FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Aku Aku . Cadillac Sands Resort, Cadillac Mi., new photos (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Aku Aku . Cadillac Sands Resort, Cadillac Mi., new photos (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-16 4:38 pm   Permalink

Nice find for the A-frame fanatic! Wish that rendering would be bigger, bet it falls apart once you blow it up like the interiors.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-16 4:55 pm   Permalink

Here's some photos of the card. Love the giant torch on the sign.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-16 7:05 pm   Permalink

i know where to find that same lamp that hangs over the pool..there is one at an antique shop but the owner says it's not for sale...i been tryin though!!!...it is way cool up close....very atomic and the cylinder has small holes all over it to let light out the sides ....the whole lamp is metal and in great shape...makes me wonder now if it is from this place on the postcard....i've never seen this lamp before and i have been thrifting for years now and never came across one...i'll have to ask where they got it from.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 3:04 pm   Permalink

Hey, Cool post and pictures!!!
Don't those things on either side of that velvet painting (especially the one further away)

look like this thing hanging on the far left side of the bar in this picture of the Porthole Lounge????

It is very hard to say in these pictures but it does sort of have the same shape/style. Somebody earlier said they sort of look like Witco's but can't tell.
Someone's got to go do some Investigating!!

Anyone, anyone??

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 6:36 pm   Permalink

Good eye Dan. Looking at the card with a magnifying glass is how I thought they maybe Witcos but it is hard to tell. The Thing to the left in the Porthole is what looks like a ships figurehead the "bare breasted lady type".

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-19 12:30 am   Permalink

Hey Uncle Trav, thanks, I can see that bare breasted woman bang on now! Funny, I couldn't really see that before.
They do look different now.

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-02 2:33 pm   Permalink

Not much to report on the Aku Aku or it's connection to the Leilani in Wi. But I did see this little ad on eBay. It appears that not only did the Aku Aku use images from the Tahitian Lanai in their menu they named the outdoor patio the Tahitian Lanai Patio as well.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 04:30 am   Permalink

I finally was able to do a one day expedition to Cadillac this past weekend. I headed to the local library with hopes of finding a trove of history for both the Sands and the Aku Aku. Blank expressions greeted me as I started asking questions. The research librarian was helpful and very nice but could not help me with any of my questions. The library had zero information on the restaurant and very very little on the resort. I did leave my contact info with her and received a call from another librarian yesterday. I was given the name and number of a nice gentleman at the resort and gave him a call. This gentleman was very nice and helpful but since the resort has changed hands over the years he could not offer any more information on the history of the resort. I did get the name of one of the sons of the original owners who is now in his sixties that would have remembered the resort in the early days of operation. A quick check of the white pages has turned up only a disconnected number. For now the Aku Aku at the Sands Resort only lives on in this thread. I'll keep digging more info and hold down the Tiki fort here in Michigan. Thanks for taking a look.

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 09:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-16 19:05, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

i know where to find that same lamp that hangs over the pool..there is one at an antique shop but the owner says it's not for sale...i been tryin though!!!...it is way cool up close....very atomic and the cylinder has small holes all over it to let light out the sides ....the whole lamp is metal and in great shape...makes me wonder now if it is from this place on the postcard....i've never seen this lamp before and i have been thrifting for years now and never came across one...i'll have to ask where they got it from.....

they finally sold me the lamp !! after 10 yrs of waiting.... It now hangs over our kitchen table.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation