro CA - October 19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki Carving class in San Pedro CA - October 19
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-20 3:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks for sharing the pictures! The detail in the eyes was excellent, but is hard to see in the pictures. You could play around with different stains or some selective burning and sanding to really get them to pop out.

So glad you made it!

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-20 5:38 pm   Permalink

GOOD TIMES HAD BY ALL!!!!!!!

Thanks for making it another great day of carving down at cabrillo

Mieko - thank you for making the trek up from San Diego to lend your carving expertise!!! I had a blast hanging and teaching with you! (e-gawds! she's got some great carving skills!)

KVT - GREAT pictures - thank you for posting them and spreading the tiki carving love! First tiki?!?!?! MY BUTT! He really turned out great and will only get better when you finish him up!

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, but if any surface from our photographer I'll post them. We had a total of 12 carvers ranging from a 5th grader and his middle school age brother to the director of the aquarium! And I have to say, once we got those logs shaved, the tikis that resulted were pretty amazing!

I think we may have some new tiki carvers lurking around the site....

Spermy - we missed you this time around, we'll carve again soon!!!!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 11:54 am   Permalink

Thanks Mieko, yeah - can't see the details too well in the pic because it was dark by the time I got to it. He sat in the Longboard bar listening to the Smokin Menahunes for a while. Already a partier! I met PolyPop there and he took a picture of my tiki too, who know where those pics will turn up?
I didn't take too many pics during class because I was really into the carving. But would love to see any from your photographer if they surface. Hey Polynesiac ~ I was wondering about those carving stands you had @ the class. Where can I get one? I want to set up in my garage so I can finish up my Hawaiian. Got some ideas for his headress, need to smooth him out, and give him some details. I've been bitten by the tiki bug, I hope it's not fatal!

[ This Message was edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2008-10-21 11:59 ]

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 2:00 pm   Permalink

KVT - The carving stands we used in the class are just modified saw horses. They sell a saw horse called a "Burro" at HOme DEPOT for not to much - like $15 or something. They come in 3 sizes and we were using the medium and large stands in the class (the small one is really small - but great for resting your tools on). Then, I screwed a 1x4 to the sides for the tiki to rest on. It's a real quick and inexpensive way to make carving stands. I also use these at home to carve with.

Mieko used a different carving stand (I don't know the name of hers - maybe she'll post it?), but you can purchase one like hers at sears or woodworking stores. Hers has clamps and folds easy for transport.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 3:00 pm   Permalink

You can find folding ones as cheep as $15-$20.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47844

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 3:43 pm   Permalink

I have the black and decker workmate, and it is bit nicer, but most people use the burros.

I've got a link on my website to amazon if you want to look at it:
http://www.tropicaldesignsbymieko.com/articles.html

I've got the other tools that I use up there too.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 4:29 pm   Permalink

I actually use these.

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Plastic-Sawhorse-Bracket-pW3ATTI.aspx

You use your own 2 X 4s so you can make them as tall or short as you want. I'm 6'4" so mine are nice and tall.

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 5:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys! Plenny choices, very helpful.

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation