FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Pat's at Punaluu, Hauula, HI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Pat's at Punaluu, Hauula, HI (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-29 10:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-29 14:50, LikaNui wrote:
I may try to grab a few shots of the restaurant at Pat's and post 'em here sometime soon.

LikaNui,

Thanks a lot for the information on Pat's. I had read on the web that it was closed and made the assumption that it had been torn down. I did read somewhere that the owners were going through the permit process to build a new restaurant. That would be great if you could post some pictures of the old building.

Thanks,

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-04 5:12 pm   Permalink

I finally got a chance to drive up to Punaluu this morning.

The "Pat's at Punaluu" building is still there, but is unused and in disrepair. It's also had a lot of the charm remodeled out of it, as is usually the case.

Address is correct:

This is Pat's at Punaluu:

Exterior view - ocean side:

Interior view (through some very dirty windows) looking in the opposite direction (inland) from the postcards.

When there, I didn't think this was the same building, but you can see the tree trunk roof supports, the same roof joists, and what's left of the interior koa paneling on the upper half of the wall on the left.

Another interior view - looking southeast, parallel to the ocean. The tree trunk supports were obviously encased in a low lava rock wall at some point. Also note the white ceilings and walls - light and bright! I guess that koa was just too dark.

The condo building was once amazing, as it had angled concrete railings with geometric cutouts all around the building. But as LikaNui noted, the rebar rusted and big sections of the railing were spalling off. Instead of fixing the concrete railings, they removed them and put up standard aluminum railing. It's ruined the sweeping taper from top to bottom the building once had - too bad.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-04 5:43 pm   Permalink

Aloha, LikaNui, from HTer Ron W., glad to see you here!

I 2nd the tikiyaki sentiment!

Punalu'u is almost the East side of Oahu, pretty much the borderline with the North shore, but rather far from classic NS.
We used to hang in the bar and resteraunt as pictured, in the 70s/80s. It was very relaxed, and needs to be revived. Those pix bring back fond memories of times that are fading fast from daily life.
I usually suggest Pat's for vacationers that don't want to short rent a regular pad in the country.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LikaNui
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-19 9:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-04 17:43, msteeln wrote:
Aloha, LikaNui, from HTer Ron W., glad to see you here! I 2nd the tikiyaki sentiment!

Thanks! And thanks to Koolau for saving me time by taking those photos, too.

Quote:
We used to hang in the bar and resteraunt as pictured, in the 70s/80s. It was very relaxed, and needs to be revived. Those pix bring back fond memories of times that are fading fast from daily life.

I've learned that Bruddah IZ and the Makaha Sons used to play there, among others. Sure would love to see those days come back!

View Profile of LikaNui Send a personal message to LikaNui      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-28 10:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-23 17:20, Dustycajun wrote:

I have only seen two mugs from Pat's. This is the Daga mug.

This mug was posted recently by Bay Park Buzzy appears to be from Pat's as well.

The bottom reads that it was made by Jeanne Ceramics - Hawaii.

Here's a different one from Pat's on ebay right now :

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 3:52 pm   Permalink

Another mug from Pat's, this one has the same Tiki logo as the matchbook I have .... somewhere.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 3:58 pm   Permalink

Check this out, someone made a website out of all of the stuff on this post!

http://patsatpunaluu.org/Restaurant.html

Weird or cool or???

DC

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 6:59 pm   Permalink

I would say its cool! and flattering that they used your post research but they should have given you proper credit. That site is somehow attached to a homeowners association for the condo project you all were talking about. Its is in their Breaking News section.

Quotes from the home site:

"This page contains notices and breaking news of interest to our owners and tenants, including scheduled powerwashing and other maintenance and improvement projects, upcoming meetings and events, any breaking news about service or utility outages, and much more."

"Check our new Restaurant page by clicking here!"

For some reason the home page is password protected.

The quotes come from this site:
http://patsatpunaluu.org/Notices.html

some how it is connected to this site:

http://www.patsatpunaluu.com/

[ This Message was edited by: abstractiki 2009-10-25 12:59 ]

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-25 10:06 am   Permalink

Here's the matchbook that matches the mug.

The website is nice, but I think they should have mentioned where they got the images. It's never cool to post a picture of something that doesn't belong to you unless you give props to the person who took that picture or who owns that item.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LikaNui
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-03 2:43 pm   Permalink

The latest word is that the person who was planning to purchase the old restaurant, tear it down, and build a new one, has backed out of the deal. Mostly because of the bad economy and also because of some stifling local regulations. Inside sources say that it was going to take roughly $7 million to purchase, demo and rebuild. A couple of others considered it very briefly but ran away pretty fast. Don't hold your collective breath waiting for anything to happen at that location.
Darn it.
Sorry I haven't had time to check in here for a while...

View Profile of LikaNui Send a personal message to LikaNui      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LikaNui
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-21 9:04 pm   Permalink

Go to the website for Pat's and you'll find a PDF of the listing of the restaurant for sale.
I'm told by a couple of their board members that there has been zero response to the listing. It's way overpriced, and the restrictions in the new variance are untenable. Who would spend roughly $6 million to tear down the old restaurant and build a brand new one, when they're only allowed to be open four hours a day?!??
Prediction: the old restaurant will be required to be torn down soon because it's a safety hazard. The property may be offered for sale for someone to build a private home, or the condo association may build another condo building on the site, IF they could get financing to do so (highly unlikely).
Frankly, the existing condo building and the one next door (Hanohano Hale) are unsightly blights along that coast, where everything else looks as it did in the 1950s.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-18 8:12 pm   Permalink

Here is a clever little menu I picked up from Pat's. Some funny drink names, an Irish Blessing, and cheers around the world!

(Orchidaceous!! Who thinks of that?)

There was probably no finer St. Patrick's Day party on the Islands then at Pat's.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-02 5:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-23 17:20, Dustycajun wrote:
Does anyone have either of the menus the hostess is holding?

I spotted one of the Tapa menus on ebay a while back

And a postcard showing the outdoor dining patio.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-02 6:31 pm   Permalink

DC, I have seen that Tapa print on that menu before, I think it's a print on cheap packing paper, while the menu the waitress is holding appears to be real Tapa.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation