FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Cajun Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Cajun Tiki
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 11:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-30 23:04, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
DC - Here's a photo I think you'll like.

Way to go Sabu, that is an awesome find. Thanks for posting it on the Cajun Tiki thread. Got to see the exterior of the Huki Lau and the Hawaiian Luau all in one night, spectacular! And Mardi Gras is right around the corner.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 11:23 pm   Permalink

Here's another ad for the Bali Hai:

And here's an interesting matchbook from the Hawaiian Blue Room in the New Orleans Roosevelt Hotel

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 11:37 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

Your working late tonight! Nice ad from the Bali Hai.

I love the caption above the Bali Hai ad:
"Poise is when you raise your eyebrows instead of the roof."

Not sure if that one plays on TC!

Here is a menu I remembered seeing from the Hawaiian Blue Room on Mimi's website:

The Hawaiian Blue Room was located at the Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans. This New Year's Day dinner menu is dated 1939.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-01-30 23:51 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-21 5:00 pm   Permalink

Yea, I finally got a matchbook from the Huki Lau in Metairie.

The other half of the matchbook advertises a sister restaurant.

DC

michmoore

Posted: 2009-05-21 8:30 pm   Permalink

There was a Bamboo Restaurant in Monroe, LA. I don't know if it was tiki themed or just a chinese place. I can't find out much info on it, but at one point it was called the Mai Tai, too.

View Profile of michmoore Send a personal message to michmoore      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-08 5:56 pm   Permalink

Another Cajun Tiki artifact has surfaced - a mug from the Bamboo Villa in New Orleans.

The mug is marked as being made by Johnny Sens with a date of that looks like 1963, which gives us a time frame.

DC

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-09 12:58 am   Permalink

Very nice! I think these Johnny Sens "Frankenstein Tiki" mugs were manufactured for a number of smaller restaurants in the South.

I have one that was made in New Orleans in 1961 for Allman's Restaurant in Ocean Springs, Mississippi.

The marking-pen lettering is actually under the glaze.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-10-09 00:59 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 7:39 pm   Permalink

A new one from New Orleans. Tried for this on ebay to no avail.

The Luau Room located at 3500 Airline Hwy. at Shrewsbury Rd.
Formerly St. Regis Restaurant.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 4:18 pm   Permalink

Saw this matchbook on ebay from the Outrigger Bar and Lounge at the Sheraton-Charles Hotel in New Orleans.

Sure wish there was an interior shot of this place.

DC

puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-14 5:54 pm   Permalink

Here's the other side of the Hawaiian Luau matchcover:

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-13 07:10 am   Permalink

Puamana,

Thanks for posting the back of that matchbook. A knock off on the Trader Vic knock-offs, this time a Skipper - Skipper Vince. I have that matchbook and never really looked at the cool inside.

Here is a matchbook from the Luau Room in New Orleans from ebay, goes with the menu posted previously.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-13 09:34 am   Permalink

Cool, love it when they include the lamps! That, with bamboo font and a Tiki, and you get the style in a nutshell.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-13 8:58 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

I agree, that is one complete matchbook montage.

I have seen that Luau Room tiki before. First I thought it was from the Redondo Polynesian, but not quite.

Any other ideas?

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 6:06 pm   Permalink

Yes, it most closely resembles this particular version of the Trader Vic's logo Tiki:

...which can be found on the largest of all Tiki swizzles, the 9 and 1/2 inch Trader Vic's Maori ceremonial paddle:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 7:18 pm   Permalink

Here we have a great rendering from the Bali Hai restaurant at Pontchartrain Beach in New Orleans from one of the Ford cook books.

Also a nice little write up on the owner Harry J. Batt and his travels for materials to the South Seas.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation