FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Cajun Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Cajun Tiki
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 1:01 pm   Permalink

I just picked up a little army of the classic Moai swizzles from the Hawaiian Luau at the Fontainebleau Hotel in New Orleans.

I also visited the remains of the old Bali Hai at the Beach Restaurant that have been moved to the City Park in Kenner when I was back in NO for Jazz Fest. Snapped a few late-night and Daiquiri infused!) photos.

It was really cool to see a piece of Tiki history up close and personal.

The Tikis are looking a little rough, the bases are starting to rot away due to watering and weed-whacking.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-07 12:43 pm   Permalink

Here is another mug I spotted on ebay that was made by Johnny Sens for a place called Barneys in New Orleans. The listing stated that Barneys was a popular bar on the Chef (Highway 90) in Eastern New Orleans.

And, a matchbook from the Diamond head restaurant located in Baton Rouge.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-19 9:18 pm   Permalink

I acquired two of the Tiki Bob mugs from New Orleans, one from the original Beach Comber and the second from the Bali Hai. The Bali Hai mug is several inches bigger than the Beach Comber mug and has a different style. Did the San Francisco Bob mugs also come in different sizes and styles as well?

A few Tiki Bob ads that were on ebay.

I also found these two photos on line showing the exterior, somehow not as romantic looking as the postcard and the rendering.

Finally, I found a video of the New Orleans Cocktail Chicks interviewing Jay Batt who is the grandson of the original owner of the Bali Hai. Some comical stories of underage Fog Cutter drinking in the Big Easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUOMgaD9Cyo

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 2:00 pm   Permalink

Found some interesting photos on-line of these Tiki head figures that are strangely placed on the main entrance of the old Tulane Medical School in New Orleans. The blog found them on describes the building as a rather somber art deco building without much ornament except for these. They are about eight inches tall.

Cajun Tiki!

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-02 1:15 pm   Permalink

Here is red swizzle variety I purchased from the Outrigger lounge at the Hotel Sheraton Charles hotel in New Orleans.

A nice replication of the menu cover.

I did a little research online and found some actual photos of the Outrigger entrance on St. Charles Street in the French Quarter.

Look at that Tiki out front on the right.

And a close up of some tapa and a Tiki at the entrance inside.

This is really cool find for Dusty CAJUN!

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-06 9:25 pm   Permalink

Picked up another nice little artifact from the Outrigger at the Hotel Sheraton Charles.

An advertising postcard extolling the virtues of the drinks and the tid-bits. Open from 9 A.M., now that's New Orleans style!

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 4:53 pm   Permalink

I don't collect a lot of Tiki mugs, but was happy to get this one from the 1984 Louisiana World Exposition in New Orleans (being a fan of Cajun and all).

Styled after the clasped hands Swiss Movinpick mug

But made in Brazil.

The bottom has a 135 stamp, so I am assuming this was a limited run. I cant' remember seeing this one before and it does not show up on Ooga Mooga. Anybody else got one with a different number on the bottom?

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-29 8:59 pm   Permalink

Ha, that Swiss/German mug was the first thing that came to mind when I saw that poor bastard's face. A good example of Tiki devolution, never seen it before.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-30 10:24 pm   Permalink

By the way, that stiff-lined Moevenpick Tiki DOES have its admirers :

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-01 08:13 am   Permalink

Bigbro,

I had noticed that Movinpick mug on the Tiki Magazine cover as well. Must have been a German artist or something!

I have this other funny mug made in Brazil that is also similar.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-01 1:07 pm   Permalink

How super funky! Westwood, Brazilian style! Hey, I know how it happened! I was over in Rio in the early 90s shooting this music video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoblz9g13NA

when this Voodoo priestess...

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-27 11:26 am   Permalink

Sven, nice video. I was in Rio in the early 90's to. Saw Tina Turner for an HBO live concert.

Here's another old photo from the Bali Hai at the Beach. Good close up image of the restaurant exterior.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-08 5:35 pm   Permalink

I found and old 1966 New Orleans tourist guide that has some nice Tiki ads.

The Outrigger

The Bali Hai

And the Hawaiian Luau at the Fontainbleau.

(A little different than the one posted by Sabu).

DC

forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-08 7:41 pm   Permalink

Awesome thread DustyCajon. I am enjoying looking at this Tiki history.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-26 2:33 pm   Permalink

Saw this great menu cover from the Hawaiian Room at the Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans.

Pre-Tiki - great graphics!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation