FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tikisbytyler - Carvings From Neptune - Lono and pals
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Tikisbytyler - Carvings From Neptune - Lono and pals
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-23 07:32 am   Permalink

Hey, I'm new to the tikiroom and forum format. forgive me if I break some rules & point me in the right direction please!!! I have a new website up & would like some feedback. sorry the sight is so crude, but no money yet & this is what I could get for free. I'd love any suggestions for both carvings and the website - http://tikisbytyler.com . Also looking for friends that enjoy tiki life
Here's a little sample of my style:

This guy's in a live tree that hang's over the intracoastal waterway in Pablo Creek, FL

[ This Message was edited by: tikisbytyler 2012-04-26 13:45 ]

View Profile of tikisbytyler Send a personal message to tikisbytyler  Email tikisbytyler Goto the website of tikisbytyler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-05 11:28 pm   Permalink

Trying to get back to the basics & diversify my carving skills. First easter Island style piece made immediate friends with my youngest:

Spending a lot less time with my chainsaw and a lot more with my chisels. To view my full site go to
http://tikisbytyler.com

View Profile of tikisbytyler Send a personal message to tikisbytyler  Email tikisbytyler Goto the website of tikisbytyler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-06 6:41 pm   Permalink

Hey Tyler, the Moai looks good. It's good that you are getting into more chisel work as that produces more finer detail and is the next progression from the chainsaw and grinder. Just keep practicing, every tiki is just practice for the next one.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-07 11:39 am   Permalink

Another variation from my old style. Still haven't let go of the big toothy grin altogether, but he's got more personality i think.

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-07 1:15 pm   Permalink

COOL! The first one's a LIVING tiki!!
Thanks fer postin'

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-07 10:15 pm   Permalink

Worked on my first body this afternoon, WAY different line structure than i'm used to. I think he's shaping up though.

This piece of sable palm was just begging for this shape!

tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-13 9:46 pm   Permalink

If it ever stops raining here I'll put in some work on this guy. That is, if I also stop working 13 hour days in the restaurant. Can someone suggest some good chisels and where to get a better mallet? I'm carving with an old rubber mallet i found in my pop's garage and some chisels that won't seem to hold an edge for *#@%!!! Actually, does anyone have any advice on carving a mallet? I have a nice chunk of ash wood that is about the right size.

tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 05:58 am   Permalink

Gave the Moai some sedona red and urethane:

think it suits him well

tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 10:59 pm   Permalink

Progress on the Hawaiian. I'm not sure where to go with his eyes? Or how to go about shaping the hands. Anyways, he's been a great learning experience so far.

Any feedback out there???

tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 06:01 am   Permalink

Here's a bust I was asked to decorate for a local charity event benifitting the elementary school's art program. Not thrilled with the way it turned out, but limited time. This is the first relief on a flat surface for me.

tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 10:00 am   Permalink

New guy should be shipping off to Canada soon!
That is if he's not too heavy.

tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 12:24 pm   Permalink

Been working on the traditional guy today. One of my neighbors says he's Kuka 'Ilimoku, one says Kanaloa. What do you guys think???

Whatever, he's still got a long way to go. I really need to get some real chisels & gouges. These old rusty straight edges SUCK!!!!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 03:14 am   Permalink

It's Hard to say WHO he is but you Really captured the Traditional Hawaiian tiki look, Excellent stuff!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-04 06:20 am   Permalink

Anybody out there sell me some good chisels cheap??? I'm working with 3 crappy straight edges & a light weight rubber mallet here.

Progress on Traditional Hawaiian:

Still got some work to do on his head. Any suggestions on stain? Light? Dark? Waddya think?

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-04 09:41 am   Permalink

You're getting some Darned Excellent looking tikis there. I prefer medium dark, but the light looks like it will work too!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation