[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Tiki Tag Topper
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki Tag Topper
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-30 5:20 pm   Permalink

What makes Tiki Central more than just a site for casual fans of tiki retail stuff, is the research members contribute to many of these threads. I love these discussions!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-30 7:29 pm   Permalink

Die hard Hot Rod car guy here! Vintage!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-30 9:31 pm   Permalink

I bought some items from obrien, and thats why I had brought that up. So, does anyone know for sure if the cheaper tin toppers were made pre-60's? I have seen the AAA and the felix' cat toppers...Even the shriner ones, but they all seem to have been die cast made. In any case, it is definately a cool piece, and congrats on the find! I also "had" a link to a website that had ALOT of information on tiki gardens, and even had quite a few pictures, postcards and collectibles. Unfortunately, my explorer crashed and I had lost all of my url bookmarks, including my complete desktop. Anyhow, someone here should know about it. It was not a url with tiki gardens in it. I believe it was someones family name, or an unrelated business name, I can't recall which, sorry.
If you should ever cross paths with another, let me know...I'd be interested in acquiring one for my mild kustom 65 KonTikiNental™© ...

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-30 10:16 pm   Permalink

Think this is the site you're referring to: http://home.earthlink.net/~tikigardens/page1.html

Found this as well: http://www.briandjones.net/webfolio.shtml
Could this be something made for this gift store?

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-30 11:33 pm   Permalink

Here is the registered owner.....Does anyone know if hes a TC'er?
Administrative Contact :
YOUHN, chris **
cy@floridata.net
**** C.R. 753 S.
webster, FL 33597
US
Phone: 352-569-****

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-01 03:47 am   Permalink

Tom: Just look on ebay under tag topper or license plate topper. There are always some old tin toppers on there in all kinds of styles and sayings. I saw the web page site as well when searching. It could have been made for that. Even if this thing was made in the 80's it is still old but I just do not see why it was. First it would not fit on newer cars. Second if this was made as a repro that means there was or is a company still making them. I have been going to the Carlisle (starts today) and Fall Hershey AACA swap meets since the 1970s. NSRA events as long. I am a state director for the Kustom Kemps of America since the late 80s. Being in the car business we get catalogs for everything dealer related. I have never seen anyone reproducing these tin toppers anywhere. There is no troble finding these at swap meets in all kinds of condition. I just sold a 53 Kaiser a few years ago. I had two different ones for my Local dealer Logan Motors that went out of Business in 1955. One was tin and the other was yellow plastic. These are very rare in plastic. Great discussion guys. Scott

View Profile of tikicar Send a personal message to tikicar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-10-01 6:13 pm   Permalink

TikiGardener is/was a member that was a wealth if info on the tiki gardens. Maybe they can help?

here's another website dedicated to the tiki gardens (run by tikigardener, I think):

http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

-------------------
*edit* an upon closer inspection my web addressed is the fancy start page for the same web address Murph posted....sorry.

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2008-10-01 18:17 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-05 4:36 pm   Permalink

Well I spent most of the week at the Carlisle car swap meet and show. I talked to several guys who specialize in automobilia stuff and some big dollar items. Every guy I showed it to wanted to buy it. They all said it was real from their experience and they have never seen anyone repro a tin topper except for one that was hand painted for someone special. They said there were a few companies still making them into the 60's. They said you could order very small amounts as low as 50 in most cases. Their thoughts are it was either bought and not used because it would not fit the car it was bought for, because it was a top mount. There were bottom mounts also and sometimes when they orderd they got both ways in the later years and usually the top mounts were still left unsold. Also it could have been a lunch box take home piece from a worker who collected them or just liked it. They said finding unused toppers is not as uncommon as you would think. None of them had ever seen one of Tiki Gardens before. Here are a few pics. You can see the table full of repo cast pieces and some real toppers for sale.

View Profile of tikicar Send a personal message to tikicar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-05 6:14 pm   Permalink

Nice detective work, but the car guys already knew it was vintage. Now, let's talk about how jealous I am that you went to carlisle. Did ya buy anything?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-06 6:07 pm   Permalink

Carlisle is not what it used to be. I has really gone down hill in the last few years. Ebay has hurt all swap meets but Carlisle has hurt itself by having too many events and letting too many tool, socks, spices, baskets etc. dealers in for too long. They are trying to fix it but the damage has been done. There were hundreds of empty spaces in the flea market as well as the car corral. I will be at Hershey starting Wed. This event is still very good but it too has gotten smaller. Internet and Hershey park adding more rides has made it smaller than it once was. But Hershey keeps all car corral cars at 25+ years old and no new parts in the swap meet other than restoration pieces. There is always cool stuff to see there. I did not buy anything really cool at Carlisle. Hopefully do better this week.

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-07 10:03 am   Permalink

Tiki Licence Plate Frame

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-08 5:41 pm   Permalink

Me likey!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation