FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Adventureland Themed Backyard
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Adventureland Themed Backyard
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 03:14 am   Permalink

That's a one of a kind backyard.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-24 3:52 pm   Permalink

Here are two Jungle Cruise signs that I made for my backyard. These were actually pretty easy to make. Here's what I did: Flickr has an enormous amount of Disneyland photos posted by its users. There's a ton of hi-res images of various signs that you can download. I found photo images of both of these signs, printed them on my 11x17 printer and attached to thin plywood using adhesive spray. I then coated the sign with several layers of clear shalack spray. Once that dried I added a coat of semi-gloss polyurethane spray. These make great conversation pieces to anyone's Adventureland themed backyard or home.

[ This Message was edited by: 2009-06-25 16:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tikinaut 2009-07-14 19:19 ]

View Profile of Tikinaut Send a personal message to Tikinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 3:55 pm   Permalink

Do you plan on also building structures in your backyard to go along with the signs-similiar to what the guy did who built the Jungle Cruise playhouse?

I know you said you dont have tons of room but do you have more plans to expand on your decorating theme?

[ This Message was edited by: leleliz 2009-06-24 15:57 ]

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-24 4:05 pm   Permalink

The guy who built the jungle cruise building constructed an entire working structure. He apparently had plenty of room for that. All I have in my backyard is a hut (which is a concealed tool shed), wood deck, some bamboo walls and a rock terrace. Not a whole lot of room to play with unfortunately. Although, one way I've found to get around that is to build facades, like I did with my Tiki Room building. It's a work in progress so perhaps I may add some more structures. I'll post more pics as I add on.

My wife always kids me that if we had a larger backyard I'd end up building the other three original lands in micro as well. She's probably right. So the smaller space keeps me in check I suppose.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikinaut 2009-06-24 16:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tikinaut 2009-06-24 16:11 ]

View Profile of Tikinaut Send a personal message to Tikinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-06-24 8:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:
So the smaller space keeps me in check I suppose

no...just makes you more creative with the space you got! Your signs look GREAT and ORIGINAL! well done!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-14 7:29 pm   Permalink

My Adventureland trash receptacle in progress. Built using wood, when completed it will resemble the two photos below. The actual metal receptacles used at Disneyland sell for $500. Mine costs only $50!

Any ideas for what I might use to simulate the rivets?

Almost done. Just need to add the graphics to the sides. Note rivets. The deco is actual Disney colors from Home Depot.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikinaut 2009-07-26 13:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tikinaut 2009-07-27 16:54 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-14 8:43 pm   Permalink

You can use 1/4 inch carriage bolts (smooth round-headed bolts) to simulate the rivets, available at any hardware store. Nice looking DL replica trashcan

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-01 4:06 pm   Permalink

My completed Adventureland trash can. Lettering on front was made partially from a stencil and the remainder hand painted. Again, I used the Disney color set which is available at Home Depot.

What to make next...?

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-08-01 4:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-01 16:06, Tikinaut wrote:

What to make next...?

Maybe a reproduction of the Adventureland entrance? It would be awesome!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-03 09:50 am   Permalink

Your wood can looks better than the metal one, wood fits in better with the Adventureland theme.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-15 7:05 pm   Permalink

Tropical Imports sign. Plastic fruit is on clearance at Pier One.

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-15 7:32 pm   Permalink

All the signs are dead on-great work.

I was wondering if you were going to also add any buildings to your backyard to go along with the signs? Kind of in the manner that the other builder did with that Jungle Cruise playhouse deal.

[ This Message was edited by: leleliz 2009-08-15 19:33 ]

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-15 7:49 pm   Permalink

Oh awesome

I look forward to seeing it all come together!

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-16 08:05 am   Permalink

What fun. I love the hippo! The signage is especially well done.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-16 1:13 pm   Permalink

This is a blast. Your eye for detail is really great and you have the skill and creativity to pull off your ideas. The technique for reproducing the signage with printer copies and plywood is a particularly good idea.

The trash can cracks me up in that it's the sort of detail pert near no one would ever bother to reproduce. (And if they did I doubt they'd think about reproducing the look of the rivets.)

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation